RJR49

Parking Pawl

RJR49

The Parking pawl on my C-160 must have sheared. My understanding is that its made of brass so given the age it's not a surprise that it failed. I don't think that I would have a problem manufacturing a new one but I'm wondering it it's worth the effort. What does it take to get to the pawl? 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Some were a steel strap, that can be welded up and ground back into shape.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, RJR49 said:

The Parking pawl on my C-160 must have sheared. My understanding is that its made of brass so given the age it's not a surprise that it failed. I don't think that I would have a problem manufacturing a new one but I'm wondering it it's worth the effort. What does it take to get to the pawl? 

Have you had it apart to verify the actual issue?

• Like 1

squonk

You have to disassemble the differential to repair /replace the pawl

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

Mine was steel and the teeth broke off . Hopefully they sink to the bottom of the transmission. You need to take it apart to inspect it before it does damage. On mine I ground off the teeth and drove it like that. I think it's a bad design  and to easy to damage the trans.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

easy to damage the trans.

Agreed.  

The tractor needs to be STOPPED DEAD before engaging the brake.  

Humans can't be bothered to read and follow instructions. 

Myself included.  

:hide:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RJR49

daveoman1966

The internal PARKING PAWL is a PITA to replace.  The problem is: tiny shavings from this pawl (or the gear) get into the hydro pump/motor and damage soft brass parts within that hyd system.  This happens 'cause some think it is a PANIC STOP--and that may be--- but every time you jerk the engagement lever UP when moving, tiny bits of steel get into the fluid.  Eventually, those soft brass parts fail, resulting in system pressure loss...resulting in tractor power loss (esp when warmed up). 

SOLUTION: (1) Crack the gearbox open and replace / repair (weld up) the Parking Pawl.  (2)Flush out ALL remaining fluid from hyd pump and motor. (3) Inspect the Hyd Pump for internal damage to the SOFT BRASS parts...piston slipper, thrust plate... in BOTH the hyd pump AND Hyd motor.  If the piston slippers are scarred, refinish them...and the Thrust plate too. (4) Install NEW FILTER.  I've done this for a few dozen Sundstrand units and have a FREE download of what / how to do this:      

SUNDSTRAND Piston-Piston PUMP & MOTOR Refurb.pdf

pfrederi

It isn't brass it is steel.. if it has been ground up then the steel bits have probably done considerable damage to your hydro. You have to split the rear end to get to the pawl.  You can build it up with some weld and file/grind back to shape.

Edited by pfrederi

RJR49

Doesn't sound like it's worth the effort. I change the fluid and filter regularly and it's running fine so I think I'll take a wait and see approach