Maz91

1971 Raider 12 Project

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, Maz91 said:

Would I want to attach the solid link to the top hole in the photo

When you find the pics of the solid link you might find the directions for the plow connection.  

We attach ours to the outer hole but from what I understand that's an optional connection. 

Middle hole is also viable.  

I set ours up so the plow has maximum lift at the front. Extra clearance for driving around.  

You can also lower the rear bracket with spacers thereby raising the front.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, Maz91 said:

Is the lift handle supposed to lock in the forward position to hold the down pressure though? Mine does not. It locks in the rear position, but not the forward position it would be in when the plow is down. 

Yours is set up right.  

Locked UP is good. 

Locked DOWN not so much.  

You want the plow blade to be able to "float". 

• Like 1

Maz91

Okay thank you Don and Eric. I was able to find some info about the link and the horizontal lift arm. It looks like the early 70’s tractors ONLY had the option of the solid link which seems to explain why I don’t have that horizontal arm or chain.

in case anyone comes across this in the near future on a quest for the solid link dimensions:

1/4”x1-1/4” flat stock. Overall length is 12 1/2” and the holes are 11 1/2 c/c. It uses 3/8” pins. 

I’ll have to figure out how to mount a modern mower deck without the arm, or maybe I still need to add it. But this should get me through the winter. As always I really appreciate you guys’ help and knowledge !!

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Maz91 said:

figure out how to mount a modern mower deck without the arm, or maybe I still need to add it.

Probably should keep that arm handy. 

• Like 2

Handy Don
3 hours ago, Maz91 said:

Is the lift handle supposed to lock in the forward position to hold the down pressure though? Mine does not. It locks in the rear position, but not the forward position it would be in when the plow is down. 

Your setup is correct. Implements stay down under gravity. They need a lock to stay up!

There should be a knob that lets you adjust how far down the plow (or other implement) will lower. 

• Like 2

Maz91
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Probably should keep that arm handy. 

Unfortunately after a second look today, the raider doesn’t have a set of holes to mount it like the work horse has. Maybe I should still pull it and keep it around in case it can be added somehow. 

• Like 1

Maz91
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Your setup is correct. Implements stay down under gravity. They need a lock to stay up!

There should be a knob that lets you adjust how far down the plow (or other implement) will lower. 

That makes a lot of sense! i actually just got that knob freed up yesterday, so good to go there. Hopefully I can find the sweet spot to really scrape the snow but not dig up my (dirt) driveway. 

getting ahead of myself a bit with the mower deck, but any idea how It’s mounted when my raider does not have the long horizontal lift arm that hangs from the chain?

I’m guessing maybe hang a chain from the lift point that I pictured earlier straight to the deck? Not sure. Gonna try to do some research on that tonight. 

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Maz91 said:

Hopefully I can find the sweet spot to really scrape the snow but not dig up my (dirt) driveway

There's a few ways to reduce that diggemmup. 

The knob for height adjustment as stated.  

Get shoes for the plow. (think ATV)

Watch a few videos of Trina and I moving snow. Note that we have the plow tilted forward more than most. This creates less digging tendencies and also helps roll the snow off to the sides.   

• Like 2

Maz91

It’s alive!!! Had a bad ignition switch and finally got a chance to put it in. Is the high pitched noise bad? I feel like I’ve seen videos of other wheel horses that sound the same but not sure. 

this is so satisfying after first making eye contact with this tractor a year and a half ago and getting it back after the previous owners of my house gave it away. 

Hoping for a couple good snow storms before winters over! Thanks to everyone for their input along the way! Next thing to do is get the lights working. I’m using these parts I got from Napa. 

B2EA996D-50B2-4D88-9E8C-D5F7C53E65B1.jpeg

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine

AWESOME! 

I didn't hear anything abnormal. The whining is the hydraulic system passing fluid through the various orifices.  

• Like 1

Maz91
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

AWESOME! 

I didn't hear anything abnormal. The whining is the hydraulic system passing fluid through the various orifices.  

Glad to hear that! In that case I’ll have to use the crap out of it until I can do a little restoration project 😎

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, Maz91 said:

I can do a little restoration project 😎

A little inspiration for ya. 

20240218_155725.jpg.4f22eca5ae182fb30505f9981fead8d7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Zeek

That's a good solid tractor! If you want some ideas or need to know where the get some non-factory parts, both @Anglo Traction and restored a Raider 12.

Anglo's link: https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/61211-1972-raider-12/

Here's a shot of the Raider 12 I did: Raider  

I have to repost the original pictures during the restoration because we used to use Photobucket which has since took a dump. I don't want to hijack your post with my pics :D so my album for that one it here https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/gallery/album/857-zeeks-raider-12/

• Thanks 1

Lee1977
On 11/10/2023 at 12:24 PM, Lee1977 said:

My 1971 Raider 12 already had the center hole for the mid hitch. I didn't used the flat steel each side for the front hitch. I drilled the formed axle bracket for the front hitch and use a 5/8" spacer. Wasn't any fun drilling those holes that axle bracket is hard. 

SAM-1711-2.jpg

• Like 5

Maz91
5 hours ago, Zeek said:

That's a good solid tractor! If you want some ideas or need to know where the get some non-factory parts, both @Anglo Traction and restored a Raider 12.

Anglo's link: https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/61211-1972-raider-12/

Here's a shot of the Raider 12 I did: Raider  

I have to repost the original pictures during the restoration because we used to use Photobucket which has since took a dump. I don't want to hijack your post with my pics :D so my album for that one it here https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/gallery/album/857-zeeks-raider-12/

Excellent work in both cases and really inspiring examples to look at. I bet those tractors are gonna be around for another 50 years 

• Like 3

Maz91
27 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

SAM-1711-2.jpg

Phew.. luckily mine already had the front hitch mounted but I’m curious about the holes when I swap over the middle hitch from the work horse. 

question on your mower deck - how did you go about the lift linkage? Looks like the 71 raider does not have the lift arm that the deck normally attaches to. I was searching around and couldn’t really find a good way to attach it

• Like 1

Lee1977
33 minutes ago, Maz91 said:

Phew.. luckily mine already had the front hitch mounted but I’m curious about the holes when I swap over the middle hitch from the work horse. 

question on your mower deck - how did you go about the lift linkage? Looks like the 71 raider does not have the lift arm that the deck normally attaches to. I was searching around and couldn’t really find a good way to attach it

II just attached lift to the deck lift point using a latered model lift chain.. I have 19 x 7 x 8 tires on front had to pull the deck back, they hitting the deck when I turned sharp. Once pulled back it stayed back. My mid hitch bolted right up all three holes were there. 

The old 12 Kohler is a little low on power, didn't like that 42" deck, still runs good and doesn't smoke. But then mowing I use a 1989 520-H and my C-120/180 with a 18 HP Briggs Vanguard so it's not quite what I'm use to. 

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Maz91 said:

Does your "parts" Workhorse have the linkage and rod? 

I'm thinking the Raider frame might already have the holes you need, both mid and rear. 

• Like 1

JCM
12 hours ago, Zeek said:

WOW to both of those unbelievable restorations and attention to detail. Thank you for those links @Zeek  PS ,I have admired your work from many years ago.  :thumbs:,

• Like 3

Lee1977
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm thinking the Raider frame might already have the holes you need, both mid and rear. 

There are no holes for the lift deck lift rod on a Raider.

• Like 2

Maz91
12 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

II just attached lift to the deck lift point using a latered model lift chain.. I have 19 x 7 x 8 tires on front had to pull the deck back, they hitting the deck when I turned sharp. Once pulled back it stayed back. My mid hitch bolted right up all three holes were there. 

The old 12 Kohler is a little low on power, didn't like that 42" deck, still runs good and doesn't smoke. But then mowing I use a 1989 520-H and my C-120/180 with a 18 HP Briggs Vanguard so it's not quite what I'm use to. 

I appreciate the info. I snagged the chain off my parts work horse to mount the plow and hopefully it’ll work for the deck as well. I wound up with a really nice deck so I’m hoping to buzz the lawn occasionally with this thing. Otherwise I have an 80’s simplicity I wanted to fix up for my primary mower. The plastic John Deere junk doesn’t impress me haha. 

6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Good thinking.. I checked that right after I got it and unfortunately for me, Lee is correct! 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Maz91 said:

I appreciate the info. I snagged the chain off my parts work horse to mount the plow and hopefully it’ll work for the deck as well. I wound up with a really nice deck so I’m hoping to buzz the lawn occasionally with this thing. Otherwise I have an 80’s simplicity I wanted to fix up for my primary mower. The plastic John Deere junk doesn’t impress me haha. 

Good thinking.. I checked that right after I got it and unfortunately for me, Lee is correct! 

I guess you need another Wheel Horse to fix up then.....

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maz91
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I guess you need another Wheel Horse to fix up then.....

:lol:

Well, if you’re gonna twist my arm like that… :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JCM

@Maz91  You mentioned older cars and guitars on your Nov 5, 23 post. When you take a break from your Raider sometime check out In General Talk under Non- Tractor Related 2 topics. Muscle Cars & Hot Rods  June 26. 2020 and Musical Instruments May 7, 2022. If you have anything to add to it please do.   Good luck with your project.

• Excellent 2

Maz91
22 hours ago, JCM said:

@Maz91  You mentioned older cars and guitars on your Nov 5, 23 post. When you take a break from your Raider sometime check out In General Talk under Non- Tractor Related 2 topics. Muscle Cars & Hot Rods  June 26. 2020 and Musical Instruments May 7, 2022. If you have anything to add to it please do.   Good luck with your project.

That sounds good, Ill definitely dive in and see what’s up over there. It’s funny because every time I see your username JCM I think Marshall amps! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1