JPWH

Lead tombstone weight

JPWH

Has anyone tried to cast a tombstone weight with lead?

Would it be too heavy?

What would be the pros and cons?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Fumes /health concerns?

Maybe using shot and filling one of @Wheel Horse 3D's printed weights?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I’d imagine it being soft… easy to damage.  It’s common for racers to cast their own lead weights.  The ones around here seemed to shrink when cooling, so they kind of look caved in on the flats and sharp in the corners.

• Like 2

ri702bill

Too bad no one makes blow molded plastic shells like the wheel weights. Fill 'em up with ce-ment....:dunno:

• Like 2

CCW

Years ago I cast my own scuba diving weights.  In those days I was always looking at the edge of the road as I biked by and picked up the wheel balance weights that fell off of cars.  I did this process on the kitchen stove using an aluminum pot.  Today I would do it outside with a fan plowing the fumes away from me.  If you do attempt this be sure not to stand over the molten metal and let any sweat drip in it.  A dangerous explosion of molten lead would result.

• Like 5

ri702bill

And that is why both steel and sand molds are preheated to drive out moisture prior to casting.......

• Like 4

Handy Don
2 hours ago, JPWH said:

Has anyone tried to cast a tombstone weight with lead?

Would it be too heavy?

What would be the pros and cons?

2 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

@Wheel Horse 3D and I just had an offline discuss that covered this. We concluded that filling one of his correctly-scaled printed tombstones would contain ~40 lbs of lead shot. We also think that there would have to be some internal reinforcement added to the all-plastic “handle” at the base. This would be insurance for the tractor driving over rough ground and shaking things!

• Like 4

Wheel Horse 3D
3 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Fumes /health concerns?

Could also do stacked lead plates? Cubes?

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

@Wheel Horse 3D and I just had an offline discuss that covered this. We concluded that filling one of his correctly-scaled printed tombstones would contain ~40 lbs of lead shot. We also think that there would have to be some internal reinforcement added to the all-plastic “handle” at the base. This would be insurance for the tractor driving over rough ground and shaking things!

The hole in the base for mounting to the bracket might be ok, its surrounded by thicker layers all around. My concern would be picking one up by the plastic handle at the top with it weighing 40-50 lbs. Might be ok might not, will have to do some testing with a heavy density one and see!

• Like 2

JPWH

Interesting thoughts so far. I can pour it safely and I think I have the shrinkage figured out. The weight will weigh about 75 lb +/- . I think the base may pose a problem under rough use due to the soft lead. Maybe a steel base for the lead to rest in would help. 

I'm trying to address issues such as mentioned before I make the first one.

@Wheel Horse 3D made a nice pattern for me to make a mold.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
38 minutes ago, JPWH said:

Maybe a steel base for the lead to rest in would help. 

I'm trying to address issues such as mentioned before I make the first one.

Guess you could weld an attachment base and cast it into the lead when it is cast.                 Needless to say   :wwp:

• Like 2