tunahead72

Ad blockers not allowed on YouTube?

tunahead72

Is this something new?

I've been using Adblock Plus for years on my laptop, ever since I learned it was a thing, and especially since I saw how useful it was to keep away those annoying ads on YouTube.  All of a sudden this evening, I'm listening to some tunes on YT, and the music stops and I get a little pop-up screen that looks something like this:

Ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube
  • It looks like you may be using an ad blocker.
  • Ads allow YouTube to be used by billions worldwide.
  • You can go ad-free with YouTube Premium, and creators can still get paid from your subscription.

If I close that screen, I can start playing the video right where it left off, and I can keep listening until the message comes back to bother me again.

I haven't looked into Premium, but if it's not free I probably won't be interested, although at this point I'm pretty much addicted to their product. :music-guitarred:

Just curious if anybody else has seen this. :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

JoeM

I use YouTube a lot and use premium. 

Compared to other streaming stuff it is a bargain not to have to deal with an add especially in the middle of the vids. 6 7 or 8 adds in an hour long one.

I will say a vast majority of creators are inserting adds of there own in the vids. Just short patron type stuff, but still a small support my sponsor thing.

Figure that will go next. There is a price on everything these days nothing is free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor

I am getting the ad blocker thing on YouTube and more and more sites.  Most of the time I just decide I didn't want to see that anyway and move on.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

My YouTube channel is close to the subscriber count and hours viewed to have ads.  There is an incredible amount of time put into each video posted, that I don’t get anything out of other than enjoyment.  Some day, I hope to make a dollar or maybe even $10.  I’ve had some videos that were hot enough that YT placed their own ad on it, but I made no revenue.  

• Thanks 1

CCW

When it gets to the point I am forced to watch all the ads I will stop visiting YT.  I have been using Ghostery for years very effectively.

• Thanks 2

nylyon

Ads have been part of content delivery since the inception of television. While no one wants to see repetitive ads, companies need to advertise their products to consumers, and digital content is the most effective way.  While I don't like my South Main Auto video's cut off just when Eric O is about to pull the wheel bearing out, it's how YouTube pays their bills and pays the creators so they continue to create content to be viewed.  Ads = content, always has. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

I don't do too much YouTube but one thing that has gotten my attention lately is some programs I've recorded on TV have advertising can't be fast forwarded, now that is just too much!     :soapbox: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I don't do too much YouTube but one thing that has gotten my attention lately is some programs I've recorded on TV have advertising can't be fast forwarded, now that is just too much!     :soapbox: 

Refer to post #6 :)

• Like 1

lynnmor
6 hours ago, CCW said:

When it gets to the point I am forced to watch all the ads I will stop visiting YT.  I have been using Ghostery for years very effectively.

I have used Ghostery for years but now they are able to detect it and prevent viewing sites.  While ads are a necessary evil, I don’t like to have cookies and other things on my computer.

• Thanks 1

CCW
18 hours ago, lynnmor said:

I have used Ghostery for years but now they are able to detect it and prevent viewing sites.  While ads are a necessary evil, I don’t like to have cookies and other things on my computer.

The way I avoid most cookies is I use two browsers.  One for sites used daily like my newspapers.  When I do shopping or searching I use the second browser and set it to delete all cooking when it closes. I also never use Google for my searching.  My primary search engine is startpage.com 

• Thanks 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, CCW said:

The way I avoid most cookies is I use two browsers.  One for sites used daily like my newspapers.  When I do shopping or searching I use the second browser and set it to delete all cooking when it closes. I also never use Google for my searching.  My primary search engine is startpage.com 

This slows ‘em down a bit but doesn’t stop them. The address of your internet connection (and other data) for the computer is the same (unless you are also using a VPN or Onion).

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Advertising is needed to sell something, that‘s clear.

In TV the Advertising time nearly raises the same time as a good movie what is strange imho.

Thats my reason i have just once a Month the TV Active.

I didn‘t like Soaps or Games-Tv or more worse „Reality TV“, but if i like to see a good Movie, i watch it on a streaming portal.

On YouTube the permanent advertising annoy‘s me also.

Another reason i stop using my Account for the moment.

if it is on the Start or in the End i can deal with, but all 30 sec. a advertising ad is imho a nono for me.

The bigger they become, the more ads they place.

That is my feeling about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

During the big ‘20 shut down, I made sure to watch as much YouTube from musicians as possible, and maintaining to NOT skip ads.  Some were 10+ minutes long but it was an easy way for me to help out those not working like they were used to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1