uglyblue66

electric horses needed a little freind.

uglyblue66

So i bought this Bonanza for 12 bucks at auction, used a electric mobility scooter drive train and 36 volts , picked up a cheap pwm off the internet. It is not a torque machine but at 26 inches wide and light enough 2 people could carry it, it will be handy to haul for a show rider. It was also something I wanted to do,a conversion. I learned alot and will do any future conversions alot different.

KIMG1347[1].JPG

KIMG1346[2].JPG

KIMG1348[1].JPG

KIMG0964[1].JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

CasualObserver

Clever, and nice resto-mod.  Did you document any of the actual build? I'd love to see a write up on that.  Always thought those little tractors with a trunk were kind of fun. Would make a nice little flea market/swap meet runabout.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Nice work!  Simplicity had those little trunks too on some, right?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Nice!!! :eusa-clap:

Any details on the build would be appreciated! Batteries, motor, drive system etc...

Achto
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Simplicity had those little trunks too on some, right?

On the SunRunners

392621917_SimplicitySunrunner.jpg.491077b39d266dd8f0838493920697e6.jpg

• Like 4

WHX??
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Nice work!  Simplicity had those little trunks too on some, right?

Tamara has one Kev. It says Gambles on it but I think they were badged Monkey Wards too. Forget who it was thst actually made them. I wanna say Roper???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto
11 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Forget who it was thst actually made them.

Were made by General Appliance Manufacturing. To my knowledge they were branded as Bonanza, Gambles, Maverick and Arctic Cat. 

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Achto
3 hours ago, uglyblue66 said:

KIMG1348[1].JPG

Great job!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Did you keep the "Shock Free Steering" ? They were pretty proud of that feature.

• Haha 1

uglyblue66
To save typing I copied and pasted what I had typed on smokstak.

Ok so, I have had this little project since july 3rd. I had a friend bid on it for me at the auction at the threshers reunion. It was in deplorable shape but was CHEAP.
1 of the things on my bucket list of hobby stuff was to do a electric conversion on a lawn tractor.
And this 1 seemed to be a fine canidate as it was missing it's engine,it's wheels. half the transmission, seat, and was rusted and bent up. All the remaining pulleys and such were eat up and ruined. The hood has a flip up door cut into it I guess to be able to pull the rope on a incorrect engine replacement at some point.I will be fixing all that.
I have it to a point that I have been able to drive it some. BUT I am going to have to change the throttle system a bit. That is why i decided to go ahead and post about it, I think some of you may be able to help me.

I Used the transaxle from a handicap scooter. it was 24 volt. BUT it seems to be the same as 1 built by this company that says their transaxles will operate on 24-36 volts.
https://www.asidrives.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/ASI_Datasheet-Mark-400-Slip-Sheet-1.pdf
I used this PWM controller.
I know to read that rating with a grain of salt . I don't feel like the load I will be placing on it is over 1100 watts. So it should be ok.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...il_item.3.646af19c6dCclA&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Due to lack of external brakes,I will be using this kit on the transaxle,I will be getting a sleeve to adapt down to the 3/4 size axle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1434946451...d=link&campid=5335842199&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
I had to get 2 of these to make the wheels fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1645950614...d=link&campid=5335842199&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
I am attempting to use a throttle assembly like this 1, except I had intended to replace the 5k pot with the 10 k that came with the controller, but I am having a issue.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2560186263...d=link&campid=5335842199&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

The issue is the "arc" of the pot is where the issue is. On the assembly,it is only moved about 120 degrees of it's possible 300 degrees of rotation. For a golf cart curtis controller that is great. BUT this controller I am using from wangfooy china, has a pot that uses it's full 300+ degrees of rotation.
I have read about and found this,a hall effect thingy? I can't find the link I had to 1 that was 20 bucks,but this is similar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3241749585...d=link&campid=5335842199&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I have also read about this "shunting " thing,

I want to use the golf cart throttle assembly because it has a switch for cutting a solenoid on and off which works great for safety,let off the throttle,the power is cut off. I will also be putting a switch on the brake assemble to cut power when brake is applied.
BUT and here is the question,how can I modify the system so I can put a potentiometer in the throttle assembly and it only having the 120 degree or so arc in which to go from 0 to full power with this type controller?
HELP! I have another controller ordered so I can experiment and have plans to sit down and use "shunting" to change the arc of the pot but I want input and other ideas
Here are some photos of the project. And yes, this dang thing will MOVE for it's size. Scary fast for it's size actually.
Hehehe, and just think, as the last photo shows, a 15 inch bed that never has to be made!
I did all the sandblasting myself to, nasty ,hot work
The last pic should be the brake mechanism. 74th try must have been the charm as it finally works.
Wound up the lining broke and came unglued from the band, I put Model T Ford transmission band material on it and it works fine.

And yes I still would like to know how to alter the usable arc of operation on the potentiometer if anyone knows.

KIMG0977[1].JPG

KIMG0995[1].JPG

KIMG0998[1].JPG

KIMG1011[1].JPG

KIMG1028[1].JPG

KIMG1029[1].JPG

KIMG1349[1].JPG

Edited by uglyblue66
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

uglyblue66
8 hours ago, Achto said:

Great job!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Did you keep the "Shock Free Steering" ? They were pretty proud of that feature.

Uh, to be honest, the steering was very worn but i got things fixed so it works, does not seem shock free to me.

• Excellent 1

uglyblue66

I did ALOT of googleing the other night and found a website full of geeks and 1 of them had posted a link to these, 90 degree pot's so hopefully when they come in the mail I have 3 to experiment with to see if I can make the foot accelerator work,which will be much easier to drive than with  the knob for speed control..

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805878724265.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.3ab5f19cy6kzax&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Edited by uglyblue66