Sign in to follow this  
stevasaurus

wh 502

stevasaurus

well, this is the 4th tractor to get running, and was not the easiest.

2008_0822502wheelhorse19620008.jpg

I had to use the fanbelt, figure eight, two tractor method to get it to start initally. Once it was running she was sucking air so bad, I could not close the choke. Pulled apart the Walbro carb and cleaned it and replaced the gaskets.

2008_0822502wheelhorse19620009.jpg

The recoil needs some work, but if I can get the dog to bite, she starts on the 2nd pull now, and idels and runs pretty good, and smooth. The HT 55 C does smoke

a little...but not to bad. Smokes more at an idle.

2008_0822502wheelhorse19620010.jpg

The trans is good, and no leaks. Ran her around the block a few times yesterday. Got a few honks and thumbs up. She is a good looking philly.

2008_0822502wheelhorse19620011.jpg

I did need to fabricate a brake rod and buy a tension spring to replace parts I did not have.

2008_0822502wheelhorse19620012.jpg

Wasn't sure if this tractor would run or not, but now that I know it runs...could be a good candidate for a restore.

Question...are parts available to rebuild the tecumseh? HT 55 C...3088P

If there is, I would need help and advise. :thumbs: :thumbs2:

CasualObserver

Congrats on the runner there Steve! It looks like a keeper to me! So what are you bringing up to LeSeuer?

WHC-125

Steve, great job! Always glad to hear about someone getting a horse running again :thumbs2:

Coadster32

Good Job. Well earned trip around the block. Nice looking also. :thumbs2:

sorekiwi

Good Job!

I freshened up an H55 a couple of years ago and found it really hard to find any information on the engine. BUT, it does share at least a lot of parts with an H60 so I used rings and gaskets for the H60. I'm not sure of all the differences, but it is the same bore size. The biggest difference I found was that the H55 has an internal oil pump, whereas the H60 is splash lubed. The rod on the H55 does not have the oill "dipper" on it. I reused the old rod.

The valves were different in my H55 too, they had a hole or a slot (dont remeber which) for a pin to go through the stem to retain the valve spring. I reused my old valves, but I think if you needed to, you could use H60 valves as long as you switch to the newer retainers.

H60 stuff I remember using: rings, lifters, gaskets, points, condensor, breather assembly. I had trouble finding a carb kit, but kinda mixed and matched various tecumseh stuff and eventually found everything I needed.

Good luck!

Michael Bullington

nice tractor !! I think this model is one of rarest of the front engine round hoods with the H55

stevasaurus

Jason...I am trying to figure a way to bring both roundhoods up to the show. The 702 and the 502 pictured above. Looking to get there around noon Friday. I did go to the steam show last weekend in Sycamore, Ill. That is a great show, but not to much in garden tractors. About 20 tractors, assorted, and about 7 horses...nothing old.

Mike's...thanks for the help. I had a feeling the H60 and the H55 might be the same on alot of parts. I've read many of the past threads on the techy. :thumbs:

I did not know the model 502 that I have was rare though. Any information on that around? I got to say though...the Walbro carborator was not bad to work with and adjust. :thumbs2:

Michael Bullington

Well this is my opionon and others will have theirs, but here is how I would rank the front engine round hoods from hard to find ranked first

1.) 502, 552, 32r, 32E (must be with H55)

2.) 603, 604 33r, 34r(with correct engines)

3.) 653, 654, 33e, 34e,(with correct engines)

4.) 701, 633, 704, 754

5.) 854, 753

6.) 702 (easiest) :thumbs2:

TJ

Glad to hear your on the road. Nice tractor. :thumbs2:

sorekiwi

I did not know the model 502 that I have was rare though. Any information on that around?

I dont think that the 502 is particularly rare in itself, what is rare is to find a 502 that still has its H55 in the front. There are a lot around that have been repowered with H60's, and a lot that have been repowered by Kohlers.

Its the H55 that is as rare as hens teeth.

stevasaurus

you know what? I learn something everytime I log on to this site. :thumbs:

I think this Philly just earned the right to put out for stud. No yard work, just rides around the block and go to shows. My dad had this tractor in pieces in the shed for 15 years...I put it back together not knowing why he tore it apart. I still don't know and I may never know because I didn't find anything wrong. I hate to think he was going to modify her to make a puller or something.

The only thing this tractor is going to do is carry me around the block, and I may lose some weight to make it easier for her. :thumbs2:

thanks redsquare :ychain:

perry

good to hear ya gotta going :thumbs2: .

Duff

I think this Philly just earned the right to put out for stud.

Steve-O, forgive me, buddy, but I can't resist this one! :thumbs:

My wife was reading over my shoulder and spotted this. We're both horse people, but her thing is the four-legged variety. I thought she was going to pee herself laughing and thought she'd lost it until I got her calmed down enough to point out to me that a "filly" is a female horse....not exactly "stud" material (but maybe stud bait!). :thumbs2:

Duff :ychain:

linen beige

I think this Philly just earned the right to put out for stud.

Duff, Read that sentence VERY carefully. It actually makes perfect sense as written. :thumbs2:

Duff

Duff, Read that sentence VERY carefully. It actually makes perfect sense as written. :thumbs:

Hmmmmmm...........

Duff :thumbs2:

wheel horse 1045

i dont get it either and duff is right about a filly

stevasaurus

guys...I knew that a filly (philly) is a female...that is why I said for stud and not to stud. :thumbs:

glad I got to tickle somebody Duff. :thumbs2:

Buzz

guys...I knew that a filly (philly) is a female...that is why I said for stud and not to stud. :thumbs:

glad I got to tickle somebody Duff. :thumbs2:

"and that's why the lady is a tramp............"

wh1257

this is a verry nice tractor

stevasaurus

Buzz...that is too cool.

quote " and she won't dish the dirt,

with the rest of the broads. That's why the lady is a tramp." :thumbs2:

linen beige

for stud and not to stud. :thumbs2:

SEE? :thumbs: The devil is in the details.

Suburban 550

Nice tractor, Steve. :thumbs: That's a keeper. :thumbs2:

joebob

wow really nice tractor :ychain: looks like one I found in mn, that disappeared at dusk :scratchead: I dont remember it looking like no filly :hide:

bitten

Looks good. Glad you got her running.