RED-Z06

Whats needed to put an s/g on a K181S

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Only thing im not looking forward to is the lower mount, im sure its still installed but i doubt it has the hardware..ive got nuts n bolts if its nothing special.

Might be a long bolt in there. I've seen them held with threaded rod. 

Bolt Depot in Hingham Mass may have a replacement if you need it.  

RED-Z06

Got it all put on mostly.  My lower cast s/g mount was too narrow so i made a spacer, ive got a new thru bolt ordered for that.  But its mounted and turns the engine over.  With any luck it will run tomorrow.

WHX??

If your lower mount was too short then you should have the short SG that was used on 701s and a few other models. Found on vintage Briggs too that short one. 

Kinda hen's teeth on those.

Not that the longer SG that was used on 181and up used the longer SG will  work just get that spacer right. If the through rod bolt doesn't work just use all thread. We wouldn't tell anyone.  😏 

Edited by WHX??

RED-Z06
3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

If your lower mount was too short then you should have the short SG that was used on 701s and a few other models. Found on vintage Briggs too that short one. 

Kinda hen's teeth on those.

Not that the longer SG that was used on 181and up used the longer SG will  work just get that spacer right. If the through rod bolt doesn't work just use all thread. We wouldn't tell anyone.  😏 

I took an old roughly 9/16 3/8 drive socket and cut it down until it just tapped down in the gap.  Had to make sure it was snug because if there was any slack the bolt would potentially snap the ear off.  Thankfully the pulley alignment is unaffected. I measured 7.5" roughly so i ordered a grade 8, 5/16-18 8" long hex bolt with washers and nyloc nut as well as 1/4-20 x 3/8" bolts for the belt guard 

• Excellent 2

WHX??

Sounds like a good plan. 

• Like 1

RED-Z06

It starts, runs...not charging.  My multimeter decided that 2024 will not be its year, so i cant test for a couple days unfortunately...but it ate a 275cca battery in 35 minutes and a dozen starts.  Wiring is right, regulator may be bad.  A-Z said the generator put out power on the bench so that should be fine.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, RED-Z06 said:

It starts, runs...not charging.  My multimeter decided that 2024 will not be its year, so i cant test for a couple days unfortunately...but it ate a 275cca battery in 35 minutes and a dozen starts.  Wiring is right, regulator may be bad.  A-Z said the generator put out power on the bench so that should be fine.

I've never had Lincoln lead me wrong but you can bench test that generator.

Wouldn't hurt to pop that regulator open and clean the contacts.

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I've never had Lincoln lead me wrong but you can bench test that generator.

Wouldn't hurt to pop that regulator open and clean the contacts.

Cleaned the contacts, both contacts function.  When i crank it, one set opens, one closes, that set arcs until i release the key...it opens and the other set closes. Verified not charging, 12.4 sitting, 12.1 running.

Edited by RED-Z06

RED-Z06

Some closure to the question.

Not bad to have sat since 05, new fuel line, sediment bowl, points,  condenser, coil, plug, proper s/g mounts, s/g, belt, new wiring on the ignition and regulator.  Never touched the carb.

• Like 1