Ed Kennell

Gen Set Air Comp Combo

squonk
On 1/5/2024 at 4:48 PM, Ed Kennell said:

OK, we know we have a 110vac and a 12vdc supply, so today I brough her into the heated shop to work on the compressor.    Removed the carb, fuel pump, head, and some tins.

Everything looks good  under the head.   For my first trial, I think I'll leave the valves alone close the spark plug hole and add a check valve to the exhaust pipe.

I'm thinking I'll have a 1 stroke active pump and one stroke inactive.

stroke                         intake valve                         exhaust valve                     air movement

intake                           open                                     closed                                into the cylinder

compression                 closed                                   closed                                zero  only compressed

power                            closed                                   closed                                zero  only expanding

exhaust                         closed                                    open                                  thru the exhaust pipe, check valve to tank.

104_2759.JPG.f76063d8307221f98820d3b39c260f81.JPG

Jim, I did pull the end cover off and I only see two coils (poles) so I guess I need 3600 revs to get my 60 Hz.   May have to go to a smaller pulley on the gen.

I see three narrow brush rings and one wider one closer to the armature.     Ac and Dc ?

104_2765.JPG.33f3232335dec7b3caef33a4096b9496.JPG104_2764.JPG.f72650df7fda7e8afaa406b5f4bcb052.JPG

Comments????

Air cooled engine. No gear reduction connection = 3600 RPM to me. 

• Like 3

Rick3478
On 1/5/2024 at 4:48 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Everything looks good  under the head.   For my first trial, I think I'll leave the valves alone close the spark plug hole and add a check valve to the exhaust pipe.  I'm thinking I'll have a 1 stroke active pump and one stroke inactive.

104_2759.JPG.f76063d8307221f98820d3b39c260f81.JPG

Jim, I did pull the end cover off and I only see two coils (poles) so I guess I need 3600 revs to get my 60 Hz.   May have to go to a smaller pulley on the gen.  I see three narrow brush rings and one wider one closer to the armature.     Ac and Dc ?

Comments????

Some of the gensets were 1800 RPM four pole for lower noise, but those were usually opposed twin engines.  In your case probably 3600 RPM.

As for the valves, yeah the intermediate piston cycle will act like an air spring, so not much net power loss.  Might add some distortion and frequency modulation to your AC.  Most simple appliances don't care, but some fancy electronics and EV chargers may refuse to work.  And bear in mind that the valve guides were not designed for high pressure, so you may have significant leakage into the crankcase.  Which is why I suggested the spark hole with a check valve for output, but no harm to try it and see what happens.

Edited by Rick3478
Added more electrical information.
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

I wanted to do my winter warm up of a mower that has been in storage.     So while it was out and running, I hooked up the gen set for it's trial run.

Everything worked,  120vac lit a bulb and ran a grinder,   around 13.5vdc looks good, and 30 psi from the compressor.  I have a 30 psi relief valve in the loop .

I can remotely run a grinder, charge a battery, and pump up a tire.    I'm calling this project a success. 

104_2891.JPG.2d8741e6a80aea999f6b156c4163fc25.JPG

• Excellent 7

Handy Don
11 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I'm calling this project a success. 

For sure. Quite the utility trailer for doing stuff far from the shop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

I luv it. Nice work Ed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rick3478
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Good work!  I like the combination towbar tach-a-matic.