Bob Bauer

D160 transmission

Bob Bauer

Hey guys I have a 1974 wheel horse d160 with the hydrostatic transmission that’s leaking by the gasket that I have to replace.Has anyone ever split one and how difficult is it and which side has to be up? I did my 702 and was a piece of cake but worried about this one. Thanks 

daveoman1966

Presuming you mean the gearbox gasket, that is a major teardown.  Have you FIRST tried to tighten the bolts holding the two trans cases together?  

Bob Bauer
1 hour ago, daveoman1966 said:

Presuming you mean the gearbox gasket, that is a major teardown.  Have you FIRST tried to tighten the bolts holding the two trans cases together?  

No I’m not going to take it apart for a couple months yet but just trying to plan ahead a little bit. I was hoping to attempt it myself if I had to but by your answer I won’t be doing that.hopefully I’ll get lucky with tightening the bolts.Thanks 

pfrederi

If it is the transaxle housing gasket  you can.  Check out the Sunstrand manual...

Screenshot 2024-01-15 123208.png

tranny2.png

Bob Bauer
7 hours ago, pfrederi said:

If it is the transaxle housing gasket  you can.  Check out the Sunstrand manual...

tranny2.png

Thanks 

tranny2.png

tranny2.png

thankstranny2.png