RED-Z06

D180 popped up locally

RED-Z06

D series here are rare.  Doesnt run, 48" deck, been sitting at least a year, as far as i know there's no rear lift.  Its the 18hp K482 engine.

He's asking $450.

My experience with Ds are the hydros had a few problems, every D ive seen had a hydro/gearbox problem.

What do yall think?

Screenshot_20231223_154227_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231223_154230_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231223_154233_Facebook.jpg

leabassett@sbcglobal.net

Ofer $390 and see what happens.

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: Worst they will do is laugh at you and say no.

Looks like that one has the optional 15" wheels on the back.

RED-Z06
3 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

:text-yeahthat: Worst they will do is laugh at you and say no.

Looks like that one has the optional 15" wheels on the back.

Were the 15s more desirable?  The tires look smaller than most Ds ive seen.

Moonshine*Connoisseur

I would pass on it, more trouble than it's worth. Besides a couple neat options the "d" series line offers, I'd rather go with a 520-H, a very capable unit. 

• Like 1

RED-Z06
9 minutes ago, Moonshine*Connoisseur said:

I would pass on it, more trouble than it's worth. Besides a couple neat options the "d" series line offers, I'd rather go with a 520-H, a very capable unit. 

Ive got a 416-H, the 520 added gauges, 4hp, and optional gear reduction steering...not a big leap upwards in capability.  I wish the D had power steering 

• Like 1

Moonshine*Connoisseur

I believe the 520 LXI has power steering but someone who is familiar with this model will need to confirm. 

RED-Z06
16 minutes ago, Moonshine*Connoisseur said:

I believe the 520 LXI has power steering but someone who is familiar with this model will need to confirm. 

Correct, 520lxi was more in line with the Ingersoll 4000 line of the time, not quite up to the deere 4X5 line, but it was a very slick model line (the Xi series).  Ive never seen one in person

8ntruck
2 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Were the 15s more desirable?  The tires look smaller than most Ds ive seen.

Depends on what you are wanting to do with the tractor.  The 15" wheels allow the use of a different family of tires - tread patterns, sidewall construction, tread compounds, belt materials, load ratings, etc.

RED-Z06
5 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Depends on what you are wanting to do with the tractor.  The 15" wheels allow the use of a different family of tires - tread patterns, sidewall construction, tread compounds, belt materials, load ratings, etc.

Probably just fix it up, I need another tractor like i need a freakin hole in my head...but D series dont pop up often south of the Mason Dixon...poaching a draught horse here would be a huge score.

8ntruck
7 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Probably just fix it up, I need another tractor like i need a freakin hole in my head...but D series dont pop up often south of the Mason Dixon...poaching a draught horse here would be a huge score.

In that case, if the tires are in reasonable shape, use them.

I've got a C-195 with 15" wheels and what appear to be original tires.  I use that tractor for some mowing and light towing, so thosectires are fine.  However, they are aged and will need replacement sometime.  The number of available tires that will fit is staggering.   

RED-Z06
8 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

In that case, if the tires are in reasonable shape, use them.

I've got a C-195 with 15" wheels and what appear to be original tires.  I use that tractor for some mowing and light towing, so thosectires are fine.  However, they are aged and will need replacement sometime.  The number of available tires that will fit is staggering.   

Were all the D series attachments pretty unique?  The deck im sure it rotten, like most decks down here usually are.

Thor27

Just the hubs, seat pan, and gas tank will cover the cost of the tractor in a worst case scenario.   I'd like to have a D, rarely see them out west too.

• Thanks 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Looks rough, but given the rarity of D series in your area (as they are here as well) I’d say make the guy an offer and see what happens. 

RED-Z06
23 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

Looks rough, but given the rarity of D series in your area (as they are here as well) I’d say make the guy an offer and see what happens. 

Waiting to hear back from the seller, its still listed but apparently he isnt responding to messages..

• Sad 1

RED-Z06

Guy finally messaged me back, its about a 2hr round trip, going to try and go look tomorrow...i dont think he knows much about it...im prepared to walk away, but i do intend to hit him low.

• Excellent 1

Lagersolut

Rare or not I'd never go 450 on a non runner of anything - I like to have a general idea how far I'm going to be into something on repairs - Thats just me - I'm starting to see a lot of rough non running stuff listed high .

RED-Z06
1 minute ago, Lagersolut said:

Rare or not I'd never go 450 on a non runner of anything - I like to have a general idea how far I'm going to be into something on repairs - Thats just me - I'm starting to see a lot of rough non running stuff listed high .

I tend to agree, im going to wait a couple days, see if he moves on the asking price any...he seemed pretty solid on 450 and I was planning to offer 300...its rough, doesn't run, deck is rough,  no 3pt hitch...theres not anything there that justifies 450

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, RED-Z06 said:

there's not anything there that justifies 450

Someone told him that Wheel Horses are worth a lot of money. I’d suspect a flipper.

• Like 1

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Someone told him that Wheel Horses are worth a lot of money. I’d suspect a flipper.

Its at a tire store, on google maps its been there a while.  Ironically the only other D I've ever seen was a D250...also at a tire store.

• Like 1

RED-Z06
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Prices have been all over lately though...saw a B series, like a B100 or something....non runner, no deck, no seat, rotten tires..for 950 because "these old tractors command money".  Then youll see a 314-8 get listed for 250 and its gone instantly 

• Like 1