Ed Kennell

Pa. Hunter Dies In Tree Stand

Pullstart

Sad news, I can’t imagine the instant chaos from the LP catching fire uncontrolled!

On another note, I dream of a day I hunt in a heated blind and my wife brings my lunch and gun out for me.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

rmaynard

Seems like such an unfair advantage, you all warm and snuggly with food and drink while the deer freezes trying to find some food. Maybe it wasn't a rodent that tinkered with the heater.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

JoeM
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

I hunt in a heated blind

Down here we call those Chevy pickups!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

JoeM
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

These are the headlines that fuel the ant-hunting groups.

most news outlets these day.

Same folks think meat comes from a Super Market.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SylvanLakeWH

msn.com :snooty:

Accidents with heaters can and do happen everywhere. Hunting context is irrelevant. Focus should have been on educating folks on safe portable heater use. Mainstream media agenda isn't served by that though... anti gun anti hunting is the message... 

Sad.

• Like 6

rmaynard
1 minute ago, JoeM said:

Down here we call those Chevy pickups!

In Maryland you can only hunt from a vehicle if you have a handicap license.

• Like 6

JoeM
2 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

handicap license

Shoot half the people in this county have one of those placards hanging from the mirror. Right of passage thing.

Wild Wild Western Pa. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Last year it was the guy fell asleep (or drunk) fell out of his stand and died

Then the heart attack while dragging the deer out and finally a bow hunter that got tangled up with a bucks horns and severly injured

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

rmaynard
Just now, JoeM said:

most news outlets these day.

Same folks think meat comes from a Super Market.

I am not a hunter, but I agree. We have a herd of about 30 deer that pass through our property almost every night. If we don't keep spraying shrubs and flowers with Bobbex deer repellant, we would have nothing. They are beautiful creatures, but they are so destructive. 

• Like 2

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

msn.com :snooty:

Accidents with heaters can and do happen everywhere. Hunting context is irrelevant. Focus should have been on educating folks on safe portable heater use. Mainstream media agenda isn't served by that though... anti gun anti hunting is the message... 

Sad.

the corner investigated that the heating caught fire.  Lots of quick work to get the complete message out.

I do feel for the guy.  I sit in a cold tree quite often.  @Ed Kennell knows how that wind can cut you.  If he really needed that heat to withstand the weather to provide food for his family, it could mean he was doing the best with what he had.

• Like 2

rmaynard
1 minute ago, JoeM said:

Shoot half the people in this county have one of those placards hanging from the mirror. Right of passage thing.

Wild Wild Western Pa. 

Unlike the handicap hang-tags for parking, the hunting handicap status most be documented when purchasing a hunting license. (This is according to my brother who drives around a 90 year old handicapped hunter).

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Then the heart attack while dragging the deer out and finally a bow hunter that got tangled up with a bucks horns and severly injured

I nearly impaled my lower jaw/right cheek yesterday hopping out of the back of my truck.  It could easily be spun as a gas powered vehicle faulted for my death.  

• Like 3

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

I am not a hunter, but I agree. We have a herd of about 30 deer that pass through our property almost every night. If we don't keep spraying shrubs and flowers with Bobbex deer repellant, we would have nothing. They are beautiful creatures, but they are so destructive. 

I am sure a local hunter would love to manage the herd for you, if that is a possibility.

• Like 1

ri702bill
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

Sad news, I can’t imagine the instant chaos from the LP catching fire uncontrolled!

On another note, I dream of a day I hunt in a heated blind and my wife brings my lunch and gun out for me.

And ice cream.....

• Like 1

rmaynard
27 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I am sure a local hunter would love to manage the herd for you, if that is a possibility.

My property is 1.06 acres. All residential. No hunting in the area. That's why the deer thrive.

• Like 1

WHX??
48 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I nearly impaled my lower jaw/right cheek yesterday hopping out of the back of my truck. 

How does that not surprise us?!?!

:auto-ambulance:

• Haha 9

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Then this headline a few years ago.          Three Hunters Die on first day of deer season.       A truck driver fell asleep, crossed into their lane hitting them as they were driving to camp.  :(

• Sad 2

CCW

Last week in Texas my SIL was field dressing his kill when a pack of coyotes came up behind him.  He high tailed out of there with the doe on his back.  Finished the job within the headlights of his truck.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

SylvanLakeWH
40 minutes ago, CCW said:

Last week in Texas my SIL was field dressing his kill when a pack of coyotes came up behind him.  He high tailed out of there with the doe on his back.  Finished the job within the headlights of his truck.

In Michigan coyotes are fair game as long as you have a valid hunting license. I would think Texas would be the same...?

:eusa-think:

Ed Kennell
8 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

In Michigan coyotes are fair game

Same here in PeeAaa.

• Like 1

pfrederi
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Same here in PeeAaa.

Annual Coyote trapping competitions open hunting not such a great idea

Coyotes are natural part of natures balancing

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
12 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Annual Coyote trapping competitions open hunting not such a great idea

Coyotes are natural part of natures balancing

Don't disagree. In Michigan they are considered small game, not open hunting, so license is required to take.

CCW
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

In Michigan coyotes are fair game as long as you have a valid hunting license. I would think Texas would be the same...?

They are, but his rifle was in the truck and the location he was hunting did not allow him to carry is sidearm.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Guess we aren't the apex predator...

Edited by pfrederi