8ntruck

New Computer

8ntruck

We just brought a low end HP laptop computer today.  We intend to use it to check our email and do  some bill management.  

During the initial startup, it appeared that we need to open a Microsoft account to use the machine.

Can somebody please explain why we need a Microsoft account on the new computer?  Other than Windows, we don't plan on using any other MIcrosoft product. 

lynnmor
3 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Can somebody please explain why we need a Microsoft account on the new computer? 

They just want to mind your business for their benefit, if you want some privacy just give phony information.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

They just want to mind your business for their benefit, if you want some privacy just give phony information.

That's what I figure too.  

Trina just got her mom a smart phone. 

Calls only. No data. No internet access. 

Yet she "had to" open a Gmail account to tell the phone she was refusing Gmail and all the Google apps. 

• Confused 1

cafoose

1. Follow the Windows 11 install process until you get to the "choose a country" screen. 

Now's the time to cut off the Internet. However, before you do, you need to issue a command that prevents Windows 11 from forcing you to have an Internet connection.

2. Hit Shift + F10. A command prompt appears. 

3. Type OOBE\BYPASSNRO to disable the Internet connection requirement. 

The computer will reboot and return you to this screen.

4. Hit Shift + F10 again and this time Type ipconfig /release. Then hit Enter to disable the Internet.

5. Close the command prompt.

6. Continue with the installation, choosing the region. keyboard and second keyboard option.

A screen saying "Let's connect you to a network" appears, warning you that you need Internet.

7. Click "I don't have Internet" to continue.

A new login screen appears asking "Who's going to use this device?"

8. Enter a username you want to use for your local account and click Next.

9. Enter a password you would like to use and click Next. You can also leave this field blank and have no password, but that's not recommended.

10. Complete the rest of the install process as you normally would.

• Like 1

8ntruck

Yup.  I figured the account was for tracking, advertising, and general 'helpfulness' (harassment).

I fired up my tablet to find a workaround.  More or less used @cafoose method.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977

That statement you won't own anything, but you will be happy. That is if you can pay the monthly fee for everything you want.

• Like 1

Sailman
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

That statement you won't own anything, but you will be happy. That is if you can pay the monthly fee for everything you want.

That is exactly what the elites have planned for us per Klaus Schwab and the WEF ( World Economic Forum) ie. The Davos Crowd.

All the software companies are going to that subscription based model...Act, Quickbooks, et.....Really sucks!

• Like 1

Handy Don
9 hours ago, Sailman said:

That is exactly what the elites have planned for us per Klaus Schwab and the WEF ( World Economic Forum) ie. The Davos Crowd.

All the software companies are going to that subscription based model...Act, Quickbooks, et.....Really sucks!

Another point of view?

As someone who made my living designing software, I can attest to how hard it is to bring a product to market and then keep it supported across constantly changing hardware and operating systems. Only a very few applications have ever commanded one-time prices that fully offset the development cost with some profit. Most survived using the “buy now then upgrade every couple of years for more features” method. While i wasn’t initially a fan of the subscription model, I’ve come to accept it.

Rick3478
23 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Another point of view?

As someone who made my living designing software, I can attest to how hard it is to bring a product to market and then keep it supported across constantly changing hardware and operating systems. Only a very few applications have ever commanded one-time prices that fully offset the development cost with some profit. Most survived using the “buy now then upgrade every couple of years for more features” method. While i wasn’t initially a fan of the subscription model, I’ve come to accept it.

The flip side of that, as one who has been on both sides, I don't mind paying for software that does what I bought it for, but I won't give you two bits for anything that's been crippled with a subscription key or depends on a remote server.

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, Rick3478 said:

The flip side of that, as one who has been on both sides, I don't mind paying for software that does what I bought it for, but I won't give you two bits for anything that's been crippled with a subscription key or depends on a remote server.

I fully accept your position and it is righteous if you have never shared a copy of something you bought. Sadly, piracy of software, music, video, and other intellectual property is rampant.

Rick3478
40 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I fully accept your position and it is righteous if you have never shared a copy of something you bought. Sadly, piracy of software, music, video, and other intellectual property is rampant.

Volumes can be written about the concept of "intellectual property".  About the only way to control an idea is to keep it to yourself.  I'll just leave it there.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sailman

I understand the reasons behind the subscription model. It's just that it unfairly handicaps a small business like I have owned. I paid for a new version of Act and Quick books every few years and that served my purpose and amortized my expense in a way that made sense. Never pirated any software and never gave mine to anyone. Now I am locked out of my software if I don't subscribe. One of the reasons I have shut down my charter business this year. Corporate America has made it too hard to stay in business....they all want more $$ for less service. So fine, they won't get any from me.

Just like the Chiefs / Miami game yesterday. You HAVE to subscribe to Peacock to see the game. Oh yah? Got no interest in doing that. :ranting:    Rant over...

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 3

rmaynard

Back in 2008, I was happily using image software from a company called ACDsee. It worked well. I wanted more power, so I purchased their lastest version in 2013. The agreement said "lifetime". 2013 through most of 2023 I had no problem with it. Then when Microsoft told me that I had to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, my ACDsee 13 no longer worked. I contacted them and they found my account, said it should work. I found the original download and reinstalled it on all of my now upgraded Windows 10 computers. However, every time that I use the program now it asks me for my installation key to continue. ACDsee can't seem to figure out why, but they are very happy to sell me new software at a "reduced just for me" price.

Handy Don
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I contacted them and they found my account, said it should work.

2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Bob, for a bit of background, be impressed that the customer support team exists and answered your call. At a big bank I worked for, cost averaged about $50 per support call. 

I can understand the frustration with having your “only” ten year old software stop working conveniently but I’ll note that the differences between Win7 and Win10 are huge. I’m shocked your app worked at all, despite the rep saying “it should”.  That said, it is utterly uneconomic for the vendor to put your 2013 version of the software through a proper QA process under Win10 and then expend effort to built, test, and distribute a compatible upgrade when they’re likely supporting a newer, fully-compatible version (which they want you to buy)!

😢

• Like 1