RJC1965

520H chip in flywheel magnet

RJC1965

I am replacing my ignition trigger switch and ring. It was really dirty when I pulled the flywheel and stator. I noticed this chip in the flywheel magnet just in this place rest are fine see picture. I am replacing the ignition trigger as my engine would run awesome then just die like I turned the key off. If I waited a few minutes or longer it would start and run fine for awhile then shut off. Anyway am I ok to use the flywheel as is or do I need a new one or can you replace the magnet looks like they are glued in? Thanks Rod 

IMG_0709.jpeg

JoeM

As long as the magnet is not loose. I would run it.

I have had several magnets, in kohlers, come off and get beat up a bit. Just re-glued them back in place and they worked fine. 

• Like 1

WHX??

I'll second Joe I think you would be fine.. Just clean things up and look for other damage. 

RJC1965

Thanks for the advice I cleaned it up and all the rest of the magnets Look great I will get it assembled and hope that fixes my stalling out issue. 

WHX??

I had a a Onan do the same thing. A close inspection of the coil showed a crack in it.  There was a service note or kit. to move it up out of the hot zone. 

20181216_170025.jpg

• Like 1

RJC1965

I will closely inspect the coil as it’s half out I did know that can cause the same intermittent stalling. 

WHX??

Sure lots of coils do that. They heat up and open up. Then they cool and run for a bit. 

Can be a real hair pulled to diagnose. 

RJC1965

WHX is your replacement coil an OEM Onan coil or aftermarket. I see you relocate to top of engine assume to keep cooler. I just placed an order for an aftermarket coil but now wondering how well they will work vs an OEM coil. Thanks 

RJC1965

Update as for now the replacement of the trigger coil and ring seems like it solved the issue. Ran about an hr blowing snow and no issues hopefully it will continue. I do have a replacement coil incase that could have been the issue.

• Like 1

WHX??
On 1/15/2024 at 9:02 PM, RJC1965 said:

WHX is your replacement coil an OEM Onan coil or aftermarket. I see you relocate to top of engine assume to keep cooler. I just placed an order for an aftermarket coil but now wondering how well they will work vs an OEM coil. Thanks 

I don't know RJ... tractor came this way and was already relocated. The relocation bracket doesn't look DIY. So maybe from a dealer or a Onan offering? 

In searching for a coil for another 520 I think I came across a coil that included that relocation bracket. 

It's also been reported that a 3 ohm Harley coil works fine. 

Good to hear the trigger fixed your issue.:handgestures-thumbupright: