Jim Leh

Hydraulics 1979 C-141A

Jim Leh

1979 C-141A Sundsrand.   Oil dripping, especially upon load, and does not appear to be coming from transmission but from other hydraulic components that are hard to see. Can’t see but assuming a hose must come from trans to lift valve and then another hose from valve to lift cylinder. So, “system” is 2 hoses, lift valve, and lift cylinder.  Again assuming, you replace the hoses and “ rebuild” lift valve and lift cylinder if they are structurally able to be rebuilt. If not, are there replacements for these 2 items or do you find them used or already rebuilt? 
I am in Northern Michigan. Any knowledge of someone in this area that works on these old tractors?  Thanks.  Jim 

ebinmaine

The hoses and valve rebuild kit should be available from Wheel Horse Parts And More. One of our vendors.

He also can rebuild most hydraulic cylinders.

If you can do your own minor mechanical repairs, you'll be able to handle this one.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Pull the fender pan and you should be able to see most a lot of the hydraulics.  If needed pull the right rear wheel and right running board and you really have it all exposed.  

Give it a good cleaning, top and bottom.  Then look where the fresh oil is coming from.  While the fender is off its a great opportunity to pull the center top tunnel cover and give the motion control a good cleaning

As Eric posted, Wheel Horse parts and more has hoses, gaskets, seals, O-rings, cylinder and valve rebuilds.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

daveoman1966

The schematics for the C-141 are on this website.  Enter your model EXACTLY as 'C-141' and clik SEARCH.  Next page shows C-141 listings.... clik either AUTOMATIC....then clik 'Assembly Drawings'.  

All sorts of schematics will pop up...  detailing parts and part numbers.  

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro&lang=us_en

NOTE--- if it comes to rebuilding the Sundstrand model 90-1173 pump, I have a FREE download to take you thru the step-by-step process for BOTH the Hyd PUMP and Hyd MOTOR.  

• Like 1

Jim Leh

Thanks  to all who replied - you all helped immensely. As with any project on an old (79) machine, once you are “ in there”  several other parts needed to be ordered but transmission appears to be ok. Thanks to your help, I contacted “ Wheel Horse Parts and More” for help and parts. Very solid. All ok except…..???
Trying to install solid motor mounts and having trouble. Got back 2 in bit front 2 don’t seem to line up. Any help be appreciated

Thanks,   Jim 

ebinmaine

I haven't personally done these.

@PWL216

@WHX??

@Achto

Any thoughts?

WHX??
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Jim Leh said:

Got back 2 in bit front 2 don’t seem to line up. 

How far off are they Jim?

Leave all bolts loose. Until you get them all in. Loosening up the shaker plate blocks may give a little wiggle room. Make sure drive or PTO belts aren't pulling the motor off. 

Just guessing these are Zack Kerber solids like these?  

20191023_174828.jpg

20191023_174812.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Excellent 3

Jim Leh

About 1/4 inch    Yes Zack Kerber.   From wheel horse parts and more 

thanks for reply.   Jim 

• Like 1

WHX??
57 minutes ago, Jim Leh said:

thanks for reply.

No problem Jim.

If they are Kerbers they should fit right in. Sounds like things might have shifted around abit but shouldn't be an issue to get that gap out. Loosen those bolts on the bottom side of the triangle blocks to get that wiggle room.  I had best luck leaving everything way loose. Pry up on the front of the motor just enough to get them in. Clean threads helps. 

I might have done the fronts first but CRS but I do know there was no major issues. 

Keep us posted. 

• Like 1

Jim Leh

I started this repair on November 14, 2023, with a post here. I’m glad to say my 1979 C-141A, with snowblower, was functional yesterday (1/12/24), just in time for our Northern Michigan Blizzard. So, today I snowblow. 

i would like to thank Ebinmaine, Oliver2-44, daveoman 66, and WHX??, for their expertise and pictures. I have used this site a couple of previous times, and I’m always impressed with the willingness to help. A shout out to the nice people at Wheel Horse Parts and More for their help and top quality parts. Took awhile and a few phone calls but thank goodness these parts are available at all.

i didn’t do the work myself so I only have a few pics because everything was put back together. My new parts were: 2 new rear axle seals, new brake lining( yes, glued on), new solid engine mounts, 4 new hydraulic hoses, rebuilt lift cylinder, and rebuilt lift valve.

Thanks again to all who helped. HNY, Jim 

IMG_9054.jpeg

IMG_9053.jpeg

IMG_9052.jpeg

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Jim Leh said:

Thanks again

Excellent!!

Glad to see the beast is back to work!

c-series don

Stick around Jim, this site is filled with some of the nicest people you can meet on the internet. I’m happy you took the time to fix your C-141 Automatic. We’d love to see pictures of the whole setup. The 78-79 C-Series are some of my favorite, hence my name on this site. I have all of them except the C-101 and the C-161 twin 8-Speed. 

IMG_3075.jpeg

IMG_2885.jpeg

IMG_2871.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1