BairleaFarm

Scrap this pig

BairleaFarm

I used to have patience.   Not any more.  Nothing makes me want to scrap a tractor more than a non starting engine.    Especially when it's got fuel, air, spark, and ign module pulses.  

20231113_162728.jpg

• Sad 1

pfrederi

Spent an hour or so on the phone last weekend diagnosing a non startling K241.  Sparkplug tester flashed and the was spark laying on the head.  Checked for fuel flow sprayed carb cleaner in her made sure there was compresson checked points etc... nothing... Guy drove 14 miles got a new plug ...she ran..  Not the first time i have run across a plug (especially Champions) that will spark laying on the head and let the tester flash but will not fire under compression.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’d do plugs too, and check compression / leak down.  We have air, fuel, spark.  Do we have suck, squeeze, bang, blow?

• Like 6

wallfish

Not sure why that means the rest of that 520 is scrape. Sell it to someone that can fix it or swap the engine or use it for parts.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

BairleaFarm
15 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Not sure why that means the rest of that 520 is scrape. Sell it to someone that can fix it or swap the engine or use it for parts.

I would have sworn at the $400 price tag it would have sold.    I think I have plugs 🤔 

1000002315.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??
22 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Not sure why that means the rest of that 520 is scrape. 

Me thinks he is just venting on us 'Fish. Go ahead and vent guy that's what we're here for! :)

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

WHX??
6 minutes ago, BairleaFarm said:

would have sworn at the $400 price tag it would have sold.

Tires are worth that. 

26 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

spark laying on the head and let the tester flash but will not fire under compression

I'll second that. 

BairleaFarm
4 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Me thinks he is just venting on us 'Fish. Go ahead and vent guy that's what we're here for! :)

It is a partial vent but I hate this model of wheel horse so much I'd rather scrap it vrs deal with people trying to buy it.    Also I can't stand non runners laying around.    

No can find a set of plugs.    I may pic some up tomorrow on the way home.   

I do have a little history on this.

It was run through the Wheel Horse Stables.   Repaint and decals from what I can tell.     The guys father bought it from the stables and said he got screwed.    Spark issues as the guys son remembers.   (He's selling his father's estate).     They thought it was the motor and Swapped them from another 520 supposedly.     Now who knows what any of this means.   

• Like 1

pfrederi

I do not know (and do not want to know) anything about Onans  but if there is a Non Champion plug that fits get it!!!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

I’d do plugs too, and check compression / leak down.  We have air, fuel, spark.  Do we have suck, squeeze, bang, blow?

Need-um "Bang" at the right time.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rick3478
1 hour ago, BairleaFarm said:

I would have sworn at the $400 price tag it would have sold.    I think I have plugs 🤔 

I'm not at all clear what you mean by that.  Are/were you trying to sell it?  If so, I didn't see it.  Not my favorite model either, with all the unnecessary gauges that don't work right, but if the price is right I'm pretty sure I could at least make it run.  It's too far for me to drive anyway, unless "scrap it" means "free", but if I didn't understand your posts, maybe others didn't either. :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

BairleaFarm
17 minutes ago, Rick3478 said:

I'm not at all clear what you mean by that.  Are/were you trying to sell it?  If so, I didn't see it.    but if I didn't understand your posts, maybe others didn't either. :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

Yes it's in the classifieds.    I was just asking I'm to the point of I'd rather junk this then has it sitting in the yard.    I've also got it listed on fb which brings a whole slew of stupid people out.   I don't like having non running things in the yard.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

WHX??
22 minutes ago, BairleaFarm said:

I've also got it listed on fb which brings a whole slew of stupid people out.

Got that right... same with CL crazies.

Thing with Onans guy it's a love/hate thing. Ain't nothing like the sound of a tuned P220 gettin on the gov but also nothing like the baldness that happens trying to figure out what's wrong with it. 

Only one other to say about them is either learn their habits or stay away from them. 

In a 520 which I am the most familiar with first thing is go to the nine pin but get back to the basics. Had one come thru once had all the symptoms you describe. Battery hooked up backwards... ain't that right @Achto.

• Excellent 1

WHX??
39 minutes ago, BairleaFarm said:

I don't like having non running things in the yard.    

Nobody does... calm down and eat more bacon...:)

• Haha 6

lynnmor

I too hate engines that need compression, fuel and spark.  What was Onan thinking, no other engine needs all those things, right?

• Haha 3

Achto
14 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Had one come thru once had all the symptoms you describe. Battery hooked up backwards... ain't that right @Achto.

Yep Guy sold it to us for one whole dollar because it would not run. It would turn over just fine but had no spark. Got it home & noticed the the wire on the positive battery post was hooked to the side of the engine block. Turned the battery around, hooked it up correctly and vroom vroom.

57 minutes ago, BairleaFarm said:

I don't like having non running things in the yard. 

Do what you wish, but I suggest, step away, think it through, then reevaluate the issue. Some times things come to you easier when you're not fixated on them.

Many have repowered these tractors with Harbor freight V-Twin engines also, just another thought.  

• Like 2

Pullstart
3 hours ago, BairleaFarm said:

I would have sworn at the $400 price tag it would have sold. 

It does say $600 in the classified ad…. Maybe the $400 tag would make it go.  It’s too far for someone like this guy to be interested..

• Like 2

BairleaFarm
49 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I too hate engines that need compression, fuel and spark.  What was Onan thinking, no other engine needs all those things, right?

As a Cummins dealer i so heartily can say onans are a boat anchors.     All my big deers had them and the best thing I ever did was get rid of them with repowers.    They were good back in the day if owners took care of them but thier time has come and gone.    Old school onan guys swear by them like Chevy 350sbc guys.    Old tech vrs new.  Day to day usage is better with a Hondas and 5.3s lol

The Honda repower in my jd420 would spank the onan in my other 420s butt in everything from fuel consumption to the torque band.   

With that being said I don't like prematurely getting rid of an engine if there's nothing wrong.    This one is about 1000 hours so it's due to through a rod lol

29 minutes ago, Achto said:

Got it home & noticed the the wire on the positive battery post was hooked to the side of the engine block. 

Many have repowered these tractors with Harbor freight V-Twin engines also, just another thought.  

I'll definitely check check the cables.    I don't even want this 520 so it'd not with a repower to me.    

Either way I'll have to double check somethings tomorrow.    Definitely missing something simple 🤔 

Edited by BairleaFarm
Spelling
  • Like 1

kpinnc
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

calm down and eat more bacon...:)

Answer to ALL problems. Might not fix it, but you'll have a smile on yer yap regardless! :P

• Haha 8

8ntruck

@BairleaFarm We will be in Ky. next week in the Bowling Green area.  Will have to see if a day trip to Georgetown will work into our schedule.  I'll PM you with details. 

BairleaFarm
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

@BairleaFarm We will be in Ky. next week in the Bowling Green area.  Will have to see if a day trip to Georgetown will work into our schedule.  I'll PM you with details. 

ive got a guy coming to look at it today but if its still around youre more than welcome to swing by.    Safe travels.

• Like 1

Rick3478
15 hours ago, BairleaFarm said:

Yes it's in the classifieds.    I was just asking I'm to the point of I'd rather junk this then has it sitting in the yard.    I've also got it listed on fb which brings a whole slew of stupid people out.   I don't like having non running things in the yard.    

Understand about FB = stupid.  You might get a better audience on eBay.  It would be over 400 miles for me, so Bidenomics makes it hard even at a good price.  This is the wrong forum for negotiation, so about the original problem - a sheared flywheel key might result in having spark but not at the right time to make it run.

• Like 2

BairleaFarm
1 hour ago, Rick3478 said:

Understand about FB = stupid.  You might get a better audience on eBay.  It would be over 400 miles for me, so Bidenomics makes it hard even at a good price.  This is the wrong forum for negotiation, so about the original problem - a sheared flywheel key might result in having spark but not at the right time to make it run.

I think 2000 or so was the year I got my 1st garden tractor.   By 2005 I had many and was buying and selling.   I used to drive all over the place.  Time's were good back them.

BairleaFarm

Problem solved.    OK back to my off road build 

20231114_170401.jpg

• Like 1

Lagersolut
22 hours ago, BairleaFarm said:

Don't even get me started on the FB market people - I have stories - had 2 bushel of extra potatoes this year - long story short they went to the food bank vs dealing with selling .