carlosking450

tractor lift

carlosking450

Hello everyone, I would like to make a lift for the Wheel Horse so I can work more comfortably, has anyone made one to give me ideas?  thank you

Pullstart

I have used my fork truck to lift the tractors into a work bench.  It works awesome!  Other people have used scissor lifts, hospital bed frames, and other re-use recycle lifts.

50ADC91F-F284-4CCE-9FF7-04B1327A6821.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

I built a wood stand (glued, screwed, and braced) and have been using ramps to get the tractor up/down. I let the tractor drive itself if it’s a runner and use the come-along if it isn’t.

My half-ton lift table (HF or TSC type) fits under the table frame so I can then lift the stand with the tractor on it to reposition them together against the wall of the garage to make room for my car.

image.png.993cd3df1d2841f413c137f3b0fc79af.png

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 4

squonk

I bought this table a couple of months ago for 35 bucks.About 42" x 72"  Guy was using it to work on tractors. It's fiberglass 1/4" to 1/2" thick with reinforcing ribs running lengthwise. The original 4 x 4 legs were crooked and only lagged on so I made new ones and have 4 bolts holding each one on. This is heavy. To move it I got 2 Ridgid 8" pneumatic casters from Horror Fright. I can bolt them on one end. You can see the holes for the casters on the end.  Also made a hitch thingy with a trailer coupler from HF to bolt on the other end. Flip it over and I can move it with a horse like a trailer. Some crummy ramps came with it but I have better ones. I can also bolt on a winch on the end the tires go on. Haven't used it yet.IMG_20231005_135233903.jpg.16badb84a2b6eb1bc8e5b73da29c477d.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

c-series don

I bought mine from Harbor freight, it’s a motorcycle lift. I made a new, wider top for it out of 2 sheets of 3/4” plywood. I waited until it went on sale and I think it was around $600 bucks. The only thing I can say is that I should have bought it years ago! It really makes working on tractors and other things a joy! I have a bad back, so standing up and not bending over to work on things is much better. Yes it does take up space in my garage, but most of the time I leave a tractor parked on top of it so it’s not taking up much more space than just the tractor itself. 

IMG_5507.jpeg

IMG_5513.jpeg

IMG_5510.jpeg

IMG_6097.jpeg

IMG_6101.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

wallfish

Search motorcycle lift on the net and look at the images. There is a lot of ideas to build one from if you can't find one to buy

squonk

I had one of those HF lifts. Lasted 1 lift and that was it. 

lynnmor
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I had one of those HF lifts. Lasted 1 lift and that was it. 

I had one of those HF lifts that pick up the front wheels, the hydraulic cylinder mount bent and broke.  They are not up to lifting a WH so I welded it up and sold it to a neighbor for his disposable JD.

Handy Don
On 11/12/2023 at 6:27 PM, squonk said:

I bought this table a couple of months ago for 35 bucks.About 42" x 72"  Guy was using it to work on tractors. It's fiberglass 1/4" to 1/2" thick with reinforcing ribs running lengthwise. The original 4 x 4 legs were crooked and only lagged on so I made new ones and have 4 bolts holding each one on. This is heavy. To move it I got 2 Ridgid 8" pneumatic casters from Horror Fright. I can bolt them on one end. You can see the holes for the casters on the end.  Also made a hitch thingy with a trailer coupler from HF to bolt on the other end. Flip it over and I can move it with a horse like a trailer. Some crummy ramps came with it but I have better ones. I can also bolt on a winch on the end the tires go on. Haven't used it yet.IMG_20231005_135233903.jpg.16badb84a2b6eb1bc8e5b73da29c477d.jpg

I'd be nervous about having the legs bolted only in the corners to the fiberglass flange. A sideways force on the table with a 600 lb. tractor on it could cause the leg to buckle and break out and the table to tilt and fall. Please consider adding two diagonal braces to each leg attached 6 or so inches down the leg and along the table flange.

Edited by Handy Don

kpinnc

Mine is built so I can start or end with a bare frame, but able to drive a complete machine on or off. Plus I can move it around or even tow with a tractor.

The center carrier locks the crossbar on the frame that the pedals ride, and the bottom on the tranny plate. Most of my tractors have the same measurement between these two points. Once locked in, the tractor can't fall off. 

A trailer jack lifts the carrier about 30 inches and is also locked in place when full up so no single failure can drop it. All the pivots are 3/4 grade 8 bolts. 

I built it 20+ years ago, and periodically make upgrades. It's never dropped or flipped with a machine and is unquestionably one of the best "toys" I've put together. If I could make a change it would be to use some aluminum in places where I could save weight without sacrificing strength. It weighs as much as a tractor by itself, and can be tough to move over rough ground while loaded without a tractor pulling or pushing it. 

One thing still left to do is add rollers in the middle for crossing high spots. They will be 1/2 inch off the floor on level ground, and only touch when preventing a high joint skid.

IMG_20210531_004154559.jpg

IMG_20211010_154106411.jpg

IMG_20210803_222036739.jpg

IMG_20211010_131744269.jpg

IMG_20211003_004718921.jpg

IMG_20211010_131759131.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 4