goldeagle

Renovating wheels - best approach?

goldeagle

I have purchased a couple of rear wheels as I want a spare set that I can put Ag tires on, so I have the option to swap between turf and ag tires if I want to. The wheels have seen better days and fairly rusty and beaten up. What is the best approach for doing a fairly quick renovation on these that doesn't involve sending off to be sand-blasted and spray-painted? I was thinking about wire-brushing off any flaky surface and then spraying with white hammerite which can be sprayed directly on a rusty surface. Would that be an ok approach? And should I paint the inside of the wheels too?

The edges on one of the wheels are a bit out of shape; if I use tube inners I guess that will remove any issues of the wheel sealing against the rim?

Any advice or suggestions appreciated!

20231122_180421.jpg

20231122_180428.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut

A needle gun will get the rust and old paint off better and faster than anything I've ever used. Reasonably inexpensive tool, gets into those tight spots and easy to use.

image.jpeg.052b1eb70f6d157bbdeab1d5e949ead3.jpeg

• Like 6

ri702bill
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

A needle gun will get the rust and old paint off better and faster than anything I've ever used. Reasonably inexpensive tool, gets into those tight spots and easy to use.

image.jpeg.052b1eb70f6d157bbdeab1d5e949ead3.jpeg

The tool is also known as a needle scaler - works great on rims. Requires a lot of air and learning the proper angle / force technique.

• Like 3

Roadhog

Save yourself some grief and send it out to be sand blasted. You will be glad you did

• Like 2

peter lena

@goldeagle  might try this first , would deflate tire , empty , verify the condition of  both tire inner bead sealing  / wheel , clean / rust free , have any silicone grease, spray ? for tire beading , would also use a higher pressure , inflation  nozzle to slam / pop that beading in place . mounted a lot of tires / wheels  , sometimes a violent sealing does the trick , Pete

• Like 2

sjoemie himself

Sandblasting is definately the best option.

If that's not in the budget a angle grinder with (various) wire wheels will work pretty good.

As a primer I can highly recommend a zinc-spray, which can be (spray-) painted over with Hammerite.

Also treating the inside of the wheel in the same way ensures the best long time result. Most wheels tend to rust from the inside out because of condensation buildup, especially when using tubes.

• Like 4

squonk

Build an e tank. It's CHEEP! :laughing-rofl: and not labor intensive! :banana-wrench: All you need is half of a plastic 55 gal drum or garbage can, a scrap of steel and a battery charger.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Skwerl58

This summer I painted a set of wheels for my 1054. I stripped the front with citrus stripper and sanded them to prep. I then used a good primer and sprayed them with Rustoleum Semi gloss Ivory Bisque paint and they turned out great. The rear wheels I cleaned and then wet sanded and sprayed with the same and they turned out looking good too. Time and labor was involved with each but my tractor is a worker and grand kid puller. I thought about a sand blaster but I had time to do it myself so I did. The electrolysis is an intersting way to clear the rust and lots will have a lot of the stuff to do it. Save the wheels if they are salvageable and you will be glad you did!

• Like 2

Pullstart

I agree with @squonk.  The tool is easy to build and will serve years of rust restoration!

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

i have used scaler, various grinders, some hand sanding, etc but very best decision for any wheel with more than minor rust is definately sand blast -- looking at your photos of rusty rims i would certainly send them to blaster --- i use professional blaster  -- it costs some cash but considering the long term use and benefit the sand blasting is best decison for labor time, the mess, return on $$ investment, etc

wh rims wheel  - black.jpg

wh rims cream.jpg

• Like 3

Darrenw85

I send mine out to be blasted and powder coated.  I pay around $100 for 4 wheels.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

pfrederi

Do you want usable or pretty?  Usable. wire brush spray on some rustoleum rusty metal primer (Inside also) then what ever off white you prefer.  Pretty ...sand blast .. 

• Like 2

Sailman

I am a cheap skate and have taken some really bad shape rims used a needle scaler and die grinder with steel brush to clean 'em up. Even used JB weld to fill pin holes then prime and paint inside and out. Add tubes and they are good to go.

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 2

ebinmaine

Having recently set up an E-tank and tried ALL the above models except sand blasting ill cast another vote for

E-tank.  

We should have done this years ago.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Another big vote for E-Tank.

I use swimming Pool Ph+ in place ow Washing Soda. Easier for me to find he Ph+

I recently got a used 24V DC Power Supply. Really Cooks.

Do it outside.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
4 hours ago, Darrenw85 said:

I send mine out to be blasted and powder coated.  I pay around $100 for 4 wheels.

You got a connection…

• Like 4

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, Darrenw85 said:

WOW. 

7 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

You got a connection…

Agreed.  

I couldn't get it done here for less than HALF that. 

• Like 1

peter lena

@Brockport Bill  have a good turkey day ! notice in your wheel picture , the idler pulley  appears to have a wide rubber side shield on the bearing? if you have not done it already , chance to do a RE GREASE  on that . idler pulleys consistently fail  due to undersize bearings , and wrong lubricant , Lucas 550 drop point , green grease , makes them bombproof ,  turkey stuffing , Pete

• Like 1

953 nut
14 hours ago, Darrenw85 said:

If I had the kind of deal near me I would jump on it. I had four bar stool bases blasted and powder coated a few years back and they were $ 100 each.

3 minutes ago, peter lena said:

wide rubber side shield on the bearing? if you have not done it already , chance to do a RE GREASE  on that . idler pulleys consistently fail  due to undersize bearings , and wrong lubricant , Lucas 550 turkey stuffing

:eusa-think:           Peter, are you now advocating Turkey Stuffing for sealed bearings?????          :ychain:        Have a good Thanksgiving day.        :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Sailman
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

WOW. 

Agreed.  

I couldn't get it done here for less than HALF that. 

:text-yeahthat:Same here.........

I do use a cheap HF "gun" with media from northern tool......outside. Its slow and messy but cheap.

Edited by Sailman
  • Like 1