DCwom

Stratified oil?

DCwom

So I did my 1st "regular" oil change on my Raider today (k301), I had done a few "flush" changes when I first inherited it to clean it out a bit, but this oil had some time on it, maybe 10 hours/12 months. I noticed that the 1st oil coming out was still somewhat honey colored, then it turned darker & darker, until it ended with the typical black used oil look. I had made a lap around the yard to warm up the block a bit, just warm enough to need gloves for the oil plug & dipstick, so I'm thinking it ought to have been mixed a bit. If I recall these simple engines use a splasher on the end of the piston rod, or something like that moves the oil around, are these really that bad at mixing the oil?

SylvanLakeWH

I usually get it really hot before an oil change... not only to mix it up but to get it flowing fast and complete so all the crud comes out with the oil... :twocents-twocents:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

RED-Z06

Do you use Sae30 Non Detergent?  Non Detergent oil lets the contaminants settle out into sludge...mainly good for lubricating pumps.  The more Detergent the better

• Like 1

DCwom
1 hour ago, RED-Z06 said:

Do you use Sae30 Non Detergent?  Non Detergent oil lets the contaminants settle out into sludge...mainly good for lubricating pumps.  The more Detergent the better

Straight 30, Rottella T1. I've actually heard the opposite about using detergent oil in Kohlers engines, of course oil can be a controversial topic, lots of opinions.

• Excellent 3

RED-Z06
27 minutes ago, DCwom said:

Straight 30, Rottella T1. I've actually heard the opposite about using detergent oil in Kohlers engines, of course oil can be a controversial topic, lots of opinions.

T1 should be fine, should have detergents and dispersents.  Detergents are your friend in any engine, you might recall a huge national class action lawsuit about 10 years ago involving Dollar General selling "sae30 non detergent" oil that, on the carton even said "best for engines made pre-1946, pumps and compressors".  People were using this oil in their mowers, generators, cars...and it was rapidly killing them.  I tore apart a few engines that had been used on non detergent oil, once that stuff gets on your skin it stains you for days.

• Like 1

kpinnc

Since most of these machines had a life before I came along, I pull the pan and clean it any time I get one. A 40+ year old engine is gonna have sludge in the pan, regardless of how well it was maintained.

The fact is that Kohler manuals called for straight weight oils, and the older stuff (oil) was inconsistent at best, garbage at worst. One of the few things made better nowadays is motor oil. 

That being said, Rotella T1 is good stuff. Keep using it.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

RED-Z06
7 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Since most of these machines had a life before I came along, I pull the pan and clean it any time I get one. A 40+ year old engine is gonna have sludge in the pan, regardless of how well it was maintained.

The fact is that Kohler manuals called for straight weight oils, and the older stuff (oil) was inconsistent at best, garbage at worst. One of the few things made better nowadays is motor oil. 

That being said, Rotella T1 is good stuff. Keep using it.

Its like the old 2 strokes that call for 8:1 castor oil or sae30...its not that they need it to run, they needed it back then with 1960s oils 

• Like 3

JoeM

I watched my dad put gas in the crankcase and pull the rope a dozen times after draining the "hot" oil. Then drain the gas out letting it set a while before adding the new oil. Those old mowers lasted and lasted. 

I never had the nuts to do it but I know some of those old Kohlers flushed themselves when the fuel pumps leak into the crankcase. 

squonk

I got this K341 with 700 hrs. on it. Oil was blacker than black and the engine smoked like a fish. Nothing but Rotella 30W after I got it. Stopped smoking shortly after but would burn a qt. a month.  At 1000 hrs. I started hearing a noise and tore it down. Found a broken piston skirt. (You can see the missing piece on the piston.) But the engine was spotless with using the Rotella

k-4.jpg.e67129272689348f3f241ca9fc399c25.jpg

Edited by squonk