Ricks 520

Gt14 Transmission whine

Ricks 520

I have been working on a GT14 I got last summer as a basket case. Changed the fluid and the filter and did some other work to it. I took it out for a drive and it sounds good and the lifts go up and down fine but it has a whine in the transmission when it moves and only moving. Thought I would ask for ideas before I tear it down.

Edited by Ricks 520
  • Like 2

Pullstart

Sometimes they whine.  It’s best to warm it up, then chain it to a tree and stress that transmission.  It should be able to spin the tires, forward and in reverse.  If it is whining and it’s not turning tires then it’s a problem.  @PeacemakerJack’s son Zach just redid a GT14 and this was a topic of discussion.

• Like 4

PeacemakerJack

Rick-I’m not sure why the whine but Zach’s is working good so far.  He pulled a furrow plow around Jim’s plow day for about 3 hours without any incident.  In our case, we are just going to continue to use it until it starts lacking the lugging power that it currently possesses…IMG_7901.jpeg.4808ca84ab1fcecc63b622b052e4a66f.jpeg

IMG_7907.jpeg.1a6fb47ae838c1d7a907da6227dfd6a1.jpeg

• Excellent 2

peter lena

@Ricks 520,  pay attention to any operational  / changes / noise . better worse ?  drive it reverse ? always found a rear end related noise / function  is not a one and done , improvement . also use it in a total opposed  drive function , yesterday  had my horse , in a near by CUL DE SAC  for backward  motion , like to heat things up , open empty road , check oil color , might try a different fluid / additive ?  just a suggestion . pete

• Like 1

19richie66

We had hydrostats at work that whined for years. Sunstrand pumps in groundsmasters, we ran them till they wouldn’t move which usually was because of operator abuse. I would enjoy it for as long as it will last and possibly look for another pump. Never know, it may last another 20 years depending on use. The newer Eaton 1100 can be put in it but it’s a job. 

• Like 1