Chris1986

Don't want to shift.

Chris1986

I have a 1994 264-6 wheel horse and while it's running and in movement it doesn't want to shift out of gear. Forward or reverse gears. It's like it's binding up inside of transaxle.The transaxle is a 6 speed peerless. The transaxle bolts are secure. The belt is new and when the clutch pedal pushed in the belt is fully disengaged. But when I shut the engine off it goes through all gears with no problem.

WHX??

Not familiar with this tractor or transmission but I don't think you should be changing gears while the tractor is moving. 

• Like 3

CCW

I know my 87 312-8 has to be motionless to change gears.  No synchromesh on these babies.

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Chris1986 said:

I have a 1994 264-6 wheel horse and while it's running and in movement it doesn't want to shift out of gear. Forward or reverse gears. It's like it's binding up inside of transaxle.The transaxle is a 6 speed peerless. The transaxle bolts are secure. The belt is new and when the clutch pedal pushed in the belt is fully disengaged. But when I shut the engine off it goes through all gears with no problem.

The gears in the Peerless are always meshed. Shifting moves a key that locks the chosen driven gear to the output shaft. Absolutely NOT intended to change gears while in motion.

If you want “shift on the go” you’ll need a friction disk transmission (like on Snapper rear engine riders) or a vari-drive (like some Sears and, I think, early JDs) or a hydrostatic!

Chris1986

Sorry I wasn't more specific but while I'm using the machine I will push in the clutch and brake to switch gears and it acts like it's jammed. It does not want to switch gears or come out of gear. Unless I shut the engine off then and release the brake then I can get it out of gear.

Edited by Chris1986
More info

Handy Don
4 minutes ago, Chris1986 said:

Sorry I wasn't more specific but while I'm using the machine I will push in the clutch and brake to switch gears and it acts like it's jammed. It does not want to switch gears or come out of gear.

Can you confirm that the drive belt (from the engine to the transaxles). as well as the tractor, is coming to a full stop when you depress the clutch/brake?

Edited by Handy Don

TonyToro Jr.
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Can you confirm that the drive belt (from the engine to the transaxles). as well as the tractor, is coming to a full stop when you depress the clutch/brake?

:text-yeahthat: might be too much tension and not able to disengage all the way.

• Like 1

Gasaholic

Belt under tension , quite likely if it started happening all by itself with no service work being done anywhere on tractor, you could have a belt guide bent from a twig or something catching on belt, could have an oil leak that is making belt stick to engine pulley, could just have worn idler arm bushing or idler arm, lot of possibilities but all belt related.  Check the frame and the stabilizer /torsion brackets and transmission mounting too - cracked frame, loose bolts, broken stabilizer bracket can allow transmission to slip around or twist out of alignment as well. 

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

• Like 1