RED-Z06

502/552/702 locking throttle cable

RED-Z06

Is there a correct replacement for these?  Mine is non locking and i have to slip a piece of fuel line behind the knob to keep it full speed. I found a few locking cables but the knob isnt similar (doubt mine will come off), and the mount diameter seemed more in line with a farm tractor.

Edit- closest i can find is B1-WH22 which is a locking style but with a different knob, 4ft long...ill try that one.

Edited by RED-Z06
  • Like 1

kpinnc

Not sure if by "non-locking" you mean wrong cable or broken.

If broken a good fix is to drill the handle and add a roll pin so the knob won't spin on the shaft.

I've done a couple of mine this way and never again had trouble with them.

IMG_20220212_204514688.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

RED-Z06
57 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Not sure if by "non-locking" you mean wrong cable or broken.

If broken a good fix is to drill the handle and add a roll pin so the knob won't spin on the shaft.

I've done a couple of mine this way and never again had trouble with them.

In 02 I took it to a WH dealer to wire it up and put a cable on..they put on a non-locking cable...its just a normal push pull cable.

• Sad 2

kpinnc
14 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

In 02 I took it to a WH dealer to wire it up and put a cable on..they put on a non-locking cable...its just a normal push pull cable.

Well that's sad. ...and somehow not surprising! :blink:

But- when you get a new cable, put the roll pin in and make it a permanent fix!

• Like 1

ri702bill

The original throttle has a 2 pc brass split sleeve - twisting the throttle knob rotates the cable and "locks" it. Choke cable does not have that.

Check online - a shop out of Tennessee sells repro WWII Jeep cables - they used a locking version too.

• Like 3

Achto

These cables have the original looking knobs and work absolutely awesome. I love the one that I have on my 701. You can literally pull the knob out, lock it and use the knob to push the tractor. The knob will not push in until you give it a 1/4 turn to unlock the ratchet mechanism.

https://www.armyjeepparts.com/p-2637-throttle-cable-with-ratcheting-round-black-knob-cj2a-jeep-nos-wo-640669.aspx?network=g&device=c&keyword=&campaign=10021783397&adgroup=pla-298431537838&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA44OtBhAOEiwAj4gpOcuC5OM2D3U9Y2rgjYDrqkS_Gztc7MtONxp0JmjOQqkl-rqB8L3fmBoCw3wQAvD_BwE

Note: you will need to trim it to length.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

RED-Z06
19 minutes ago, Achto said:

These cables have the original looking knobs and work absolutely awesome. I love the one that I have on my 701. You can literally pull the knob out, lock it and use the knob to push the tractor. The knob will not push in until you give it a 1/4 turn to unlock the ratchet mechanism.

https://www.armyjeepparts.com/p-2637-throttle-cable-with-ratcheting-round-black-knob-cj2a-jeep-nos-wo-640669.aspx?network=g&device=c&keyword=&campaign=10021783397&adgroup=pla-298431537838&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA44OtBhAOEiwAj4gpOcuC5OM2D3U9Y2rgjYDrqkS_Gztc7MtONxp0JmjOQqkl-rqB8L3fmBoCw3wQAvD_BwE

That's basically identical knob wise.  Ill probably order one just to have it

• Like 3

WHX??
47 minutes ago, Achto said:

I thought you said these were NLA? You holding out on me? 

I use a clothes pin ... clip it on the shifter lever when not required.  

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 4

Achto
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

I thought you said these were NLA? You holding out on me? 

Did a search when I saw this post & they popped up again.

• Haha 2

Bill D
4 hours ago, Achto said:

Those Jeep cables were probably made by the same company that made them for Wheel Horse.  If they're truly NOS cables they should be made the USA just like the originals.

• Like 3

RED-Z06
3 hours ago, Achto said:

Did a search when I saw this post & they popped up again.

I have a concern, the 3rd photo seems to show the full length being fairly short.  Also...how do you add it to your cart to buy

Screenshot_20240112_222226_Chrome.jpg

Edited by RED-Z06
  • Like 1

Treepep
12 hours ago, ri702bill said:

The original throttle has a 2 pc brass split sleeve - twisting the throttle knob rotates the cable and "locks" it. Choke cable does not have that.

Check online - a shop out of Tennessee sells repro WWII Jeep cables - they used a locking version too.

That is what I have on my GT-14.  It is a great improvement from the original. (no clue if that tractor came with a locking throttle)  Mine did and it was terrible. A member directed me to the jeep cable.

• Like 2

Treepep

I went with the "T" handle.  Just my preference.  I never enjoyed the twist lock.  

jeep.jpg

• Like 3

WHX??
17 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

show the full length being fairly short.  Also...how do you add it to your cart to buy

That is a good question. they don't list the length and there is no cart. 

Guess one has to call to order. 

• Like 1

kpinnc

I just use these. Not correct, but with the roll pin mod they work great.

Ebay throttle cable

• Like 1

WHX??
On 1/13/2024 at 4:13 PM, kpinnc said:

I just use these. Not correct, but with the roll pin mod they work great.

Ebay throttle cable

What's the roll pin mod KP? 

Up date on the Jeep ones

I called the place and found you can't order them because the NOS-ones are NLA and I would guess thats the one @Achto 

has. SOB got the last one.... :lol:

The gal says they have one that  is not NOS with the same part #. it does lock tho I guess. 

Iv'e peed away 16 bucks in worse ways so I ordered one and will see what shakes. 

https://www.armyjeepparts.com/p-3896-throttle-cable-round-black-knob-cj2a-jeep-nos-wo-640669.aspx

RED-Z06
34 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Up date on the Jeep ones

I called the place and found you can't order them because the NOS-ones are NLA and I would guess thats the one @Achto 

has. SOB got the last one.... :lol:

The gal says they have one that  is not NOS with the same part #. it does lock tho I guess. 

Iv'e peed away 16 bucks in worse ways so I ordered one and will see what shakes. 

https://www.armyjeepparts.com/p-3896-throttle-cable-round-black-knob-cj2a-jeep-nos-wo-640669.aspx

Definitely let us know, I saw that one but it never said locking.

WHX??

She said it does... we'll see. 

• Excellent 1

kpinnc
7 hours ago, WHX?? said:

I put a 1/8 roll pin in my twist lock throttle cables. Otherwise the plastic knob spins freely and makes the lock useless. No more vice grip throttle locks!

• Thanks 1

WHX??
On 1/15/2024 at 4:02 PM, RED-Z06 said:

Definitely let us know, I saw that one but it never said locking.

On 1/15/2024 at 5:25 PM, WHX?? said:

She said it does... we'll see. 

Just got it today and must say mildly disappointed. Not even close to what Dan's is. 

Does not lock at all ... strait push pull. 

The wire was bent making it difficult to push pull. Maybe that's their stay where you want it feature?  Pliers easily straitened it.. 

No nut for the mount so off to search the nut bins. The shoulder diameter is very small so an exact washer or exact hole size is going to be needed to mount. Not much for thread length so would be fun mounting in thicker dashes 

Over all length is 50" so more than enough for a round hood. 

Knob is early '60s period correct. 

This is the same one I order off fleabay awhile back for the 701 resto. 

All said and done I would go with the later '60s one KP piced unless it really really had to be close to original. Not sure if it will go on the 502 yet

20240119_145628.jpg

20240119_145818.jpg

20240119_150140.jpg

RED-Z06
6 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Just got it today and must say mildly disappointed. Not even close to what Dan's is. 

Does not lock at all ... strait push pull. 

The wire was bent making it difficult to push pull. Maybe that's their stay where you want it feature?  Pliers easily straitened it.. 

No nut for the mount so off to search the nut bins. The shoulder diameter is very small so an exact washer or exact hole size is going to be needed to mount. Not much for thread length so would be fun mounting in thicker dashes 

Over all length is 50" so more than enough for a round hood. 

Knob is early '60s period correct. 

This is the same one I order off fleabay awhile back for the 701 resto. 

All said and done I would go with the later '60s one KP piced unless it really really had to be close to original. Not sure if it will go on the 502 yet

20240119_145628.jpg

20240119_145818.jpg

20240119_150140.jpg

Mine came today too.  Its the large dished knob, very robust mount, with a nut.  Definitely shortening it alot but the Z bender helps.

• Like 1

WHX??
8 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

the Z bender helps.

Absolutely... for what little they are in the jungle everyone here should have  one. 

• Like 1

squonk

That Army Jeep throttle cable looks like it came from Col. Potter's jeep! 

• Haha 1

RED-Z06

Welp...the cable didnt last long, the knob is twisting and the lock portion is trash.  For over $30 i expected more.  Its not worth getting to my drill press to try and find a bit tiny enough to drill the knob, because the twist lock is not working right either.

• Sad 1

wallfish

They should only turn about 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn to lock/unlock so I install them with the throttle in the locked position. Full throttle position locked and adjust the max RPM with the cable clamp near the governor.

It shouldn't take much force to lock them so twisting the knob loose from the shaft on a new one shouldn't happen although some of the cheaper ones aren't really secured well. But over a long time it does happen. Wonder if you got lemon?

Pretty sure that Jeep one has a threaded plastic insert that squeezes to lock the position and twisting too hard could possibly strip the threads. Maybe you can cut off the Z bend and untwist it open to see what's going on with it.

If it's installed where you need to twist it more than a 1/4 turn to lock it then you should reset the Z bend cable connection at the governor because the cable will untwist it or make it too difficult to lock it.

Not sure if  this applies to yours but adding the info for future searches

• Like 1