Pat Marchwick

Replacement cable for snowblower chute

Pat Marchwick

I found 80 pound picture frame cable works great for replacement. Many strands and flexible to go around the crank handle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine

@AHS and @OldWorkHorse you guys may want to read this.  

peter lena

@Pat Marchwick  my first chute rewind , led me to  20 lb. braded fishing line , let me experiment on movement function / issues , etc.  had the strength and flexibility to get the job done , that led me to a  plastic snow slide , for a chute bottom  slide improvement , silicone grease , also led me to swapping the chute cable connections to ,bolt on , electrical lugs , for a better cable mount point . also die nut threaded the end of  chute rod , for threads to put a smooth ball end , makes moving it much easier with gloves / mittens . ended up with the thinnest cable similar to yours , s/s no rust or issue . that detailing made me improve every movement drag area . idler pulley frame behind blade , is free to move with heavier spring , re greased related pulleys , auger spins easily ,PTO start point to mule drive down belt , by hand . went on to improve every  W/H  belt driven attachment I have . the belt driven area related drag , anything , needs help with rotational  function /  drag , eats clutches , detailing  makes the area , much smoother , faster , Pete  

• Heart 1

moe1965

I used a garage door cable line and greased and lubed all moving parts like Pete mentioned above.  I also apply used motor oil to the chain after every use

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@moe1965  glad to hear of your gain on blower function , that related PTO DRIVE BELT  DRAG / RESISTANCE  , is definitely  telling you something , typically went alter every movable part of it , as I moved along , changed set up , there was a gain / movement ease at that point  , HELLO ? that used oil is a good lube , also related spin off , gets a rustproofing . just the change from , neglect / grunge is showing you the way , like SUPER LUBE LIQUUD  on related cables , hard ware store $  6. blower I  sold would spin by hand , guy that bought it was amazed at movement ease . probably sitting outside , in tall grass , neglected . Pete