JoeM

Happy Daylight Savings Time

Andy N.
4 hours ago, wh500special said:

Until 2006 Indiana didn’t observe daylight savings time. They (mostly) stayed on Eastern Standard Time all year.  When it was changed in 2006 there was some genuine bitterness at the governor of the time for “taking away” an hour of the day.  It was entertaining, but somewhat frustrating that it was so hard to explain to people that the days still had 24 hours. 

The reason for the change was exactly what you pointed out…it was difficult for business since people didn’t know that the heck time it was in Indiana.

Not all of Indiana is on the same time zone, however.  There are a handful of counties in the northwest and southwest corners that follow central time to stay with  neighboring Illinois and Kentucky population centers.  It adds some fun and confusion at times. 

Steve

20+ years ago now for about 1 year, I lived in northern IN east of South Bend and worked in Kalamazoo, MI. I lived about 1 hour driving time from my work. For 1/2 the year I had to leave 2 hours early by the clock to get to work on time, but it only took me 0 minutes by the clock to get home. I worked 3 days/week 12 hour shifts so for those 3 days, I just stayed on MI time. Made it much easier.

I now live in the suburbs of Chicago and my mom and siblings still live in IN. They still ask me sometimes if I'm 1 hour behind or the same time as them. 

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Visited Ghana many years ago... up with the sun and down with the sun... didn't use a watch... No batteries, no changes... no government interference... like clockwork you might say... Just sayin'... 

:eusa-think:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

wallfish
14 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I guess the schools couldn't set the best hours for them and leave the rest of us alone?

Just so you know, we're on regular time now with early light hours in the morning during winter. Daylight savings time starts in the spring. It's light in the morning during spring and summer anyway.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

• Excellent 2

Handy Don
19 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Visited Ghana many years ago... up with the sun and down with the sun... didn't use a watch... No batteries, no changes... no government interference... like clockwork you might say... Just sayin'... 

Amazing how straightforward it can be!

Visiting Ecuador, I was reminded that their daylight and darkness are each pretty much 12 hours long all year round! Temps don’t vary much through the year either.

• Like 3