ML3

Snowblower wings???

ML3

Opinions.....

The side wings on snowblower I've seen some using them installed & others with them removed. Obviously with them installed it covers a wider area but that's really not an issue for me. My driveway is new cement, flat/level, & not real big. 

IMG_20230402_133104750_HDR~2.jpg

• Like 1

ri702bill

I added entension wings to the sides of my early 32" snowblower - worth the effort.

P1010176.JPG

• Like 2

wallfish

It all depends upon the HP you are are running it with. Small 8hp, ditch the wings. Big 16 to 20 hp, definitely add them. In between is a preference thing IMO.

The other factor is how long do you really want to be out there freezing your @#!!$ off? Then driveway size could factor in

• Like 3

mrc

without the wings the blower is only 36 inches wide.   depending on what rear tires you have your tractor is about 37-40 inches wide. (see the issue?)   in my experience i want the blower to clear a wider path than my tractor.  otherwise your tires will be packing down snow just outside of where you just cleared.   also when turning your tractor will generally be in a clear spot if you have the wings installed.  

regards

mike

• Like 1

ML3
8 hours ago, wallfish said:

It all depends upon the HP you are are running it with. Small 8hp, ditch the wings. Big 16 to 20 hp, definitely add them. In between is a preference thing IMO.

The other factor is how long do you really want to be out there freezing your @#!!$ off? Then driveway size could factor in

The tractor is a C105. 

ML3
6 hours ago, mrc said:

without the wings the blower is only 36 inches wide.   depending on what rear tires you have your tractor is about 37-40 inches wide. (see the issue?)   in my experience i want the blower to clear a wider path than my tractor.  otherwise your tires will be packing down snow just outside of where you just cleared.   also when turning your tractor will generally be in a clear spot if you have the wings installed.  

regards

mike

Makes sense about the width. Ultimately I really need a 2 stage setup as I live in northeast Ohio primary snow belt. That will require getting a larger tractor. (Been looking) Want something like a 520 Hydro. Snowblower, especially a 2 stage, is a bit heavy to manually lift with my sciatica issues 

peter lena

@ML3 notice your  auger issues , https://www.google.com/search?q=adjustable+wrench&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&oq=adjustable+wrench+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQAB have a couple of these ? put one on top of the other at the auger bend sight , work in opposed directions , for easy bend removal . there is a lot of related mechanical movement  connected to that . chain / cable lubricant on the auger chain ? adjusted properly ? belt driven pulley idlers / frame lubricated / move easily ?  found a thorough verification of  movement ease , at every stage , is vital  for easy use , had 2 of them , Pete

Ed Kennell

I feel the wings are needed on the single stage blowers to insure a wide enough path is cleared for the rear wheels.

My experiences with the single stage blowers indicated you must run the blower at wide open throttle and vary the tractor ground speed to keep the blower housing full of snow to prevent chute clogging.       IMO, to do this efficiently, a hydro is required.      The hyd lift is also required for us old lazy guys.

• Like 1

ML3
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

@ML3 notice your  auger issues , https://www.google.com/search?q=adjustable+wrench&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&oq=adjustable+wrench+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQAB have a couple of these ? put one on top of the other at the auger bend sight , work in opposed directions , for easy bend removal . there is a lot of related mechanical movement  connected to that . chain / cable lubricant on the auger chain ? adjusted properly ? belt driven pulley idlers / frame lubricated / move easily ?  found a thorough verification of  movement ease , at every stage , is vital  for easy use , had 2 of them , Pete

I got chain adjusted & pulleys, etc all move freely. Guy I got blower from used it last winter. It definitely needed a couple adjustments. Like I said before I really need to get a 2 stage setup (definitely w/hydro) so I don't wanna go re- engineering this snowblower. I do have a big Toro 2 stage walk behind if needed. 

• Like 1

moe1965

ML3 there was a nice two stage in Grafton Ohio not to long ago it was on Craigslist or on marketplace.   That's not to far from you 

• Like 1

peter lena

@ML3  glad you are on it , just regularly staying after  anything is better than nothing , also had and sold a 2 stage  horse unit , was solid neglect when I got it ,  spent a couple of weeks on it , improving everything , especially the drive unit on top of the blower , new sprocket / chain , correct lubrication , moved easily , typically ITS THE COLLECTIVE DRAG OF NEGLECT , that  makes things fail . good luck in your search . Pete