cleat

520HC plowing snow today.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

What a great job. Thanks for posting that. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

What a great job. Thanks for posting that. 

Agreed! 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I've subscribed to your YT channel.  Keep em coming! 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, cleat said:

36 years old and still working great.

Cleat?      :confusion-confused:

Great video,  kudos to your camera person.            Good testimony to the efficiency of a foot pedal controlled hydro tranny and hyd. lift for snow removal.    :handgestures-thumbupright: 

• Like 2

cleat
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Cleat?      :confusion-confused:

Great video,  kudos to your camera person.            Good testimony to the efficiency of a foot pedal controlled hydro tranny and hyd. lift for snow removal.    :handgestures-thumbupright: 

I wish I were only 36...

My wife is the photographer and will be thrilled that her work is appreciated. 

Yes Matt's foot control, hydraulic lift, and the quicker ground speed and non reduction steering on the HC make for a perfect plow tractor.

Edited by cleat
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5

Sparky

Very impressive for having no weights….unless the tires are loaded?

• Like 3

cleat
50 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Tires are loaded.

No traction issues whatsoever except for sometimes the front wheels slide sideways a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
3 hours ago, Sparky said:

I prefer weights. My humble 2 cents. 

• Like 1

cleat
Posted (edited)

I guess either would work but all I have is one set of plastic ones that did not seem very heavy and stuck out past the tire (I have 3 Wheel Horses with loaded tires).

It was fairly cheap for me to load the tires with plumbing antifreeze and they gained a lot of weight.

The loaded tires with 2 link chains have worked for this tractor and another 520H that I mount the 2 stage blower on occasionally and I have never been stuck yet in over 10 years.

Edited by cleat
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Cleat, it's a great set up. I was just thinking back when I "had" my wheel horse machines. Heck since living by the beach on this tiny lot I like to follow along, particular in winter. And remember how much fun I used to have doing the same stuff all of you are enjoying now. With the weights I could just take them off for the mowing season on my property. Thanks for the memories.

• Like 4

cleat

I have 7 wheel Horses so the HC is a dedicated plow rig and the chains stay on.

However, I much prefer mowing with a machine that has loaded tires without chains as the stability and traction is greatly improved especially on ditches and steep banks.

The added traction actually results on less sod damage as wheel spin is virtually eliminated.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, cleat said:

I much prefer mowing with a machine that has loaded tires without chains as the stability and traction is greatly improved especially on ditches and steep banks.

The added traction actually results on less sod damage as wheel spin is virtually eliminated.

I can certainly see the logic in that. In fact, I've wondered why more people don't have loaded tires year-round. The only place I could see where it would be a detriment is if you have a known very soft spot where you mow.

Handy Don
On 1/8/2024 at 10:55 AM, ebinmaine said:

I can certainly see the logic in that. In fact, I've wondered why more people don't have loaded tires year-round. The only place I could see where it would be a detriment is if you have a known very soft spot where you mow.

In general, minimizing soil compaction leads to healthier lawns so the lighter the machine footprint the better.

That’s why heavily trafficked lawns benefit from manual aeration.

Local terrain and safety conditions always govern, of course!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

In general, minimizing soil compaction leads to healthier lawns so the lighter the machine footprint the better.

That’s why heavily trafficked lawns benefit from manual aeration.

Local terrain and safety conditions always govern, of course!

Forgive what sounds like a silly question here and, Cleat, forgive me for hijacking the thread a little but I'd like your input as well.

You guys know we don't mow our lawn with a tractor but also, we don't even try to grow grass yet. We just mow where it grows and that's that.

Given the fact that less soil compaction is better for root growth, why do people use lawn rollers?

Is there a point of soil density someone may be shooting for? Or is a lawn roller for specific grasses or soils? Or is it more like just for crushing down animal tunnels?

I asked partially for the sake of pure curiosity and partially because we may attempt to turn the front area of our house to a front lawn next year or the year after.

sjoemie himself

From what I understand rolling after sowing the grass is to lightly press the seed into the ground.

Rolling the lawn when it's green however.. dunno :confusion-scratchheadblue:

• Like 1

Handy Don
17 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Given the fact that less soil compaction is better for root growth, why do people use lawn rollers?

Is there a point of soil density someone may be shooting for? Or is a lawn roller for specific grasses or soils? Or is it more like just for crushing down animal tunnels?

Lawn rolling aims to even out frost heaves or similar “bumps” in the lawn, including rodent burrows. Makes mowing easier and, on closely mowed lawns, prevents scalping. It's often a cosmetic and maintenance process and less of a health thing. Rolled lawns often need aeration afterwards. 

Yep, you can see where lawn care can consume a lot of resources!

Consider growing a meadow of indigenous (shade-loving, in your situation) wildflowers--mow only once or twice a year as well as attracting pollinators for that garden!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Lawn rolling aims to even out frost heaves

This is exactly why I roll mine every spring after the ground thaws.      Well there's that and after suffering from cabin fever for months with no snow to plow and no grass ready to mow, it's a good excuse to get some seat time.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Aeration is important...I have a plugger that I used in Virginia...no rocks...up here it just bounced along (lay and rocks)  I gave up  I live in the boondocks if it is sort of green i am happy (weeds are green!)

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Consider growing a meadow of indigenous (shade-loving, in your situation) wildflowers--mow only once or twice a year as well as attracting pollinators for that garden!

That's exactly what Trina did around the Frog pond and much of the clearing around the garden. 

• Like 1

Tonytoro416

I run loaded or weighted tires year around.  Great for steep side ditches 

• Like 1

Tonytoro416

My dad has rolled every spring since I can remember and obviously now I do also.  
for us it’s nice for flattening along the road where snowplows may get off track a little thought out the winter.  Same thing in the fall the farmers pulling in and out of the fields through side ditches we keep mowed.  Same concept if we miss driveway a little when snow covered. Things along line

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

for many years i would roll my lawn in spring to flatten the frost bumps -- then i read many "experts" saying compaction was unhealthy for grass -- my frost bumps arent that significant - - so now i routinely aerate because the "experts" say its really the best way for nutrients to get to roots - to breath - moisture plus fertilizer etc -- and considering none of us "walk" to mow but drive 600 + lb  tractors plus body weight, and maybe wheel weights, i am guessing we are doing lots of tractor compaction -- so i sold my roller, and now i aerate usually in spring and fall -- put sometimes just once per year - lawn looks good

wh 257h rear.jpg

• Like 3

Brockport Bill

as a footnote to my above comment -- yes, I would absolutely use roller for seeding new lawn to compact new seed in soil -- as a matter of fact, when i installed my lawn 40 yrs ago --- what i found by rolling it after grading that i could actually see better the uneven low and high spots - then I would rake out the high spots into the low spots to even the surface then re-roll -- As a result i have very level ground surface lawn

• Like 4

cleat

Snow was too wet and heavy for the little Wheel Horse to handle so out came the bigger tractor and 72" blower.

No trouble for that tractor.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1