Sign in to follow this  
546cowboy

520H Help!

546cowboy

Hello all

I have a 1990 520H that dies and won't restart after running for 5 to 10 minutes.

Here is a little backround, I got this tractor after it was traded in, it had a broken rod. After looking for about 6 months I found a motor within driving distance with a dead cylinder. It had been overhauled about three years before and now had an intake seat loose. I got that repaired and installed it. It runs great and other than a few things and electrical problems it's great.

The first electrical problems were fixed by by-passing three wires at the engine harness connector and replacing the fuse panel with in-line fuses. It has mowed great for about a month and a half, then this started. It will start again after it sits awhile. It doesn't do it all the time, some days it will run all day. But for the last week it will do this two or three times and then run fine the rest of the day.

A summary of what I have tried:

I have the parts from the original engine and have tried replacing the ignition coil, no luck, the condenser, no luck. I have also eliminated the engine harness connector and spliced all the wires together.

I just worked on it this morning and when it does it, it has 12v. on both terminals of the coil but does not have spark at the plugs.

The thing about that is yesterday it would start if you squirted gas in the carb. So I tried an electric fuel pump but that didn't help either. Today I have no spark.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I am in NW Indiana

rustbucket

bad ignition switch possably

546cowboy

I could understand that if it didn't crank or there wasn't 12v to the coil but it would make no sense, but you never know'

Thanks

nylyon

Ok, sounds like the engine will be running just fine, then shuts down. You try to start it up again, and it cranks but there is no spark. You have 12V to the + side of the coil and have tried 2 separate coils, and condensers and it is the same.

If you're positive that there is no spark, then the only other logical item would be the ignition control. Perhaps swap that out from the old engine to see if it helps?

546cowboy

That's what I'll be looking at next. But as I explained there seems to be a fuel problem also. Both problems are intermittant and you never know which problem will show up when you start the tractor.

Horse Fanatic

So are you saying you have this symptom and sometimes testing reveals the problem is no spark and sometimes it is running out of fuel? The symptom is identical for each condition?