Cody wilkins

Engine identification and model

Cody wilkins

Hey guys I bought my first wheel horse over the weekend from the Florida flywheelers antique tractor show. I was hoping y’all could help me determine the model I bought and what engine it has. Does not run currently but I am going to pull carburetor and give it a good cleaning to see if it will start. Shifter fills a little funky kinda loose and gears seam hard to find. Any info will be appreciated. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Jon Paulsen

Sorry no answer Cody, but welcome to the stable. :text-welcomeconfetti:

wallfish

:WRS:

You found a 1960 model 550. Nice Find !!!!!

Engine is a H55 Lauson/ Tecumseh if it's original

The throttle/choke controls and that belt guard are very nice to have with it as they are common to be missing

The engine could be swapped with a Kohler K91 engine and it would be a model 400. The 400 and 550 were the same tractor except for the engines. 550 had the electric start option but it appears the starter is missing.

That's the correct mower deck too. It connects into the rear lift as well for lifting it.

In front of the shifter is a dog point screw that holds the shifter in place and the shifter also pivots on that point. Loosen to remove and inspect the shifter and screw, maybe post some pics if you notice anything funny with it. It could just be something as simple as tightening that screw.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Achto

Nice looking 1960 Suburban 550. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Achto

Streetrodchev

As the others have said, 1960 Suburban 550. 

I have one also

IMG_4112.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Cody wilkins

Thank y’all for the help. Going to try to get it running. I have a mowing deck for it I would like to put back on it.

Cody wilkins
5 hours ago, wallfish said:

You found a 1960 model 550. Nice Find !!!!!

Engine is a H55 Lauson/ Tecumseh if it's original

The throttle/choke controls and that belt guard are very nice to have with it as they are common to be missing

The engine could be swapped with a Kohler K91 engine and it would be a model 400. The 400 and 550 were the same tractor except for the engines. 550 had the electric start option but it appears the starter is missing.

That's the correct mower deck too. It connects into the rear lift as well for lifting it.

In front of the shifter is a dog point screw that holds the shifter in place and the shifter also pivots on that point. Loosen to remove and inspect the shifter and screw, maybe post some pics if you notice anything funny with it. It could just be something as simple as tightening that screw.

I will check it Out tomorrow. Thanks for all the info. The guy I bought it from gave me the original starter just needs to be put back on. Engine has compression and turns over fine so hopefully it will run after a good carb cleaning and a new plug.

gwest_ca

• Like 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Nice original Suburban. 
Just an FYI. There are some diodes and electrical parts that can be fried if your not careful.  Best you read up on them before you put a battery in it. (Rope start is ok). Go to the Manuals Section” and search for Tecumseh H55 and it should bring up some literature about the engine. 

Edited by oliver2-44

oliver2-44

Here's a link to the Manuals Section/Engines/Tecumseh

Note the HH5 and 60 engine are almost identical except one has an oil pump and the other is splash lube.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?q=tecumseh &quick=1&type=downloads_file&nodes=15

Here's some of the literature on the Tecumseh

2077730526_tecumsehh60electricalunderflywheelpartsdiagram..jpg.0f7a67aaf85b453239ff3e2537ae0675.jpg

1421380200_tecumsehh60page.jpg.ecf3c2962298dcf3c99a8472c4d7c39e.jpg

1116146641_tecumsehhh60rectifierwheelhorsinaround337.jpg.113e2fda47579d327b88ab1223758942.jpg

wallfish

An H55 engine can be verified by looking under the PTO side shaft. An H55 will have an indentation (like a sq hole thingy ) into the case, whereas the H60 will have just an entire flat case.

It would be located near/under the belt guard but you may be able to see it without removing the guard. Or post a pic.

Hopefully it has spark. If not, the points are under the flywheel and the contacts should be cleaned first. A real PITA working on those is the need to remove the flywheel each time for cleaning the points, condenser, changing the coil, wiring etc. etc. etc.