peter lena

bearing separator hub puller

peter lena

https://www.grainger.com/product/23M596?gucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA-bmsBhAGEiwAoaQNmituGJatrMr9yqEQZmfbdCRJDP5wr2GTCpPGUzmaMEdUKhHRWR4IkxoC6tMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds   all to often , see the wrong type puller used on the weakest spot of , hub , that would be the outer bolt flange , the closer you get to axel mount / hub start point . the more effect your pull will be , KROIL is what you want , on / in that area , days out , remove any holding bolt / Allen plug ,DRIVE  it around , get that KROIL  CREEPING  , thats what it does best , usually a rust run out track , will show its working . a pull on the axel / flange inner start point is what you want , strength against strength , not against outer bolt flange . get that KROIL , working , shop around for similar , puller at H/F  . just a suggestion , puller pete

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 3

ri702bill

You mean like this??

Front View Assy.JPG

• Like 7

Achto
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

all to often , see the wrong type puller used on the weakest spot of , hub , that would be the outer bolt flange

So far I've been lucky using the bolt flange. In the pic below you can see the extreme amount of pressure that I was exerting on this hub. One bar to keep the puller from turning as I tightened the jack bolt with a 36" long breaker bar. Tons of pressure, rap on the smaller portion of the hub to create vibration, hub moved about .010", more pressure, more hammering, etc. This hub fought me every inch of the way like this, but I finally won without damaging anything.:thumbs2: Yes there was plenty of lube involved as well. :D

IMG_20230101_081530460.jpg.a1a7162b05d0da6dd0aaec6beecafeec.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

peter lena

@ri702bill  thats what you want !  that solid movable strength , pulling on a solid hold , has moved more frozen failures than , anything else tried , also used  variations of the initial pull , also lubricate all related threading , that  sheer strength  on dry threads , will damage , threading , thin / sharpen them . as suggested , KROIL  is a killer for rusted anything , do it days out , as well ; as during  pull.  make a point of  just , a drop of Kroil , on any  possible problem point . that solid release , with  the right combination , is like magic, thats what you want, Pete

• Like 1

pfrederi
59 minutes ago, Achto said:

So far I've been lucky using the bolt flange. In the pic below you can see the extreme amount of pressure that I was exerting on this hub. One bar to keep the puller from turning as I tightened the jack bolt with a 36" long breaker bar. Tons of pressure, rap on the smaller portion of the hub to create vibration, hub moved about .010", more pressure, more hammering, etc. This hub fought me every inch of the way like this, but I finally won without damaging anything.:thumbs2: Yes there was plenty of lube involved as well. :D

IMG_20230101_081530460.jpg.a1a7162b05d0da6dd0aaec6beecafeec.jpg

Until a couple weeks ago I had great success with a set up like yours...But that is a newer hub much thicker flange I just broke one of the older thinner flange hubs.:P

For D series and GT14 hubs pulling from the back is the only way to go

IMG_0885.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

ri702bill

Yeah Paul, those star style hubs are all too easy to break - no choice then but to get tough with it - slit it and crack the hub remains off. Too bad the seal was not leaking more for longer - usually makes removal easy...

IMG_0885.JPG

• Like 4

squonk

Those hubs can only take so much. If they break using the method Dan used (Which is pretty much the same as mine) they weren't coming off anyway.

I have seen video's of where Taryl heats an object cherry red then quenches it and the items come apart rather easily. Might be worth a try on something like Paul's transmission that should be taken apart anyway. 

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
7 hours ago, ri702bill said:

You mean like this??

Front View Assy.JPG

Nice job extending the range of your splitter.              :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

EB-80/8inPA
9 hours ago, Achto said:

In the pic below you can see the extreme amount of pressure that I was exerting on this hub

Do you use a torque wrench to make sure the load is evenly distributed around the hub when setting that up?  TIA.

• Like 1

Achto
9 hours ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Do you use a torque wrench to make sure the load is evenly distributed around the hub when setting that up?

I just spin all the bolts in by hand until they run out of threads.

• Thanks 1

gt14rider

This pulls from back. Made from scrap laying around. 

Screenshot_20231230-103334_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

gt14rider

Here's another version. 

20220926_190947.jpg

20220926_101601.jpg

• Like 1