TonyBer

C-160 Hydro Transmission Question

TonyBer

This is my first year with this snow thrower on this C-160.  Today I was backing in the garage....back wheels up and over 1.75 inch lip and I happened to stop as the front wheels came into contact with the garage floor lip.  From a dead stop, the transmission wouldn't pull the front wheels up and over the lip.  Never had an issue with the transmission slipping or leaking and with the mower deck the machine works great.  Obviously, with a little momentum (pulled forward and then back without stopping)...right up and over.  Would anyone be concerned with the transmission slipping or is it unreasonable with weight of the thrower to pull the front wheels up and over garage floor lip from a dead stop and resting against the lip (about 1.75")?  Is there any transmission adjustment?  Thanks!!! 

IMG_5531.jpeg

squonk

You have a transmission that's 50+ yrs. old. The snow blower is quite heavy. I would bet my well worn C-160 transmission would do the same thing. My tractor loses speed up a small incline when it gets hot. I changed my transmission oil from 10w-30 to 10W-40 Mobil 1. Made a big difference. 

• Like 4

JoeM

remember the hydro only strokes about 2/3 rds in reverse. 

• Like 1

TonyBer
56 minutes ago, squonk said:

You have a transmission that's 50+ yrs. old. The snow blower is quite heavy. I would bet my well worn C-160 transmission would do the same thing. My tractor loses speed up a small incline when it gets hot. I changed my transmission oil from 10w-30 to 10W-40 Mobil 1. Made a big difference. 

I’m easy on equipment and understand your point well.  I’m going to switch transmission fluid to Mobil 1.  Thnx for tip.

Handy Don
35 minutes ago, JoeM said:

remember the hydro only strokes about 2/3 rds in reverse. 

I’m not sure how the Sunstrands work internally, or how their linkages are set up.

The Eaton 1100 gives nearly full torque even at the “slowest” speed.The motion control linkage geometry makes reverse a little less sensitive and not have the full range compared to forward. (Note that the pump/motor itself is symmetric with equal speed/power in both directions!)

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

Sailman
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Have a C-120 that I used to push gravel with the blade. Got really sluggish when it got hot. Took the advice from others here and switched to 10w40. Used it again to grade and level a lawn project as well as pushed some snow one winter. No more sluggish in the C-120.

• Like 2

JoeM
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

The Eaton 1100 gives nearly full torque even at the “slowest” speed

Yes, but that is somewhat misleading. 

think about this, the manual says tie it to a tree to test the hydro. by setting the engine rpm to half and moving the control valve fully forward. The rear wheels should break loose and spin. If that is all that is needed to achieve max torque there would be no need to increase the lever toward the full stroke position. The wheels would spin at just the slightest control movement. 

By increasing the stroke we apply torque. That is why the engine governors grunt when we stroke the control lever. Remember hydro is a conduit to take the power from the engine to the rear wheels.

In reverse we limit the stroke to control the speed. And subsequently limit the torque. :twocents-twocents:

that and 2 bucks might get you cup of coffee. 

image.png.f5152de9d3bc83e0ccaef7ade208a868.png

• Like 1