76c12091520h

HH120 Tecumseh - should it live or die ?

76c12091520h

Tonight I had a customer come and by all our Briggs and Tecumseh small engine parts, and when I say small engine parts I mean push mower related parts. That in turn had me going thru our Tecumseh / Wheel Horse inventory. We've had this HH120 Wheel Horse spec engine for sale on Facebook for a few weeks now ( $50 ) with no takers. It runs and all systems work just like they should ( carb, starter, charging system ) except it has the death knock. That being said, we have all the parts on hand that it would need to do a complete rebuild. I guess what I'm looking for is to see if anyone might be interested in a fully rebuilt Tecumseh / opinions ..........or just scrap it and call it done ( part it out ) ????? Rebuild would be done in house so there would be no outside expenses, the only thing that would keep me from going forward would be a crankshaft beyond repair.

20231130_212932[1].jpg

20201231_104509[1].jpg

John2189

If you were closer, id buy it as is for the $50.00

WHX??

I would say pull it apart and find out about the death knock. How bad is it and the required fix. 

From a business standpoint how do you stand to make the better profit. Selling a rebuilt motor or the parts separate to rebuild it. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, WHX?? said:

I would say pull it apart and find out about the death knock. How bad is it and the required fix. 

From a business standpoint how do you stand to make the better profit. Selling a rebuilt motor or the parts separate to rebuild it. 

That's the way I'd go.  

If it was the much more rare OHV160 I'd say rebuild. 

That 120 carb is likely worth more by itself than the engine as a whole.  

wallfish

Looks like a flywheel fin broke off and battered the inside of that blower housing. Not often there's dents in the housing from the inside. Unless it's just a pic illusion.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

That's the way I'd go

It's like buying a 50 💵 tractor EB. 

Parts might fetch way more but then again  just as much work listing, haggling with buyers & shipping.  

Trouble is the I save & purist in me always says resto. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

It's like buying a 50 💵 tractor EB. 

Parts might fetch way more but then again  just as much work listing, haggling with buyers & shipping.  

Trouble is the I save & purist in me always says resto. 

That's the conundrum I struggle with.

We've never disassembled a running tractor that went through our shop.

I've had a few I've sold off. I've had a few that were bad in some way or another like needing an engine or transmission.

I understand and agree with the logic that disassembling a good tractor can save several others but I can't bring myself to do it... Yet ..

• Like 1

76c12091520h

I guess the question I should have asked is: would anyone be willing to pay $400 -$500 for a professionally rebuilt, show quality 12 hp Tecky?

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, 76c12091520h said:

I guess the question I should have asked is: would anyone be willing to pay $400 -$500 for a professionally rebuilt, show quality 12 hp Tecky?

Therein lies the question of demand.  

IF someone wanted one for a Wheelhorse and knew they'd be keeping it for (decades?)  IMHO it's a great investment.  

But how many WH used a 12 HP Tecumseh?

1974 and 75 C120....

What else?

WHX??
9 hours ago, 76c12091520h said:

pay $400 -$500 for a professionally rebuilt, show quality 12 hp Tecky?

Agreed EB. That might be a hard sell Brian.

That WH fella might be far and few away. Not many out there wanting to keep things orginal anymore. 

Most that have a blown Techy might opt for a cheaper HF motor for a repo. 

Just thinking out loud here would a guy have a better chance of painting it a service motor color after rebuild and offering it to other brands?  Many other breeds used it Sears coming to mind. Might broaden the marketing & customer base? 

On the other hand rebuilding it your going to have time, materials & parts in it & that means overhead that a business never needs. 

If you were closer I would get it for the 50 and it would go in a tractor show fleamarket for 75-100. I know it would eventually sell. 

I guess in the end I wouldn't rebuild it. Too much of a gamble. 

Much as EB says 

9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

disassembling a good tractor can save several others but I can't bring myself to do it..

I do it all the time but they are not considered "good" tractors. 

Don't mean I like it tho. :)

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

If you part it out and it has a good usable crankshaft, member @Thatoneguy was previously looking for one.

John2189

If you part it out, I may be interested in the coil/magneto

• Like 1