Brad Schroder

Mower deck for 1967 1057

daveoman1966

As for the 36" deck...side or rear disch.  I'd urge you to NOT acquire an old one (pre 72) that has the 'Double-D' spindle/pulley configuration....spindle looks like the SECOND pic here...with the RED 'DD' pulley.  This style of spindle is NOT greaseable....no GREASE ZERK on top of the shaft.  Try to find one that uses a spindle/pulley WITH the top grease zerk....looks like the FIRST pic here. There is a more recent variation on this FIRST pic...this 2nd style does NOT use the woodruff key....the spindle shaft is only 5/8 dia...but I don't have a pic of it.  NOTE THE 4-hole bolt-mounting pattern is the same on all 3 of these styles.  

image.png.9af19e4adad7c03650c6125de36bc474.png        

image.png

Edited by daveoman1966

Brad Schroder

That's a great detail to know, that little feature allows serviceability and long life. Did the picture I sent look like the correct deck at least? I'll get the details on the spindle zerk. Could greaseable spindles replace the older ones? Or drill, tap, and add a zerk?

Edited by Brad Schroder

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Brad Schroder said:

Did the picture I sent look like the correct deck at least? I'll get the details on the spindle zerk. Could greaseable spindles replace the older ones?

Yes, that is a 36” RD 3-blade deck.

Yes, getting clear close-up images of the tops of the spindles will help.

Yes, greasables can easily replace non-greaseable, but the replacements must include replacement pulleys, since the spindle shafts are different.

When checking out a used deck, things to look at include:

- greaseable spindles

- freely spinning spindles without wobble or grinding (removing the belt that connects the three spindles, if at all possible, make this a LOT easier)

- straight, clean pulleys (looking for trueness when they turn and no rust in the sheave)

- integrity of the shell, especially looking for heavily rusted areas or penetrations (especially in places hidden by grass clumps), or big dents, or cracks at the frame mounts

- integrity of the frame and gauge wheels (uneven wear, bends)

It's hard to find a defect free deck, and you may be willing to cure some defects--just know what you are getting!

Edited by Handy Don

Brad Schroder

All your advise is much appreciated! My biggest problem is, my area (iowa) doesn't have much to choose from, and working off pictures and opinions of sellers is about all I have. Most available decks are hours from my home. I've looked at one online in Indiana, Ohio, and Minnesota. I'd love to be able to look at these in person but not really an option. I've got to weigh the positives and negatives and possible repairs versus the price of course. I love a deal and am not afraid to tear into it, but at the same time don't want to buy trash. I do love fixing things though! You've been a great help, hope I haven't been too annoying. I love the research and online searching, but have only been a tractor owner for about a month. You guys and gals are a great group! I'm home nursing a hernia operation, I'm not usually this annoying!

Edited by Brad Schroder

Handy Don

Iowa might be lean, but it is still civilization, isn’t it? :hide:

Please consider posting a “want” (and checking the “for sale” too) as I noted in an earlier post. There may well be a member offering or source in there. Also, since mowin’ season is pretty done (right?) you have some time. Let your relatives, friends, and acquaintances know you are getting into Wheel Horse garden tractors. I got one tractor from someone about to scrap it because he couldn’t get it running. He put an ad in CL calling it a “Horse mower” and it was an accident that I saw it.

Earnest questions that lead to learning are ALWAYS welcome here. NONE of us was born knowing anything about these things. I’ve probably learned 75% of what I know from the documents and member posts and some direct interactions at meets, etc. and 15% from getting my hands dirty getting into it. The other 10% I learned from making &%!@$# mistakes--some requiring bandages and rework!

daveoman1966
8 hours ago, Brad Schroder said:

That's a great detail to know, that little feature allows serviceability and long life. Did the picture I sent look like the correct deck at least? I'll get the details on the spindle zerk. Could greaseable spindles replace the older ones? Or drill, tap, and add a zerk?

That does look like the right style deck.  The older ones with "Double-D" configuration (for 36" deck) can't be greased...and you can't drill/tap a zerk for them either.  The 'Bearing Assembly' # 103119 can only be replaced by driving it out and pressing a new one....for about $70 bux or so.   The new one looks like this:  With the more modern spindles, the top and bottom roller bearings can be individually replaced...not pricey eit her.      

36 MOW (1).JPG

36 DDa.jpg

image.png

• Excellent 2