KZK

Kohler K241S will only tick over

KZK

Hi again,

I have a new problem.  I have been able to get my Kohler engine K 241S to tick over but the moment I increase the revs it dies and or backfires through the exhaust.  I have replaced the points, condenser and spark plug.  Tick over is erratic. I have also tried taking off the patrol tank cap with no appreciable improvement. Initial settings for the main jet and slow running jet have been 2 full turns out.  There is a good spark at the plug.  Should the spark plug be a short reach? 

Vintage_Wheel_Horse_Lover

should be champion H10c spark plug

953 nut

The Kohler engine service manual section 8 has information on adjusting the ignition points. The points gap also adjusts the ignition timing and should solve the problem you are experiencing.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

23 Reo

Your issue may be lack of fuel. I would clean the carburetor, replace the fuel filter and flush out the fuel tank. Make sure that you have a good fuel flow from the tank.

• Like 1

fourwheelhorseman

It could also be a sticky valve… just a thought.

Rick3478

Sounds to me like a carburetor issue.  The idle circuit is a separate thing and it seems to be working, but if the main jet is clogged you won't get any fuel to the venturi when the throttle plate opens.  Also these can get a bit wonky if the throttle shaft bushings are worn, letting extra air leak in.  I'd look for something along those lines.

KZK

Thanks to all for your advice will work through them all and let you know the outcomes. I have tried a Chinese replacement carb which does exactly the same as the original so I assume wear might not be the problem but thanks for all the suggestions. Have bought a new plug and will check the contact breaker as I think I set them on a reverse rotation!!!  I also have left the ignition turned on and only realised this some time later when the coil was too hot to touch.  Will it survive or will it need replacing?

Jon Paulsen
5 hours ago, KZK said:

Will it survive or will it need replacing?

If you have a meter, you should be able to check resistance across the coil. Someone might know the spec., or might be in the manual, but good enough test would probably be 5 or 10 ohms, unlikely kilohms, not megohms. 

KZK

Thanks Jon have checked with the plug and still appears to be creating a spark at the electrodes 

• Like 2

richmondred01

Remove, clean, face (if required), lap and adjust valves. This is an overlooked procedure and is a fairly easy process. 

01C8EE3D-43B3-4970-A2FF-CB6A70E70447.jpeg

DEBF9A89-C214-4751-BF92-BF2D7446F328.jpeg

• Excellent 1