Lane Ranger

An odd ball three piece RJ transmission

Lane Ranger

I will be heading to Ohio this weekend to take some RJ transmissions to Keith Jones.   Going to get an RJ transmission rebuilt by Keith and Larry Eads to go on an RJ my brother David bought from Rodney Burger in 2018 on the was back from the LeSeur , Minnesota sale in April.

This thing has been sitting in our starve shed for five years.  Yesterday I worked outside for three hours removing parts and pieces to get the transmission off the frame.   I had not really looked at this thing much so was surprised when I started work to find the steel channel welded to the bottom of the two side panels on the 3 piece transmission.

Now I have seen cracked center cases and rewelded ones but never anything like this one.  My thought is this must have been done after a redo to protect the underside from damage.   No real damage seen by  so who knows.   No cable on the hitch.  Hitch moves but channel extends beyond the hitch.

The hub removals were the easiest parts.  Well greased axles and my three tooth pulley remover was like slicing through butter!

The worst job was the roll pin.  Removing from the idler/clutch arm.  Broke a 1/8 punch and sprayed several times with PB Blaster.

Finally got enough roll pin down inside the hole to use my regular roll pin punches which removed it.

The welds are interesting as there are three two to two and a half inch ones on each side.  I am sure they will have to be cut out with an angle grinder.  The bolts in the side plates can be removed but the plates will not allow access due to brake shaft and drive shaft on the other side. 

Removed the idler pulley and brake band after removing the clutch rod.

I did not remove the drive pulley as the pulley had an oversized bolt rather than a set screw holding the drive pulley on the woodruff key on the drive shaft.

The other discovery during yesterday’s work was the RJ had Wards Riverside rear tires .   I have recollection from a show several years ago guys love this tire tread and pay premium price for these tires. 

I am hauling this one to Keith and Larry with channel plate still on it.  I think we still have good gears in it and hopefully the case can be saved.  I do have others they can use however in the rebuild I hope to put on this RJ. 

Anyway I thought this would be a post some would want to see!

IMG_9989.jpeg

IMG_1282.jpeg

IMG_9975.jpeg

IMG_9976.jpeg

IMG_9981.jpeg

IMG_9978.jpeg

IMG_9977.jpeg

IMG_9980.jpeg

IMG_9979.jpeg

IMG_9983.jpeg

IMG_9982.jpeg

IMG_9986.jpeg

IMG_9987.jpeg

IMG_0027.jpeg

IMG_0028.jpeg

IMG_0026.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 3

stevasaurus

:orcs-cheers:

• Heart 1

Pullstart

Well that’ll make taking the side pieces off fun!  

On a side note, I love those tires!  If you ever decide to get rid of them, or need a trade, I have almost bought entire tractors for the tires.

• Excellent 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I love those tires! 

:text-imwithstupid:

Thanks for the :text-coolphotos: Lane! :occasion-xmas:

• Excellent 1

Lane Ranger
11 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Well that’ll make taking the side pieces off fun!  

On a side note, I love those tires!  If you ever decide to get rid of them, or need a trade, I have almost bought entire tractors for the tires.

Kevin:   Keith Jones and I discussed these tires yesterday.   He pointed them out to me.    I recall I had another pair some time ago and had them on a tractor I have since sold.  I was approved by a younger guy who wanted them for pulling I believe.    

I will let you know first when they are ready for distribution! 

• Thanks 1