JoeM

Taryl Works on WH with Problematic Onan Ign

JoeM

• Like 2

lynnmor

I had more faith in Taryl before watching that video.  Anyone can toss parts at an engine hoping something good might happen.  He made no effort to test the parts and I thought he would have known to keep the choke closed while playing with small parts.  Be aware that the engine was knackered by the owner who used an oddball coil.

• Like 1

Gasaholic

I have seen a couple or three of his videos as a customer or other said "I watched Taryl do this, so I figured it was the right way to do something"  The guy is an idiot with no real understanding of how and why something works the way it was designed , but rather he'll "make it work" (Rather than properly diagnosing a running issue, for example, he simply resized a carburetor jet, or made some other "backyard" modification.)  When I worked in Automotive (Ford Dealership) there were the equivalent "car guys" that we professionals disparagingly referred to as "Gomers" (as in Gomer Pyle)  and a lot of their repairs or fixes were simply a matter of luck ("Because I replaced this part, everything worked again"... but not understanding that they would have gotten the same result by removing and cleaning up the old part, or it was the stuff they removed and then reassembled that fixed the issue, at least temporarily.) or mis-information. (Fixing a 2-stroke by adjusting the carburetor without fixing the real problem which might have been simply a stiffened diaphragm or pinhole in fuel line, etc.)  I gave up watching or putting any faith in these YouTube guys , especially those with a "Schtick" like Taryl - the only thing they are in it for is to sell YouTube views and subscriptions to make money.  I didn't even bother to watch that video, because I am pretty sure about half his information would be incorrect or missing the mark...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

RED-Z06

Guy seriously has no idea...it takes a couple minutes to test and diagnose the ign on these using a test light.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JoeM

yep, would have troubleshot it before tearing into it. But who knows he may have?

Some takeaways.

Nice to see what's under the flywheel. ie magnetic ring, sensor etc. Some have never seen these apart.

Another would be that extremely expensive sensor is in a aftermarket kit. I have seen two of those sensors bad and finding one at a cheap price is a hunt.

I guess the Onans on the JD machines suffer too. 

I prefer using a puller on the flywheel. Might be okay on some smaller stuff to wack it but not going to do that on a Onan. 

3 hours ago, lynnmor said:

keep the choke closed while playing with small parts

:text-yeahthat:4 sure.

• Like 1

RED-Z06
3 minutes ago, JoeM said:

yep, would have troubleshot it before tearing into it. But who knows he may have?

Some takeaways.

Nice to see what's under the flywheel. ie magnetic ring, sensor etc. Some have never seen these apart.

Another would be that extremely expensive sensor is in a aftermarket kit. I have seen two of those sensors bad and finding one at a cheap price is a hunt.

I guess the Onans on the JD machines suffer too. 

I prefer using a puller on the flywheel. Might be okay on some smaller stuff to wack it but not going to do that on a Onan. 

:text-yeahthat:4 sure.

Easiest way to test these is to check for 12v at the coil + at key on.  If its there, see if you get a flashing 12v test light on the coil - while cranking.  No flashing means bad pickup. If its flashing and you have 12v but no spark...bad coil.

The flywheel usually comes up pretty easy on these with a mallet...i push a screwdriver behind the flywheel at the timing cover, put the crank bolt in until just off flush, usually 1 or 2 smacks it pops off the taper.  I have spare flywheels but haven't needed one yet.

• Like 2

lynnmor

I made a simple flywheel puller, no need to hammer on crankshafts.

IMG_2147.JPG.9355ff0b5979b6fbb0fbfdccf46d89c2.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

RED-Z06
20 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I made a simple flywheel puller, no need to hammer on crankshafts.

IMG_2147.JPG.9355ff0b5979b6fbb0fbfdccf46d89c2.JPG

Pullers are a last resort after impact and heat for me, pullers put more stress on the center because you're building up to the force needed vs a quick burst...its still the same mechanical result...pushing the crank and flywheel in different directions to unseat the taper.  

• Like 1

lynnmor

I wonder why Onan has a puller in the factory toolkit?  Prying with a screwdriver is not a good idea.

• Like 1

kpinnc
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

I wonder why Onan has a puller in the factory toolkit?  Prying with a screwdriver is not a good idea.

I always thought Taryl existed primarily for "slapstick mechanics". This video confirmed the theory for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, lynnmor said:

Not sure.  Briggs and Tecumseh had Flywheel knockers that shouldered onto the crank bolt hole, or over the snout and the manuals said to gently pry up, then hit the knocker with a hammer.  A puller is certainly one way to do it, but you do run the risk of damaging the crank threads or Flywheel holes if there is some issue in removal.  In outboard school my teacher had issues with Pullers on the outboard flywheels sometimes so he turned an air chisel bit down so it just cleared the threads...then pried up and hit the air chisel for a couple seconds...always came right off.

• Like 1

Tuneup

I watch to hear the engines finally run but he always spoils it while I'm listening closely with his "Wooooooo". He did it again while I was trying to determine if one cylinder was dead. Ah well, he's not for me.

• Like 1

953 nut
6 minutes ago, Tuneup said:

watch to hear the engines finally run

You are a better man than I am, after a couple minutes II couldn't take any more and shut it off!               :bitch:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1