Skwerl58

K 321 fuel pump, carb issue

Skwerl58

My 1054 has started leaking fuel from the carb as it is starting. Fresh rebuild and tear down checking for trash and it is clean. I have an electric pump installed and am going to change back to the factory fuel pump. Mine has the pump with the priming lever and am wondering if a standard pump k321 pump will work.  Then and now has the kit for the pumps and I may go that route but asking for others experience with this. Thanks.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Having changed over to the electric pump and given the better reliability of those I'd be prone to fixing THAT issue.

What's the constant pressure on the pump?

Have the fuel lines been replaced very recently?

Was the tank cleaned out?

Are you burning non ethanol fuel?

I don't specifically know of any reason why another pump of similar era won't work but I don't have any Kohler big blocks that vintage to work on yet.

I'll be curious to see what the other answers are.

• Like 1

ri702bill

I for one am a huge fan of the OE pumps with the priming lever. Have one on my 854 and Dad's 702. 

Watch out for fuel leaks at the lever "seal".

Bill

• Like 2

Handy Don
43 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

OE pumps with the priming lever

Oddly, we have one of these on our 312-H--unlikely to be original to that tractor!

I was thinking of swapping it with the “ordinary” one on the 854 -- more authentic, don’t you think -- and then remembered the “if it ain’t broke...” axiom.

I haven’t used an electric pump, as three of ours are standard camshaft lever pumps. Two got “new to us" cleaning/overhaul and new diaphragms. The fourth is the standard pulse pump on the Onan. All work just fine--a few extra seconds cranking to start after a longish sleep is ok with me.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Oddly, we have one of these on our 312-H--unlikely to be original to that tractor!

I was thinking of swapping it with the “ordinary” one on the 854 -- more authentic, don’t you think -- and then remembered the “if it ain’t broke...” axiom.

I haven’t used an electric pump, as three of ours are standard camshaft lever pumps. Two got “new to us" cleaning/overhaul and new diaphragms. The fourth is the standard pulse pump on the Onan. All work just fine--a few extra seconds cranking to start after a longish sleep is ok with me.

Don, would a 12 (big block) pump swap to an 8 (small block)?

That extra crank time could be nearly eliminated with a primer bulb. I have them in a couple tractors. 

Works excellent.  

Handy Don
52 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Don, would a 12 (big block) pump swap to an 8 (small block)?

And another excellent reason to leave well enough alone. ;)

Next time I’m changing fuel lines, I would consider adding in a primer bulb but I’ve got enough projects on my plate that I’m not looking for more.

Actually, I suspect the pumps mount and work the same. I’m gonna check some IPLs now. :eusa-think:

Skwerl58

After posting I went and took the old pump off. I took it apart and the diaphagm was grungy so I sprayed lube on it and carefully took it out and cleaned it. The spring was also crudded up so I cleaned it. The two valves at the outlet and inlet were rusted, crudded up so I shot them with lube and then carb cleaner and with a small screwdriver started cleaning the crud off. After a careful cleaning I re-assembled it and pumped the rod a few times and it worked. I got the tractor running with the old pump. Crazy how some stuff just works even when it shouldn't. Fuel is no longer coming out of the carb.The pump is not metal but plastic with the lever. Thanks for the great replies!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

would a 12 (big block) pump swap to an 8 (small block)?

:no:

The arm that operates the pump on a small block is offset to the right while the big block arm is straight. Photo courtesy of Paul @pfrederi .

IMG_0045.JPG

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Skwerl58 said:

I got the tractor running with the old pump

NIIIIICE !!! 

Handy Don
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The arm that operates the pump on a small block is offset to the right while the big block arm is straight. Photo courtesy of Paul @pfrederi .

Well, Mr. Quick-on-the-Draw you got there ahead of me. I found the different part numbers but hadn’t found the reason yet!

Good job and thanks!

image.png.e57d26ca82640391c5c3821d942cb880.png

• Thanks 1