Sign in to follow this  
acedog

Gear weight in tranny

acedog

I have a 2004 315-8 GT in great shape but latley I'am having trouble shifting in and out of 2nd and 3rd gear, especialy 2nd gear. I talked to the dealer about adjusting the cluch ( never been done ) and changing the tranny oil. It calles for 90w and I've been putting 80w-140w in for a few years. So he said change the fluid and replace it with 80w-90w and try adjusting the cluch.Does anyone think this may solve the problem?

sawhorse

Try this before you do anything expensive. In order to shift gears on these machines,

you need to have the gears meshing. They are not "syncro-meshed" like modern motor

vehicles. In order to shift gears on a wheel horse, shift your weight front to back, rocking the machine as you gently select a gear. In other words, you need to move the machine slightly sometimes in order for the gear to be available. Hope this helps.

wfopete

Yes adjust the clutch first but... I would (just for kicks if you want to replace the oil) try replacing it with ATF :thumbs2: . I know, I know that ATF is a long way off from Gear oil but the stuff has proven itself in a lot of standard trannies. I run it in all my 2 stroke dirt bikes, yes I know those are not tractors but ATF can sometimes do wonders where thicker gear oil leaves you stuck. Besides, it's cheap and can be found everywhere.

Do one change at a time. first adjust then change oil.

acedog

Thank you, I'll try this .

acedog

Hay Sawhorse,I tryed the rocking thing and to my surprise it works. I am still in the process of flushing out the 80w-140w and replacing it with lucus 85w90w. And then I will adjust the cluch this weekend, I'll let you know how it works.

sawhorse

My 310-8 has the same problem. A clutch adjustment would probably help me. I am

used to rocking my weight on the tractor to engage gears. My belt and clutch pulley

are just about smoked too.

Dafixer

I have an 2007 GT and it acted the same way. I found that the spring beneath the cover plate that holds the shifter in the gear position was too tight. A little bit of "adjustment" and it was fine. Look at the shifter rod and if it has any signs of wear where the spring rides on it...give it a little tweek... :thumbs2:

acedog

Thanks for the info DAFIXER, I am glad to see some one else has this problem also ( not to wish any problems for you ). So I'am off sunday and I will be adjusting the cluch and I'll let you know. Although I did flush the heaver gear oil out and replaced it with 80w90w ( which it calls for ) and it seems like it helped it. LATER: