HorseFixer

Pressed Sealed Bearing Grease Trick

ri702bill

Good info - let us know how it works after a couple of storms.

I see the pattern of spot or resistance welds on the black pulley. Using a 1/8" bit those can be drilled out and the halves separated to allow access to the bearing for greasing or replacement. I use #5 button head screws and hexnuts for reassembly. Done this to four different 3" idler pulleys that were riveted.

20231208_160722.jpg

• Like 7

c-series don

@HorseFixer Good to hear from you again Duke ! I was wondering were you have been! I wanted to let you know that your snow chucker inspired me to get one of my own. A 417-A that I inherited, I found a two stage blower and then a cab. I absolutely love it! Added some extras like lights, heat and a wiper. 

IMG_6720.jpeg

IMG_6728.jpeg

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

peter lena

@HorseFixer  on those pulleys , when ever needing one , always look around , for same type / size , but larger bearing , with wide pop off grease shields , then easy to insert a bushing to the larger bearing , for exact fit . also like the 550 flash point grease , virtually eliminates related rotational drag . as a base line to my PTO CLUTCH DRAG LEVEL , mule drive belt , moves with very little drag effort ,by hand , the less you have the better off you are ,  lever it in slower , immediate response , no screaming clutch , thats your goal , just my own set up , Pete

WHX??

Good way to help preserve them but what if the bearing is already worn out or seized ?

Bearings are designed to wear out. 

Maybe give this a shot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

peter lena

@ WHX  , replaced a number of  original pulleys , key for me its same size with a larger bearing , and wide removable side shields , typically a same size pulley / type m has the  tiny side shield , poor lubrication quality , cut a , size to size sleeve , from https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=589398076&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&sxsrf=AM9HkKlVwypfVWFwBF6lxvxzlVcr2lAZLg:1702136180102&q=3/8+x+1, typically a 5/8 ID  bearing , press this into it ,  bolt on with a 3/8 bolt . if you paint it red , its hiding in plane site !  very easy fix , done a number of them , repack with Lucas green or marine grease , no noise , or roughness . regular stuff for me , pete

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

peter lena

@ri702bill  was just on line , looking up a similar repair site ,  guy roughed up seal , and also used a generic  olive grease , missed opportunity  ! think people don't see a smaller pulley as a big deal , throw anything at it , if at all . think that heat and lateral loading stress , just eats those bearings . since going overkill , on lube and detailing , no failures or noise . since most w/h pulleys are 3/8 ID , its easy to find  a same size / type  with a larger bearing , when installed it works , like a no effort  function .  bombproof , pete

• Confused 1

HorseFixer
On 12/9/2023 at 8:18 AM, c-series don said:

@HorseFixer Good to hear from you again Duke ! I was wondering were you have been! I wanted to let you know that your snow chucker inspired me to get one of my own. A 417-A that I inherited, I found a two stage blower and then a cab. I absolutely love it! Added some extras like lights, heat and a wiper. 

Hi Don, nice tractor! But What no Motorized Chute? Stereo? Back Up Camera? Digital Oil Pressure Gauge? Defrost Heater? Windshield Washer? Lightbar and Strobes with multi pattern? Molded lead weights all rims and hubcaps?DSCN5740.JPG.e3f02d16a4bf3bd6343540d4441a1376.JPG

DSCN5777.JPG

DSCN5716.JPG

DSCN5989.JPG

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

HorseFixer
11 hours ago, peter lena said:

@HorseFixer  on those pulleys , when ever needing one , always look around , for same type / size , but larger bearing , with wide pop off grease shields , then easy to insert a bushing to the larger bearing , for exact fit . also like the 550 flash point grease , virtually eliminates related rotational drag . as a base line to my PTO CLUTCH DRAG LEVEL , mule drive belt , moves with very little drag effort ,by hand , the less you have the better off you are ,  lever it in slower , immediate response , no screaming clutch , thats your goal , just my own set up , Pete

Hey Pete you keep using that LUCAS Crap and you will buck up your engine! Remember we are talking SNOW CHUCKING Colder than COLD!

• Like 1

c-series don

@HorseFixer Jeez, looks like I’m really slackin! Here I thought I was doing something with switch set up I made! Guess I better step up my game! Funny thing is that I have an F-350 powerstroke diesel with an 8’ Fisher plow that I use for my snowplowing business but when I get home from plowing I use one of my Wheel Horses to take care of my driveway. Here’s a pictures from a few years ago.

IMG_0014.jpeg

IMG_0015.jpeg

IMG_8642.jpeg

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

:popcorn:

peter lena

@HorseFixer, thank you so much for the kind words , actually  have a very good set up , use RISLONE  ZINC ,https://www.amazon.com/Rislone-4405-Supplement-Concentrate-Treatment/dp/B0075559UY/ref=asc_df_B0075559UY/? in all my oils . have not had a bearing fail , or get noisy / rough  since going over to , lucas crap . all my attachments , move with ease from the drive belt start . like a 5-30 Castrol , in cold weather , quick start , oil weight change over is minimal , that zinc is in all my engines , been plowing snow / blowing snow 40 + years . get right after any issue , usually eliminate it , anything I suggest , has a lot of run time on it . have a very happy day , stay oily / greasy , pete 

• Like 2

HorseFixer
On 12/9/2023 at 9:03 PM, c-series don said:

@HorseFixer Jeez, looks like I’m really slackin! Here I thought I was doing something with switch set up I made! Guess I better step up my game! Funny thing is that I have an F-350 powerstroke diesel with an 8’ Fisher plow that I use for my snowplowing business but when I get home from plowing I use one of my Wheel Horses to take care of my driveway. Here’s a pictures from a few years ago.

Don   :teasing-neener:   I Just thought i would have a little fun w you!  :handgestures-thumbupright:  Love that loader and sweeper don't know what the hell is use a loader for except show off so I went overboard on the chucker! you at least gotta get washers for those wipers!

• Haha 1

HorseFixer
On 12/9/2023 at 9:11 PM, Racinbob said:

:popcorn:

Bob get that tarnished DOME outta here!  :icecream:

• Haha 1

HorseFixer
On 12/10/2023 at 8:56 AM, peter lena said:

@HorseFixer, thank you so much for the kind words , actually  have a very good set up , use RISLONE  ZINC ,https://www.amazon.com/Rislone-4405-Supplement-Concentrate-Treatment/dp/B0075559UY/ref=asc_df_B0075559UY/? in all my oils . have not had a bearing fail , or get noisy / rough  since going over to , lucas crap . all my attachments , move with ease from the drive belt start . like a 5-30 Castrol , in cold weather , quick start , oil weight change over is minimal , that zinc is in all my engines , been plowing snow / blowing snow 40 + years . get right after any issue , usually eliminate it , anything I suggest , has a lot of run time on it . have a very happy day , stay oily / greasy , pete 

Pete its all good! :handgestures-thumbupright:  If it works for you, then use it for grease I use AMSOIL racing grease. Has good drop point also!

• Like 1

Racinbob
8 minutes ago, HorseFixer said:

Bob get that tarnished DOME outta here!  :icecream:

Just gilded it again over the summer. Nice and shiny again. 

I hear there's gonna be a pretty good Rose Bowl game this year. :handgestures-thumbupright:

HorseFixer
6 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Just gilded it again over the summer. Nice and shiny again. 

I hear there's gonna be a pretty good Rose Bowl game this year. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Prolly get our butt kicked but thats a chance we gotta take!   :handgestures-thumbupright:

HorseFixer

I have been thinking about the way some have drilled the spotwelds and added bolts to fasten the pulley half's back together once the bearing is replaced. The spot welds just heat the metal in the pulleys together to join them . The spot welds are most likely have no exact spacing  nor do they need to be where the welds are placed, therefor when drilled to be split apart if not done exactly could cause the pulley to be out of balance/ when adding the bolts to join the pulley half's back together are all the bolts and nuts the exact same weight? are they being checked on a gram scale? the pulley is part of the mechanial drive and all parts need to be balanced for optimum operation. 

Lee1977

I have been running bolted together Idlers for years and haven't had a problem.   I don't think there is enough difference between those bolts and nut to make any difference. Those idlers are stamped not machined I would think they are not that well balanced new.

Edited by Lee1977

HorseFixer
3 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I have been running bolted together Idlers for years and haven't had a problem.   I don't think there is enough difference between those bolts and nut to make any difference. Those idlers are stamped not machined I would think they are not that well balanced new.

I asked Chandler who was a Wheel Horse Dealer Right next door to the Wheel Horse Garage in the 40's he showed me pulleys that had holes drilled in them for balancing? I wouldn't think it would matter either but one never knows!   

HorseFixer
On 12/9/2023 at 9:03 PM, c-series don said:

Don that tall chute of yours looks to be in cherry shape!!   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1