Keaton

3 point hitch

Keaton

i was thinking about making a 3 paint for my 701 cause i want to put a plow on it, and i can not find one for a decent price so i thought about making a 3 point, have any of you tried or made one?

ri702bill

I for one do not recall ever seeing a 3 point on a short frame WH. In so many ways, the 701 is a one year wonder - you may want to think twice before drilling or adding holes to it......

My opinion, Bill

• Excellent 2

Achto
1 hour ago, Keaton said:

i was thinking about making a 3 paint for my 701 cause i want to put a plow on it,

If you have the slot hitch on the back, you can purchase or make one of these. This will allow you to use a Brinly plow or most other Brinly attachments. 

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/toro-wheel-horse-slot-hitch-adapter/

A picture of the slot hitch and draw bar hitch on my 701. A cable connects the slot hitch to the rock shaft to allow you to raise & lower it.

IMG_20210425_110034428_HDR.jpg.964e7c0fa9c871e8f401a10460d8f09b.jpg

If you do not have a slot hitch you can purchase one of these and the cable in order to use Brinly attachments.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/toro-wheel-horse-brinly-clevis-hitch-sleeve-hitch-with-adjustment-plate-and-pin/

Cable from the rock shaft to the hitch.

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/3931-wheel-horse-reproduction-lift-cable/

Brinly plow new. You can usually find these for around $150 used.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Brinly-Hardy-10-in-Sleeve-Hitch-Tow-Behind-Moldboard-Plow-PP-51BH/100609655?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D28I-028_034_RIDERS-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-PMAX_SHP&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-D28I-028_034_RIDERS-NA-NA-NA-PMAX-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-PMAX_SHP-71700000113833184--&gclsrc=aw.ds&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIifLRwqTTggMVkMjICh1dKg1jEAQYAyABEgKpzvD_BwE

You could also search for a Wheel Horse plow, this would hook directly to the Wheel Horse slot hitch.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 6

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

I for one do not recall ever seeing a 3 point on a short frame WH. In so many ways, the 701 is a one year wonder - you may want to think twice before drilling or adding holes to it......

My opinion, Bill

2nd Bill's opinion.    Even if it were possible, don't compromise a rare 701.       Add a slot hitch like Dan explains and we will all be happy.

• Excellent 3

kpinnc

I would add a little more to what has been said already. I absolutely agree that a 701 warrants using a slot hitch, or even a clevis hitch. A 3-point is overkill. 

Secondly, a 3-point hitch is extremely limited on a small and light tractor. Combine this with a lack of hydraulic lift, and you are even more limited. There is also the lack of implements in CAT-0 sizes. I've had to fabricate all that I use with my Bronco 14. While I certainly love my 3-point, it is nearly too much strain on such a small machine. I absolutely would not build another one. It is very complex and time consuming- not to mention expensive. The hitch can lift more than the tractor can manage in most cases, even with an extra 100+lbs of weight up front. 

A slot hitch or even a clevis will couple your 701 with plenty of implements that more closely match the tractor's capabilties. Not to mention your ability to raise them with a manual lift. I assure you it will not dissapoint. 

IMG_20230829_115555501.jpg

IMG_20230814_195926634.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Keaton

this is some good ideas i was thinking about making something that would go onto the hitch now so i can put a plow and cultivator on it cause i can not find one for that for a decent price or local 

953 nut

I also agree with what others have said about the 701 not being irreversibly modified. I built a light duty three point hitch for one of my 953s that is more for show than work. If you attach a plow or other implement to the slot hitch it is reasonably close to the rear axle of the tractor. if you convert that same implement to a three point and attach it the laws of physics begin to take over because it is further back from the drive axle. When the plow is raised the weight will cause you to loose steering control and when lowered it will be so far behind that it will not follow well.

If you decide to go ahead with the three point you would want to use a HY-1 or hY-2 system to lift it. Add in the cost of the arms, a cylinder and hardware and you will have tidy sum invested in the three point when you are finished.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Yeah, no need to reinvent the wheel just to stick a plow on it :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Sailman

I have noticed something interesting on 2 different small wheel horse tractors that were for sale near me. Appears to be a "manual 3 pt hitch". Looked like an OEM piece that functioned like a  3 pt hitch with a manual lift lever operating off the back of the tractor. Have never seen one here on RS or anyone else mention it but seems an interesting piece to me.

Edited by Sailman

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, Sailman said:

I have noticed something interesting on 2 different small wheel horse tractors that were for sale near me. Appears to be a "manual 3 pt hitch". Looked like an OEM piece that functioned like a  3 pt hitch with a manual lift lever operating off the back of the tractor. Have never seen one here on RS or anyone else mention it but seems an interesting piece to me.

I’m guessing what you saw was some Sears/Craftsman tractors with the Sears manual 3 point hitch.  Here is a picture I previously saved of one on a WH
image.png.a957b17e242636a875ac7fc527d02546.png
I have one like this that I would sell. PM me if your interested.  You would use the Sears rear angled plate and mount it at the bottom to the transmission 3/4” pin and make a plate to mount to the top of the transmission under the seat/tool box. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Here a picture of the Sears hitch on an older Sears tractor.

Product photo of 1960s sears garden tractor SS12

here a picture from Ebay of all the parts you would need

Sears Suburban 8 10 12 14 16 Tractor OEM -  3 Point Hitch Rear Implement Lift - Picture 1 of 6

Edited by oliver2-44