Pullstart

‘57 Pontiac Star Chief

ANTPER

I owned a 57 Belair 2 Dr. post in the 80s and the 55 56 57 were my favorite cars to date. Please keep us updated on the project. Love it!

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Pullstart  have another idea on this project of yours. haul @Tractorhead back to your place from the BS. He can have the project 75 percent complete before he needs to catch his plane home.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

953 nut

KEVIN!    You could have used a Wheel Horse to pull the Pontiac into the garage and helped spread the word about how good they are. But, on the bright side you did manage to get it into the garage without running over yourself or even sustaining an injury so you are improving.        :ychain:  

Also;            :twocents-02cents:          finish the bathroom.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

8ntruck

Does the hood latch on that Pontiac hang down and make a head whacked like the hood latch on a 57 Chevy?

If you are going to keep stock trim, you might want to start shopping for the missing side trim now.  I don't think it is a common item in the old parts market. Might take a while to find.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Does the hood latch on that Pontiac hang down and make a head whacked like the hood latch on a 57 Chevy?

If you are going to keep stock trim, you might want to start shopping for the missing side trim now.  I don't think it is a common item in the old parts market. Might take a while to find.

The hood will catch a head, no problem!  As for trim, it needs more clips but all the trim is in the trunk :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead
16 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@Pullstart  have another idea on this project of yours. haul @Tractorhead back to your place from the BS. He can have the project 75 percent complete before he needs to catch his plane home.

Hum, sounds like a Plan....😎

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Beap52

Every time in the video you opened and closed the driver's door I smiled.  The squeak and hollow door slam-it just had to be!  Great project.  I'm old enough now not to take something like that on,  Besides I'm to the point if I buy something, I have to sell something.  I've got all the projects I care to keep running. 

OH! By the way,  You can work on the bathroom and spend the winter shopping for parts for your new project.  Chasing down parts is technically not "working!"   If that works out, let me know!

Edited by Beap52
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

8ntruck
1 hour ago, Beap52 said:

Chasing down parts is technically not "working!"   

Yet I've claimed that chasing down a crown molding cutter that is close enough to the existing molding in our 100 year old house that will fit my machinery  is working on the project.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Handy Don
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Yet I've claimed that chasing down a crown molding cutter that is close enough to the existing molding in our 100 year old house that will fit my machinery  is working on the project.

I’m fairly sure you could still find a shop that would make you a cutter using the profile of your existing moulding. @formariz might have a suggestion!

• Like 2

Tractorhead

A new Bathroom huh ?

completely new build or just fix it up?

to work allone is sometimes not on each job or task real fun... keep going...

A rebuild is just simply a task.

Me to - i also like the squeek on the Doors,

that indicates first to me it is not a electronic fidget Car it must be Original.

It must be a honest Drive.

A voice told me -  the previous Car Manufacturer implements little holes and squeeks into their Cars.

hidden Rust be a indicator that it‘s real Metal no Chemical gluey stuff.

That all be indicators things can be heared feeled and touched - as far as they still be here... 😎

Newerday‘s the following generation of Car manufacturer forgotten how to do that.

they just exchange „charme“ with some glue electronis gadgets and plastic.

A restoration like on such pretty Cool old Irons is compared of the newday‘s cars is not wanted further.

And they also lost each part of Charme like the Old iron have.

Not very sustainable.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
5 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

A new Bathroom huh ?

completely new build or just fix it up?

to work allone is sometimes not on each job or task real fun... keep going...

A rebuild is just simply a task.

:lol: it’s quite funny actually.  It was a total gut and rebuild job.  The bathroom is fully functional and amazing, but I need to finish the trim around the baseboards and door, and hang a new door (that I have already built).  It should be a day or two to finish :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tractorhead
5 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

:lol: it’s quite funny actually.  It was a total gut and rebuild job.  The bathroom is fully functional and amazing, but I need to finish the trim around the baseboards and door, and hang a new door (that I have already built).  It should be a day or two to finish :P

Ah not so hard - or in other words... 

If eric would make it 201 posts in the Forum ... :lol: :teasing-signhere:   

:teasing-neener:

• Haha 4
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
27 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Ah not so hard - or in other words... 

If eric would make it 201 posts in the Forum ... :lol: :teasing-signhere:   

:teasing-neener:

You give me too much credit.  

• Haha 5

formariz
23 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I’m fairly sure you could still find a shop that would make you a cutter using the profile of your existing moulding. @formariz might have a suggestion!

As expected my suggestion will lean towards a hand tool:D.  In 1988 I needed to duplicate a small crown not readily available then.  All I needed was about six feet of it. A chunk of scrap red oak and this is what I came up with. It has by now probably made a dozen miles worth of it. No noise, no mess, no danger to fingers and a pleasure to use. Different fences on it allow for another couple of different moldings. 

IMG_4759.jpeg.4134ec6a6596432c2a23485e48afb0a1.jpeg

IMG_4758.jpeg.b23fb28b3f91251943731de2d7fd4f4f.jpeg

IMG_4760.jpeg.d7d6e51a56650482e758dc7d9b49fd48.jpeg

IMG_4761.jpeg.b2c9f5e2151f31e7e1da752fbb2b0f6a.jpeg

• Excellent 4
  • Heart 3

Tractorhead

I admire your craftmanship Cas.

Wood is not my kind of Material i preferr, but i admire the results you made with these simple Tools.

it must be a lot of patience to do that. 

I am too impatient for that.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
38 minutes ago, formariz said:

As expected....

Kinda sorta :D

I can see grinding, filing, honing a plane blade to the proper shape until the profile matches the sample molding. Experience and materials to hand are pretty important here, of course. Maybe @8ntruck could do this! :rolleyes:

How, though, does one make the base of the plane body conform to the blade?

formariz
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Kinda sorta :D

I can see grinding, filing, honing a plane blade to the proper shape until the profile matches the sample molding. Experience and materials to hand are pretty important here, of course. Maybe @8ntruck could do this! :rolleyes:

This may be another good thread if there is interest in it and as to not hijack (any more)the original subject in this one. 

1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Actually the opposite is done. The blade is shaped to conform to the plane body. Sole of plane is first shaped to conform to desired shape of molding using a variety of possible methods such as using other planes, scrapers or even multiple passes using a table saw with a fence set at steep angles to blade such as when making a cove in it.  Blade is then shaped to follow that shape. 

Edited by formariz
  • Thanks 1

formariz
1 hour ago, Tractorhead said:

I admire your craftmanship Cas.

Wood is not my kind of Material i preferr, but i admire the results you made with these simple Tools.

it must be a lot of patience to do that. 

I am too impatient for that.

Thank you for the kind words. Patience is definitely a must but  not always automatic . Mood and life many times dictate the amount of patience available therefore certain projects either get pushed back a little or they are spontaneously tackled. 
 To me things such as this always have a therapeutic effect whether in times of stress or even grief. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1