moe1965

Get a new drive belt or increase idler pulley size

moe1965

I m currently working on a 1990 ish  wheel horse classic I just saved from the scrap yard and have most of the bugs worked out except the drive belt to the trans seems  to be a little sloppy. Going up a incline in 3 rd  it almost stops.  Putting it in 2nd or 1st no issue.   I'm thinking about changing the idler pulley to a 1/2 in or 1 in bigger to take up some of the slack instead of getting a new belt.    Any thoughts ????   If I get a new belt I can't find the correct size.  Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.  Thanks in advance 

IMG_20231021_121650249.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut

First thing to look at is the right side foot rest.   If the foot rest has been bumped in toward the tractor it can bind the clutch arm preventing it from returning all the way. There is also a clutch damper that could be a problem.

A new belt is always a good idea if you haven't changed it in the past couple of years. I have been using the Tractor Supply Kevlar belts with great success. A 5/8" by 82" belt will do the trick.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, moe1965 said:

the drive belt to the trans seems  to be a little sloppy.

Is the belt slipping or something else causing the power loss.      Input pulley key,  hub/axle key,  roll pin sheared in cross shaft, weak clutch spring, idler pully bearing

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

TonyToro Jr.

If you put a bigger pulley it would make the tractor faster. And you probably would have to get a new belt. So I would recommend just getting the right size belt from Tractor Supply.

Edited by TonyToro Jr.
  • Like 1

wallfish

More\stronger tension for the idler pulley on the belt like a new spring instead of that gas spring thingy. Use your toe under the clutch pedal and pull back on it while going up the hill in 3rd gear. If that solves the slipping issue then more tension will too.

A new belt if the one on there isn't the correct size.

Sometimes the sides of the belt can get glazed and extra smooth from the slipping and heat from it.

• Like 2

moe1965

I t looks like it's not the original belt so I'm  going to start there I wasn't going to change the trans drive pulley but the idler pulley I don't think that would increase the tractor speed.

• Like 1

peter lena

@moe1965 that  idler belt pulley . tension spot , needs some detailing . eliminate the gas tension unit , original extension spring works best , 2  main problem spots , rusty / no lubrication connection aerosol penetrating oil , MAKES THE RUST RUN OUT , then red grease aerosol can extension tube , also do the lift arm side bushings under the shift plate , penetrating oil , lift lever , top push spring point , rust run out . personally replaced the idler pulley with a larger bearing type , remove side grease shields ns RE GREASE , for quiet / smooth operation . once done on one of my units , verified , solid improvement , now all 3 have the same correction areas . other areas also , just ask , pete 

• Like 1