WHX??

Craftsman Tool Warranty

WHX??

Anyone know if the "lifetime" warranty is still honored? Reading all kinds of things about Lowes, Ace , Black & Decker & hassles. 

Thinking it best to just round file it and move on. 

20231109_165848.jpg

ebinmaine

I took a junk ratchet to Lowe's and they didn't bat an eye. Just gave me another one as close to the model I had as possible.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Our local Ace Hardware and Lowe's both will only replace Craftsman tools you bought from them. 

• Sad 4

Achto
29 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Anyone know if the "lifetime" warranty is still honored?

Take it to Kitz & Pfeil, worst they can say is no. Course then I would try Ace in Ripon or Wautoma. If you get 3 no's, then pitch it.:twocents-twocents:

• Thanks 1

John2189

Have you tried to look for a rebuild kit?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
36 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I took a junk ratchet to Lowe's and they didn't bat an eye. Just gave me another one as close to the model I had as possible.   

I have done this numerous times with garage sale junk Craftsman buys... no questions asked at Lowe's. Last time i took two 3/8 socket wrenches in  about 3 months ago and they didn't have the same handle size in stock so they gave me longer handle more expensive ones... no issues.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
38 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Our local Ace Hardware and Lowe's both will only replace Craftsman tools you bought from them. 

That's just not right... :snooty:

• Sad 1

WHX??
46 minutes ago, John2189 said:

Have you tried to look for a rebuild kit?

No but not a go to wrench but still a classic.  

From what I read luck of the draw at any given store. 

1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Ĥeard that too Richard and only if you have the receipt... yah right. 

I'll just throw it in the truck and if get places ask. Worse they can tell me is pack sand right? 

• Like 1

953 nut
5 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

only if you have the receipt.

That is where using the store "Loyalty Card" is a good thing. When a friend was putting up grab bars for me after I got home from the hospital we went through three diamond tipped tile bits drilling through the porcelain tile. Just brought back the burned out bit and the card and they replaced it no questions asked, my wife got to know the lady at the customer service counter that day.     :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Pullstart

Our local ACE store told us they have no contract with Craftsman any longer.  If you break a ratchet that came from a 224 piece set, you have to bring the entire set WITH receipt back for exchange.  No more handing in a junker for a shiny worker.  I have a pile of tools that have needed to go back for a long time.  Anytime we are near Lowes I don’t have my pile.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

lynnmor
22 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Our local ACE store told us they have no contract with Craftsman any longer.  If you break a ratchet that came from a 224 piece set, you have to bring the entire set WITH receipt back for exchange.  No more handing in a junker for a shiny worker.  I have a pile of tools that have needed to go back for a long time.  Anytime we are near Lowes I don’t have my pile.  

I had the same experience with the junk tool set I bought from ACE, they just scribbled down a phone number to call.  Here is the place to start when you need a tool replaced.

Handy Don

Haven’t tried socket tools (mine are still fine). At Lowes, individual screwdriver exchange was no questions BUT they had to have the replacement in stock. No problem for the larger screwdrivers, but they now bundle the smaller ones into 2- and 3-packs. In that case, scope in advance and bring both or all three!

squonk

I remember dealing with the Snap -On and Mac tool dealers. First Snappy guy I had was great. I smashed a test light to bits closing a square body hood on it and he said just give me the pieces. Broke my 3/8" impact on a Saturday and he said come to the house. He tore a new impact apart and gave me the parts. Other guys would whine all the time. Then there was the Snappy guy  who kept tearing off the AC unit on his truck on tree limbs and good old independent Rog Richmond who drove an old bread truck and the inside looked like it was involved in a roll over but he knew where everything was! 

Edited by squonk
  • Haha 1

charging10

Our local Ace Hardware, replaced a locking socket extension last year no problem, but the ratchet ,if is old I would try the rebuild kit, Ive fixed a few of the early paw only type from 1960s with success.

JoeM

I will say one thing about Harbo Freight, I have taken a couple things back and they hand me a new one. 

It is tough to find good customer service these days. I figure mostly because of the dollars and cents. 

• Like 2

WHX??

Where does one get these rebuild kits I have never seen them. 

John2189

What is the ratchet number?

I just put craftsman ratchet xxx rebuild kit in the search on ebay

• Thanks 1

Racinbob

Years ago (many) my Dad often used a brace to drill holes. He had a Craftsman and several times the head would come off. He would just take it back to a Sears store and they replaced it. The last time it came off he was working on a bridge over the St. Joe river. The head fell into the river never to be seen again. He took the handle back to Sears and they said he had to have both pieces. He hung that handle on the wall saying that was to remind him never to buy Sears again. I don't think he stuck to that. 

1 hour ago, John2189 said:

What is the ratchet number?

I just put craftsman ratchet xxx rebuild kit in the search on ebay

I never knew that! COOL!

• Like 1

Andy N.
5 hours ago, JoeM said:

I will say one thing about Harbo Freight, I have taken a couple things back and they hand me a new one. 

And their quality is getting better too. Especially with the Icon brand. I can't tell the difference between the Icon ratcheting wrenches and the Blue Point (Snap On) I bought 20+ years ago. And there are HF stores all around me and neither care which store I bought it at. 

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
7 hours ago, JoeM said:

I will say one thing about Harbor Freight, I have taken a couple things back and they hand me a new one. 

It is tough to find good customer service these days. I figure mostly because of the dollars and cents. 

2 hours ago, Andy N. said:

And their quality is getting better too. Especially with the Icon brand. I can't tell the difference between the Icon ratcheting wrenches and the Blue Point (Snap On) I bought 20+ years ago. And there are HF stores all around me and neither care which store I bought it at. 

I agree.

• Like 1

Lee1977

I had a swivel air hose 18" long from HF it blew apart at 135 PSI. I tried to get my money back but they would only replace it.  

I told them to keep it, I didn't want to get hurt.

WHX??

135 seems a little high. My regulator is always set at 90 lbs and that small town in Wisconsin...OSHA... says blow guns are to be set at 30. 

• Like 1

CasualObserver

@WHX?? I second the Lowe's attempt. I had a no hassle exchange with a 1/2" ratchet. Bought it broken at a flea market for $3. Exchanged at Lowes for brand new one. Gotta love places that truly honor a lifetime warranty.

• Like 2

Wayne0

I split a 50 year old 9/16 Craftsman 1/2 in drive socket and tried to get it replaced. (Lowe's) They wanted to give me a cheezy Chineesium piece of crap. I told them to keep it, and I'd buy a real USA made socket.

• Sad 1