Dennis C.

1996 314 H hydro

Dennis C.

I don't use my 314H much in cold weather so the machine sits for extended periods of time.  If i have to move it while it's in the storage shed I will start it up and warm up before I engage the cold start lever for the trans pump pulley.  I engage slowly until fully engaged. For several minutes there is a whine coming from the trans until the trans has warmed up. Is this normal or could I be having pump issues later on? Can these pumps be rebuilt? Thanks

Edited by Dennis C.

ebinmaine

You use a similar procedure to me starting and warming my 1975 C160 Automatic. 

It's a cold blooded beast and needs a few minutes to warm up.  

I can't speak for the wear and tear or need for rebuild so I'll be interested to see the other answers. 

I will say that machines have a different "personality" even if identical.  

Dennis C.
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You use a similar procedure to me starting and warming my 1975 C160 Automatic. 

It's a cold blooded beast and needs a few minutes to warm up.  

I can't speak for the wear and tear or need for rebuild so I'll be interested to see the other answers. 

I will say that machines have a different "personality" even if identical.  

Yeah. I don't use this tractor except in the Summer. During the colder months she is stored away int he shed and heated. This tractor is really mint, even the deck. Whatever she needs, she gets.

• Excellent 1

lynnmor

It is normal for the transmission to whine till warmed up, especially if the oil drained down from extended non-use.  Your owners manual says to warm them up from 5 to 10 minutes, depending on temperature,  before setting the tractor in motion.

• Like 2

Dennis C.
7 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

It is normal for the transmission to whine till warmed up, especially if the oil drained down from extended non-use.  Your owners manual says to warm them up from 5 to 10 minutes, depending on temperature,  before setting the tractor in motion.

Thanks. I warm it up  for 10-15 minutes but don't use it. It's strictly a mowing machine. After every mow, I use a leaf blower and clean everything then take off the air filter and clean that, till the next mow. I have a 1960 Panzer for all my "dirty" work.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Dennis C.  https://www.google.com/search?q=magnetic+oil+pan+heater&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&oq=magnetic+oil+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgDEAAYgAQyBggAEE  don't have a hydro ,automatic , but if I did , one of these would make quick work of that issue , could even have it on a timer , pete