RandyLittrell

1949 Allis Chalmers C

peter lena

@RandyLittrell   very nice unit  ! liked that post war period , the overbuilding / bombproof anything was evident ,have anywhere you can do a little , ground conversion ? mechanical reduction , marvelous stuff. go grandpa ! Pete

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:eusa-clap:

• Thanks 1

RJ Hamner

My in-laws had one on their place in Cross Timbers, MO

It had the wide front instead of a tricycle.

The kids loved it when they were little (in their 40's now)

Nice find

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I bought a 1949 Allis C and it's a nice little tractor. 

Even the wife approves!!

Niiiice.  

The wife part should probably make you a little nervous though.  

:lol:

• Haha 1

Pullstart

Very sweet!  

• Thanks 1

T-Mo

Randy,

If you haven't found it yet, a good AC forum is https://www.allischalmers.com/FORUM/forums.html

Someone above mentioned a wide front "C", that may have been a "B" which was a "C" but with a wide front.  Same engine, trans, etc, but just a wide front.  But there may have been a kit from the factory to convert a C to a wide front.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

The Model B was too small to work two crop rows at once. Allis-Chalmers briefly adapted the Allis-Chalmers Model WC as the RC from 1938 to 1941, but it proved expensive, so the B was adapted with wider wheel spacing options, a larger engine, and additional fuel options. The Model C used the RC's 125-cubic-inch (2,050 cc) Allis-Chalmers 4-cylinder engine, with gasoline and distillate fuel options. The C inherited the B's three-speed transmission, power take-off and hydraulics.[1][2][3][4]

84,020 Model Cs were built at the Allis-Chalmers plant in West Allis, Wisconsin. In 1949 a Model C sold for about $1,200.[3]

Model CA[edit]

Starting in 1949, the Model C was replaced by the Model CA, with greater power, allowing it to be rated as a two-plow tractor. The engine remained the same, but turned at a higher RPM and had a higher degree or compression, yielding 11 percent more power. It was provided with a new four-speed transmission, and power assist rear wheel adjustment was introduced. The CA was produced with single and narrow dual wheel front ends, and an adjustable wide front axle.[5][6][4]

39,499 CAs were produced at West Allis until 1958, with a 1958 price of about $1,900

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
4 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Same engine, trans, etc, but just a wide front. 

I usually ID a B from a C by the wheel hubs. The C had 5 bolt hubs on the rear axle.

PXL_20231021_222819201.jpg

On a B, the cast center of the rear rim had splines and was held on to the splined axle with a single nut. This system was prone to wear.

Allis.thumb.jpg.588667e8d0746f79c91f852a1b2d0647.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell
11 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Randy,

If you haven't found it yet, a good AC forum is https://www.allischalmers.com/FORUM/forums.html

Yup, already a member and have joined a couple of facebook groups just learn a little bit. 

I had been looking for quite a while, I picked the C with a narrow front end so that I can get it, and a couple of garden tractors plus an old golfcart I picked up this summer on the trailer at the same time.

I have a Case VAC, but it need a bunch of work and it's a 1000 lbs heavier, so it would limit what else I can haul with it. 

Hoping to do more shows next year!! 

Randy

RandyLittrell
On 10/22/2023 at 1:03 PM, RJ Hamner said:

My in-laws had one on their place in Cross Timbers, MO

I picked this up south of there in Springfield. 

Randy

John2189
12 hours ago, T-Mo said:

Randy,

Someone above mentioned a wide front "C", that may have been a "B" which was a "C" but with a wide front.  Same engine, trans, etc, but just a wide front.  But there may have been a kit from the factory to convert a C to a wide front.

The C did have a wide front option. 

The later Bs did have the 5 bolt wheel center because of the spline coming loose.

Also the B  rear end final drives are narrower than the C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1