peter lena

flat blade fuses

peter lena

had a number of  blade fuses , fail, not a  shorting blow out , but just the slightest , deformation  of the link itself , many hours of dependable  function , then just quit . think its a quality  issue more than anything , everything from china , entire set up check over , all good , then same fuse , thinning , at light hold up . have it on fuel pump / lights , just a reference for , a related electrical , glitch  , 10 amp , Pete 

ri702bill
37 minutes ago, peter lena said:

had a number of  blade fuses , fail, not a  shorting blow out , but just the slightest , deformation  of the link itself , many hours of dependable  function , then just quit . think its a quality  issue more than anything , everything from china , entire set up check over , all good , then same fuse , thinning , at light hold up . have it on fuel pump / lights , just a reference for , a related electrical , glitch  , 10 amp , Pete 

The "quality" (or lack thereof) from aftermarket suppliers, not just fuses, can prove to be questionable at best. It's all about the almighty buck. Vibration, repeated heating and cooling (thermal cycling) are the enemies of electrical devices.

Feel comfortable going up to a 15 amp fuse?? What total amperage load does that 10A fuse see?? What type of device is the fuse protecting?? Is there an "inrush" current spike every time?? All fun, annoying stuff..... Is there a time delay "Slow-blow" 10A flat blade version available?? :text-bump:

Edited by ri702bill
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@ri702bill might try that slow blow fuse , also might separate the . loading , have an identical set up in , another horse , ,no issues , was just out on the road . will experiment with a 15 amp fuse ,  agree with the , CYCLING , theory ,  other thing  is that it never blows /  apart . just  a thinning of the connector , is enough for same issue ,  thanks for the reply , will try related hook ups , thanks , Pete 

lynnmor

There was a test done on the cheap fuses that showed that they were WAY out of tolerance and wouldn’t blow in time to save the circuit.  While I hate to spend the money for the overpriced name brands, I see no other choice.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Jon Paulsen

Yep. Nothing worse than junk parts. Especially with safety components like fuses. 

• Like 2

lynnmor
18 hours ago, lynnmor said:

There was a test done on the cheap fuses that showed that they were WAY out of tolerance and wouldn’t blow in time to save the circuit.  While I hate to spend the money for the overpriced name brands, I see no other choice.

I see that @Jon Paulsen is confused with my comment on fuses.  This video is what I was referring to and should help with understanding the issue.

Jon Paulsen

I was not confused. I just misused an emoticon. 

• Like 1