Sign in to follow this  
pfrederi

Toyota Tacoma Gear shift issue

pfrederi

I have a  2016 Tacoma (3rd Generation)  bought new has about 45000 mile.  Last winter had some issues with the automatic tranny selector getting hard to operate.  Then It wouldn't light up the D light on the console and other weird stuff hanppened like cruise control wouldn't work and Check engine light came on.  Then it sort of cured it self.  Had my mechanic look underneath but he didn't see anything, said it might be the Park Neutral switch ..but that was dealer thing.. Did it again on a rainy day this week so back to Toyota dealer.

$772.23 later I get i back with a new Park Neutral switch.  (Their labor rate is 195.99 /hr) and $223.08 for the switch.  Ouch! Should have done this myself!!

So I looked at the gospel  (Youtube)  Only found one video.  The creator said he now knows why his is the only video.  took him over 10 hours (and more 4 letter words than even I use) intimated that while he does a lot of work on his truck this would be a go to the dealer thing.  The switch body is plastic and aluminum/pot metal casting riding on a steel shaft..galvanic action....poor engineering.

I had to bite my tongue at the dealer.  The next customer over was having some work done and the service tech talked him into an engine and passenger department filter change ...almost $150.00 for the two.  A few years ago they tried to sell me the same thing for 129.00.  Auto parts store 2 filters +/- $30 about 15 minutes of my labor.

Warning major cursing and swearing

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

Maybe the video would explain, but is the switch what made it physically challenging to select the gear as well?

*edit* the first few minutes of the video show how it works, it slides over the gear shift rod on the transmission.  Yep, if it was binding or corroding, it would be challenging to shift!

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 1

squonk

As a former dealer mechanic, I am amazed at how all of the modern vehicle components are now intertwined with each other. This talks to that which talks to that on this network which is a high speed network. And this module here is on a low speed network on bus A and this switch resides on Bus B. I cut my teeth when computers just started being used in cars and got out when LAN and LON talk busses first started showing up. It's crazy. I watch a lot of this guys video's. Uses an oscilloscope on many of his diagnosis.

https://www.youtube.com/@SouthMainAuto

• Like 1