Geoff Cornwall

C161 drive belt

Jon Paulsen

NAPA belts may very well be usable but the pricing here is FAR MORE EXPENSIVE than getting a Toro Wheelhorse belt online. 

826375422_Screenshot_20231126-0935262.png.5a29004e2c52b355d04df3c7844e21de.png

They do offer deferred payments, Eric :lol: 

• Haha 1

sjoemie himself

Here's what I made. Some scrap and polyurethane material. These have some give to them.

About the belts.. in the Netherlands we have a website called 'Kramp' where you can buy a whole range of (garden)tractor parts. That where I got my belts. 

20230422_205418.jpg.ec981c0ff56dee2ebe3efcec10a7a75a.jpg.83a03e82bacf9fbca441324c23523095.jpg

20230422_205527.jpg.dddf190b1a7aee4537a3a6540f9a6e3e.jpg.02aa07d40dd5022ba9aa042b85157afc.jpg

20230422_202942.jpg.8605290233534518ca345ca7b86fd9b8.jpg.cc1acad3404f88e6ce914807d96bfb34.jpg

Edited by sjoemie himself
  • Excellent 6

Geoff Cornwall

Sjoemie , those look really good , i may be able to do something similar . Im still waiting for the belt i have ordered so i thought i would take off the tranmission and idler pulleys , the idler feels surprisingly good , but the transmission pulley keyway is worn although the fit on the shaft doesnt seem to bad the grub screw has been replaced with a bolt at sometime in its life , i will measure the thread and see if i can find the correct grub screw for it , again thanks for all the help and advice so far . 

• Thanks 1

Geoff Cornwall

I just thought id add , the belt i ordered is from a company called bearing boys , £27 with delivery , i think that converts to 35 dollars , the also stock quite a range of imperial sized bearings , i got new front wheel bearings from them . 

• Like 1

Geoff Cornwall

The belt arrived today , not genuine . It is a megadyne cloth wrapped belt , new clutch springs are also unobtainable over here . Will fit the belt at the weekend along with a closer spring i managed to find . Fingers crossed i get an improvement while i try and work out what to do about the engine mounts . 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Geoff Cornwall said:

The belt arrived today , not genuine . It is a megadyne cloth wrapped belt , new clutch springs are also unobtainable over here . Will fit the belt at the weekend along with a closer spring i managed to find . Fingers crossed i get an improvement while i try and work out what to do about the engine mounts . 

I realize you don't know me from a hole in the ground so take this with a grain of salt if needed.

If that was my own tractor, and I know it is not... I would not consider installing another belt that I just spent good hard-earned money on till the engine mount issue was worked out properly.

If nothing else believe it would be in your best interest to stack washers in there.

When your mounts were new they didn't really have a heck of a lot of give to them.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Geoff Cornwall

thats good advice Eric , i may be able to make some sort of spacers as i have access to a lathe at work . Saw your you tube video of colossus this morning , it popped up . Looks very excellent ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Geoff Cornwall said:

thats good advice Eric , i may be able to make some sort of spacers as i have access to a lathe at work . Saw your you tube video of colossus this morning , it popped up . Looks very excellent ! 

Thanks Geoff!!

Geoff Cornwall

The Aluminium bar stock i ordered finally arrived so i made these spacers today , the idea and dimensions i found here on the forum , but i cant find it again to thank whoever origionally posted them . Im now hoping for some dry weather and daylight to get out and start fittiing ! 

IMG_1338.jpeg

• Excellent 6

23 Reo

Excellent, nice work!

• Like 2

Geoff Cornwall

Have fitted the solid mounts , new belt and spring , what a difference ! Thanks for all the advice , does the new belt take a while to bed in? 

• Like 1

wallfish
1 hour ago, Geoff Cornwall said:

does the new belt take a while to bed in? 

It shouldn't but they do tend to retain some "memory" bends from sitting in the packaging. Working the belt hard typically gets rid of it fairly quickly. Like backing up to a tree or wall and spinning the tires on the ground. Do it in reverse so it won't be able to drive up and tip over if it grabs. Driving up a steep hill maybe?

The memory bends can cause clutching issues by not allowing the belt to fully disengage with the engine pulley. 

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Geoff Cornwall said:

Have fitted the solid mounts , new belt and spring , what a difference ! Thanks for all the advice ,  

Excellent!

2 hours ago, wallfish said:

The memory bends can cause clutching issues by not allowing the belt to fully disengage with the engine pulley. 

Agreed.  

I've had new belts be a touch "grabby" for a bit. 

Possibility of rusty pulleys but I doubt that because the old belt was working a few weeks ago.  

Jon Paulsen
3 hours ago, wallfish said:

Do it in reverse so it won't be able to drive up and tip over if it grabs.

That sucks all the fun out of it.