JoeM

Nice Carb

JoeM

A few years back someone gave me a newer TWH mower with a bad transmission. Removed a bunch of parts and the engine ran good and saved whole. I crimped the gas hose and ran it dry.....I thought. It had a newer carb with an anti back fire solenoid valve. Must have shut it off to soon. Turns out the bowl stayed full of gas. You know the good stuff with ethanol.

The end result. I was able to save it with a good cleaning. 

image.png.818de874ee3e360e1abad11c87043eca.png

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 5

ebinmaine

Yeeeeesh.  

I've seen a couple that were about that "nice". 

Good save.  

• Like 2

Tuneup

It's that new government mandated granular gasoline. Runs great!  Yes, nice save. Pays nowadays to retain whatever original parts that you can.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

That looks more like water damage, how was this stored?  What does the fuel tank look like?

• Like 1

JoeM
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

how was this stored

I know, stored inside. and the tank was good. 

I am thinking the gas drew moisture. 

one note was the bowl is steel and you can see all the rust came from pitting on it.

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 1

OoPEZoO

The worst I've dealt with was from an old 1985 Honda CB125 I have that had been kicked around the family for a few decades.  At one point, my brother in-law had it and parked it without shutting off the gas, and it must have sat like that for a few years.  It proceeded to evaporate the fuel in the carb, trickle more from the tank, and repeat until the entire fuel tank had evaporated.  Its amazing what a few runs through an ultrasonic cleaner will do.  Got it all cleaned up, back together and its been running great ever since.  I wish I had a picture of the bowl side, but here is the main jet and float from it

IMG_0023.jpeg.470e7e9f056cf97015d25685cf53cad3.jpeg   

• Like 2

23 Reo

For storage of tractors and motorcycles I drop the bowl. Sometimes I give the carburetor a good cleaning. I always have time in  the winter. In the spring I want my machines to fire and roll.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
34 minutes ago, 23 Reo said:

. In the spring I want my machines to fire and roll.

You use logic and good planning.  ????

Now that's just lunacy.  

😂

• Haha 3

JoeM
11 hours ago, 23 Reo said:

I drop the bowl

I remember working on a carb, I think it may have been on a Honda engine, that had a built in drain plug.

Forward thinking.

• Like 3

lynnmor
13 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I remember working on a carb, I think it may have been on a Honda engine, that had a built in drain plug.

Forward thinking.

Many outboard motors had a button on the bowl that released the gasoline for the past century.  Of course the main purpose was to allow the engine to be carried horizontally.

• Like 3

pfrederi
7 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Many outboard motors had a button on the bowl that released the gasoline for the past century.  Of course the main purpose was to allow the engine to be carried horizontally.

So did many Tecumseh carbs

• Like 4

peter lena

@JoeM  been regularly using STA BIL , fuel treatment in all my stuff for years , zero debris / crud , marbles , etc. add it to every drop of fuel used , all of my fuel tanks are , clean / clear , 2 fuel filters , fuel bowls are clean / clear . found if you have a fuel related issue , its probably based on , fuel hose break down , from tank to carb. as a base line on mine , replaced all lines with a clean / clear fuel rated hose , new tank valve , and regularly using Stabil to every tank top off , with ethanol gas , have zero fuel issues . nothing , but instant starts , solid running . heard all the ethanol horror stories , my change over / conversion , has been trouble free. add about a 1 1/2 Oz Stabil to every tank top off . am I doing something wrong ? if this combo was not working , I would find out why , no debris in carb , all related linkages work with ease .like to make a problem go away , continuing  failure is the best opportunity to find the fail point , Pete     

• Like 1