c-series don

418-C or 418-8?

c-series don

Hello gents, I am looking for your opinions on this. I am wondering if I should switch my plow to the 418-C for the snow? Since I purchased the 8-Speed I really haven’t used it much other than to roll the lawn, so that’s kinda why I want to use it to plow. It has electric lift so I wouldn’t be lifting the plow manually. I’ve never plowed with an 8-Speed tractor, a 13 Speed truck yes but not an 8-Speed tractor 😂. I know the C is one of the fastest Wheel Horses ever built and that can be an advantage when plowing snow. What do you think? 

IMG_8139.jpeg

IMG_8137.jpeg

IMG_8140.jpeg

• Like 5

ebinmaine

From the Gear Driven Pair of EB & BBT  in the Maine forest:

Use the 8 speed.  

There are advantages to using a Hydro tractor with Hydro lift, yes. 

But the manual transmission is more fun to drive and more predictable in speed. 

I have a Hydro tractor for snow removal because of need. 

My plow is almost twice the weight of Trina's stock 42". 

I do enjoy the ease. 

Other than snow removal I don't even use the machine.  

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

I've only plowed with 8 speeds - C-105 and E-141. Both work great on Michigan snow, slop, slush etc...

I put a winch on one and it works very well:

I typically run in second or third gear high range.

:twocents-twocents:

IMG_2382.jpeg

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 3

953 nut

I have never had an electric lift unit. from what I've read on here the lift is a bit slow so it would depend on how frequently you have to lift the blade.

I have plowed snow with a 1055 (manual lift) and a 953 (hydro lift) gearjammer and with my 418-C and have become a fan of the hydro for snow removal. Every situation is going to be a bit different but in my case there are several places where there is a lot of short distance back and forth movement. At the house we back out of the garage into a turnaround ( 20 feet deep by 50 feet wide) and then drive forward down the driveway. With a four foot blade that makes for a bunch of gear changes. In front of my woodworking shop there is another area that is about  30 feet by 30 feet.

• Like 4

pfrederi

Only have housed hydros for 10 or more year plowing snow.   Hydro lift is fast and easy.  Faster direction changes and I have to do a lot of backing up to clear some ares and hydros are way faster in reverse that 8 spds.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I'm with Paul and Richard on this one Don.      If I had to use a gear drive and manual or slow electric lift instead of my quick hydro lift and foot pedal motion control. I'm afraid the snow would be melted before I got the 5 driveways cleared.       If we ever get any snow, I'll have to make a video of just how smooth and fast the hydro can be.

• Like 4

8ntruck

This boils down to what it works best for you.  Try the plow on both your tractors and see which one you like best.  Add weights and to chains to the tractor that works best for you.

I have an 8 speed tractor and an automatic tractor.  I've noticed that with all of the trees I have on the property, it is faster to mow with the automatic.  Towing the lawn sweeper during fall leaf clean up is quicker with the automatic as well.

We don't winter in Michigan, so I can't really comment about 8 speed vs automatic when plowing.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

23 Reo

The hydros with hydraulic lift are probably easier to plow with. That's why I would use the 8 speed. I just prefer them over hydros. If you find that it is a pain in the neck to plow with the 8 speed you can switch back to the hydro. Whatever makes you happy.

• Like 3

Lost Pup

I used my 417-8 to plow for a season and found it was a bit to busy clearing our driveway and parking area. The 418A automatic is much less effort. I have to use reverse quite a bit and the 417-8 gets it done but the 418A handles all of the stops, starts and maneuvering with less effort on my part. The long straight sections are fine but all of the careful slow work required around the garage, parked cars and the landscaping is much easier with the auto. 

• Like 1

cleat

If you can get a foot control on the auto it is even better.

My plow tractor is a 520HC with foot control and it is awesome and quick.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
1 minute ago, cleat said:

get a foot control on the auto

Absolutely must have for a snow machine.      All my hydros have foot control.

• Like 2

cleat

My snow team for this winter.

520HC with foot control and plow.

Dongfeng 304G with 60" loader and 72" 2 stage blower with hydraulic chute rotation and deflection.

Tractor has no chains but it has fluid filled industrial tires and 4 wheel drive and has great traction.

Dongfeng is manual but it has a shuttle shift.

Walk behind blower is a little briggs and stratton 1024 I picked up this past summer and have not used yet.

My plan is to use it to clear walkways and interlocking stone areas.

629315471_Snowteam20182.JPG.818cbc4da390d29c6c0d114d53551a25.JPG

DSCN5912.JPG.df649cd8c69e75ee83a2402e85bb1726.JPG

Edited by cleat
  • Like 3

midpack

I have a couple electric lift 8 speeds. One has a blower mounted all the time. love them!

I also have a hydro that I had a blower on. The lift time wasn't that much faster IMO, and if you don't have foot control on a hydro forget it

• Like 1

Handy Don
7 hours ago, cleat said:

Walk behind blower is a little briggs and stratton 1024

I’ve picked up two of these abandoned at the curb. Ebay carb, fuel line, filter, lube, plug and done. They do a good job. Gave them both away though one recipient insisted on at least paying for the parts--Ok. Both still in regular use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1