Cody

New muffler for an old horse

ebinmaine

Niiiiice! 

How's the volume and tone?

• Like 1

Cody

It's one of the quietest c series I have,  granted most those mufflers are 50 years old now. About 10 years go I bought a new muffler from my local dealer for my c160, it was $180 back then and now they're NLA.  But it's every bit as quiet as the new factory muffler I put on that c160.

Edited by Cody
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Achto

Excellent work! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Tonytoro416

I did basically the same thing with two rotted Nelson’s I had laying around.  I also hated the configuration so I reconfigured it when welding to be more like a onan style.   I was happy with how it turned out.  Tucks in nicely by the hood and sounds really good. 

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0489.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

Yup.  I considered that for a replacement muffler for my C-195 last summer.  I ended up making a stack instead.

• Like 2

Moparfanforever

Nice build!!

How did you use the freeze plug??

• Like 1

8ntruck
1 hour ago, Moparfanforever said:

Nice build!!

How did you use the freeze plug??

Looks like he blocked off the original exit on the Cub muffler so he could have a side exit, per the original muffler.

• Like 1

Cody

The inlet pipe on the muffler goes in the body about 4 1/2 inches and has 40 holes on each end. The 1 3/8 freeze plug fits perfectly inside the inlet pipe and goes in the middle of the inlet pipe between both sets of holes and acts like a baffle. I can take a picture of the original one tonight to better show what I'm talking about. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Cody said:

picture

Yes please.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Tonytoro416

Yes 👍 I also recreated that same baffle design on mine as I was worried about back pressure or lack of.   I drilled holes in my “baffle” then took a carbide bit and kind of tear drop shaped them. Basically trying to make the airflow easier I reckon 

• Like 1

Tonytoro416

When I jumped into mine I was just trying to save a Nelson and it turned into a rebuild so I didn’t take any pictures and wish I would have.  I was actually proud of how it turned out inside.  Of course you can’t see that part lol 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Tonytoro416 said:

When I jumped into mine I was just trying to save a Nelson and it turned into a rebuild so I didn’t take any pictures and wish I would have.  I was actually proud of how it turned out inside.  Of course you can’t see that part lol 

You know the Redsquare rules Tony!!

No pics it didn't happen!!

😂

• Like 2

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Tonytoro416 said:

worried about back pressure or lack of.  

Some interesting research therein. 

Many say that whole "you NEED backpressure" thing is a myth.  

Look at the pulling crowd. 

LOTS of engines with straight pipes and NO restrictions.  

• Like 1

Cody

Here's some pictures of the original baffles, in the second picture you can see where the freeze plug was used,  I used a 3 1/4 and 1 1/2 hole Saw to make the other peice that was welded in the center of the original muffler body as well.  

20240112_141547.jpg

20240112_141556.jpg

20240112_141619.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Tonytoro416
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

You know the Redsquare rules Tony!!

No pics it didn't happen!!

😂

I totally get it lol.  Unfortunately that’s when I do my best “work”lol 

• Like 2

Tonytoro416
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Some interesting research therein. 

Many say that whole "you NEED backpressure" thing is a myth.  

Look at the pulling crowd. 

LOTS of engines with straight pipes and NO restrictions.  

Yea normally long pipes though.  I took an original style Nelson that has what 10” pipe from head to muffler?   I went from that to about four inches out of the head so I felt it was important to not find out if it was a myth. lol the 241 in my b100 is tired as it is 

• Like 2

biged77

I recently removed the muffler from my 416-8 to see if it was causing an intermittent problem with the engine sputtering and bogging down when increasing speed or under load.  Sure enough the inlet baffle had come apart and the loose pieces were laying in the bottom of the muffler. 

I installed the muffler from my good running 414-8 and the engine issues were resolved.  The 416-8 and 414-8 mufflers both had about 1200 hours.  The 414-8 muffler has some issues also but these do not affect operation.

I have ordered a stack muffler from @jimkemp. He no longer makes the original Nelson type mufflers. 

2099120016_416-8muffleropen.jpg.2ec0c1f227f7cbc4a8f2f0e3c90814f9.jpg

1757538388_416-8mufflerparts.jpg.63c262ee7e34f716711ea4a861ccd44c.jpg

Bottom photo:  Muffler internals after cutting end off showing the loose pieces which were causing the problem.

Top photo: After cutting off the inlet baffle I considered welding the end back on and reusing the muffler but noticed the shell was thin where the exhaust had hit it after the baffle had come apart.  So I ordered the stack muffler.

Notice the shiny metal around the hole where the loose parts had bounced around and caused the intermittent problem. 

I hate to admit how many things I tried to correct this problem (over several years) before resolving the issue which turned out to be so simple.  The intermittent part was what confused me I guess.  

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Tonytoro416

It probably would seal back up at times and then get jarred loose and again and cause a restriction or lean condition.  I did a fair amount of looking how mufflers were designed after I realized the one couldn’t be saved.  Definitely holds some merit and I would say even more so in a twin cylinder application 

• Like 3