new to horses

Correct?

new to horses

I need assistance in knowing if this solenoid is hooked up right??? Also when I try to start it as shown the red wires with the fuse get hot, not crazy hot, I can still touch them. Is that normal?

IMG_0074.jpeg

Rick3478

Looks right.  The little red wire carries all the current to everything but the starter, and also the charging current.  I wouldn't expect it to get hot, though.  Maybe something else wrong, like shorted rectifier/regulator, safety interlock, or even hour meter?

rmaynard

What year is the 312-8? I'm concerned about the heat. 

new to horses
2 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

What year is the 312-8? I'm concerned about the heat. 

It’s what I believe to be a 1996 or 97… model number 73363. I should add it blew a 20 amp fuse… it should have a 25 amp fuse I know but I didn’t have one so I replaced it with a 30…

Edited by new to horses

953 nut

The electric demand without lights on should be minimal. Your charging currant should be less than twenty amps and your ignition (if it has a Magnum engine) is self powered. Check all of your wires tom seem if something isn't pinched or abraded where it will make contact with ground.

new to horses
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

The electric demand without lights on should be minimal. Your charging currant should be less than twenty amps and your ignition (if it has a Magnum engine) is self powered. Check all of your wires tom seem if something isn't pinched or abraded where it will make contact with ground.

Not to sound like an idiot but I’m at my limit with electrical… I’m terrible with it and have limited knowledge on what to do next.

Rick3478
1 hour ago, new to horses said:

Not to sound like an idiot but I’m at my limit with electrical… I’m terrible with it and have limited knowledge on what to do next.

Need to figure out where all that current is going.  I'd arm myself with a wiring diagram and a meter with a high current range.  In the absence of meter, a 12V incandescent light bulb can serve as a current indicator.  Substitute light bulb for the fuse and observe brightness.  Start unplugging things, and if the bulb dims or goes out you know a bunch of current was going there.  My money's on the rectifier/regulator, but you could have worn through the seat switch wire somewhere, and there are other possibilities.  Found diagram elsewhere on the forum.

73363wiring.jpg

• Like 1

new to horses
9 hours ago, Rick3478 said:

Need to figure out where all that current is going.  I'd arm myself with a wiring diagram and a meter with a high current range.  In the absence of meter, a 12V incandescent light bulb can serve as a current indicator.  Substitute light bulb for the fuse and observe brightness.  Start unplugging things, and if the bulb dims or goes out you know a bunch of current was going there.  My money's on the rectifier/regulator, but you could have worn through the seat switch wire somewhere, and there are other possibilities.  Found diagram elsewhere on the forum.

73363wiring.jpg

Seat switch was bypassed by previous owner along with most of the other safety switches

Rick3478
17 minutes ago, new to horses said:

Seat switch was bypassed by previous owner along with most of the other safety switches

Add white-out to your toolbox. :lol:

oliver2-44

Those bypasses may be a good area to look for poor wiring work by the previous owner

• Like 2